Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 December Manhattan Beach
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  06:32:34 AM  Show Profile
A bit early, but Mahina will be in town so we are having a Kani ka pila here the Wed between Christmas and New Years - December 28th. I'm posting now in case any one else out there has travel plans, or has time to make a trip down from central Cal, and for certain, up from San Diego county. It'll start early and go late - of course kau kau.
I'm hoping some of you from San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura etc will venture away from home then. We have quite a bit of room for you to stay.
Aloha!
nancy

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  06:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Nancy & da rest of da South Bay Slacker guys,

I would love to meet all of you, and I may be down Christmas week to visit my brother. You may have seen him playing folk & jazz in the coffee shops around Redondo and Hermosa with my sister-in-law.

They are active in NAMM and do the newsletter for FPA (Finger Pickers Association)and wanted to see if anyone could be a guest slack-key player for one of their meetings. Mostly older guys doing Chet Atkins, but they'd get a kick out of hearing some slack key, if there are any volunteers.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  07:05:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
Hope to see you when you're here!! Have him look me up in the phone book on Marine and give me a call. There are several good players around who may be happy to be a guest including my kumu. Also, Henry Kamae lives in No. LB - not so far. Doug and Jay are also very good and work close by. Maybe this will pull out some local lurkers! I hope so. I don't know where he is or what he's doing, but Jeff Watson plays beautiful steel if there's any interest in that sometime. He was here both when Jesse and when Uncle Karl were here, but haven't seen or heard from him since.
See you soon!!
mahalo and aloha
n
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  10:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all -
Kanikapila still happening on Wed Dec 28th - Kiwini (steve Corioso) and Mahina (Maggine Matoba) will both be here! So will Uncle Chuck Ka'imikaua and his lovely wife Iolana. I look forward to seeing all of you who can make it here -
auntie n
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Kanikapila at Pua's house..Mmmm-m-m-m
I'll try to be there, kinda tough on a weekday, will have to play it by ear, but I would love to attend.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Good news Pua...we can make your shingdig. I'll bring you some potted banana trees for your garden. I'll trade them for a plumeria cutting. What you want us to bring to the party? Give me a call.
Are you going to the Makaha Sons/Hookena concert this Saturday?
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Howdy - I know this is a pretty old thread, but where do y'all meet? Say - between 9 and 13 January 06? I may have a business meeting in Huntington Beach that gets me out of Central Texas for a few days. I'd love to get to meet some fellow TP'ers. 'Specially after listening through the TP CD set (on my 5th time through now.)

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:25:53 AM  Show Profile
HI there!
Have you made travel plans yet? The 8th is a workshop in MB and then concert in Torrance (all close to Huntington Beach) with Herb Ohta jr, Keoki Kahumoku and Daniel Ho.
Folks get together at Island Bazaar in HB on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Also, being the second Wed, the SCSKS folks should be down in Oceanside (not all that far). If you're interested in a private lesson, Uncle Chuck is excellent and inexpensive - up in Torrance.
Lemme know you're schedule and I'll fill it up for you -
Where are you flying in and out of? I live right by LAX - but if you can get into Long Beach, that is way better for you.
pua kai aka auntie nancy
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Nancy! Thanks for the quick response.

It's now a sure thing. I'll be coming that week, and will adjust my plans to get there, hopefully in time for the workshop. I'll have to adjust the arrival time with the hotel.

I don't know how much I can fit into one week, but am willing. There is one kanikapila problem... my guitar is not yet travel-worthy. I'd have to get a travel case for it, or borrow a guitar there.

I am still not quite familiar with the area, though I've been from John Wayne Airport to HB and back a couple of times. Didn't get out much on those trips. So I'll need some street addresses to do the map search on the Internet, or some really good directions if you don't have street addresses to all these places.

I am SO Excited!!! Today, I found a hula halau about 20 miles from my home (about 5 miles from where I work) whose founder plays ukulele and slack key. I meet him tomorrow. I may finally have someone to kanikapila with here in the middle of Texas!

Let me know details, when I should plan on arriving to make the driving time to the workshop, etc.... Mahalo

Frank

Frank

Edited by - HeartOTexas on 12/22/2005 1:55:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  08:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Frank -
I sent you an e-mail. Let me know if that is a good way to work out details.
n

PLUS:
The Kani ka pila is still on for Wednesday starting at 2:00. Some folks have to leave early, some can't come 'til after work... for the rest of you, come early, stay late.
Maggie Matoba from Oregon will be here. Steve Corioso, Kiwini will be here (in for the night). The Ka`imikauas, Dusty, Sheila, Rik, Donna, Steve Felton??, John Dietz?, Doug Katsumoto?, Bill and Vicki?, C-Patch?, Kiniki?, and in spirit, Uncle Karl, and HapaKid. Keith will be in Hawai'i. I think he really just commutes to the mainland for work...
Is anyone out there to JAM with H.O.T. when he's here? See posts above.
Mele Kalikimaka!!
n
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  06:31:25 AM  Show Profile
just a reminder -
Tomorrow, 2:00 - come early stay late...
600 Marine ave -
We may actually get to play out on the back porch like usual, but the fire is ready to be lit inside as well.
See you then!!
auntie
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  08:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Had a wonderful time at Pua Kai's kanikapila yesterday. Mucho Mahalo's to Nancy for hosting another great time of food, music, and good friends. Yours truly, and PuaHo along with her friend literally ate our way up the coast to Nancy's house, stopping along the way at various Hawaiian eateries and shops.
Nice to see Kiwini once again from Gilroy, Dusty & Sheila, and Doug, also Uncle Mahi and Yolanda. A nice surprise to finally meet Mahina from Oregon (that is a state right?)and her husband (sorry I forgot his name), her sister from L.A.. We all had quite a good time singing, playing slack, and even Ukulele's. The food was ono-liscous too.
Thank you once again Nancy for being such a gracious host and dear friend.

E OLA MAU KI HO'ALU
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  7:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Happily posting these photos provided by Pua Kai...

Doug Katsumoto

Maggie Matoba (Mahina)

Iolana Ka'imikaua, Donna (Mrs Slkho), Shiela (Mrs Dusty)

Uncle Chuck Ka'imikaua (Mahi) with Dusty

Uncle Chuck, Dusty, Kiwini

Mahina, slkho

Mahina, slkho

Auntie Ka'imikaua, Kiwini

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  2:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the pics! Wish I had been there.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:01:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, THANK YOU, Auntie N for the wonderful pictures. I will listen to the CD set with a new appreciation. (only been all the way through it 5 times so far.)

Thanks also, for all the help with my trip next week. See you on Sunday!

Frank
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  4:04:41 PM  Show Profile
GO PUAKAI, GO PUAKAI, GO PUAKAI !!!
:-)
-slkho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic