Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 O`ahu music - another view
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:43:49 PM  Show Profile
TP `ohana,

Thought I'd recap my recent musical trip to O`ahu.

With the recent come-on package from Hawaiian Airlines at $297 RT, Mark Lennon, the wives and I decided to take a six day trip. We arrived Thursday, Oct 6 at about 1:00 PM, got our car, checked into the Outrigger Reef and settled in. That night the plan was to see Auntie Genoa Keawe's Hawaiians at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa. What a wonderful beginning to the trip. The sweet falsettos and nahenahe playing floated us right into the hawaiian night. After a couple hours we headed back to the hotel, keeping our ears open for more music. Blues and jazz would have been nice in a different setting and it seemed to be everywhere until we passed the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. The contemporary stylings of the Ka`ala Boys pulled us right in. Standing in an on and off, gentle rain, we watched an extremely good band and hula dancer. I don't know the names of the people in the group, but the ukulele player was a monster. His pa`anis ranged from simple hawaiian phrasing to Stratocaster rock. Calling it a night, we headed back to the hotel, still checking various lounges.

Friday I started the day by picking up the weekly TGIF Section of the Honolulu advertiser. I went through the next few days and circled the acts we wanted to see. Right after breakfast, Mark and I met Peter Medeiros. We had arranged a lesson with him and he graciously came to the hotel. With Peter you don't just get a music lesson, you get the full spectrum hawaiian history of music, the interplay and similarities of the various slack key masters. So much info, so little time. Our hour turned into three and I think we'd still be going if it wasn't for other obligations. Mahalo Peter! I've been working on your key change and diminished extensions on the V7.

That evening the main plan was to see Olomana with Jerry Santos (guitar/vocals), Willy Paikuli (bass), and Ryan Tang (Drums/percussion) at the HHV. Again, we were awestruck. Of course, Jerry starts the evening with Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u and it only got better from there. FYI: For us Taropatchers, he told me he tunes to an E Wahine (DADF#AG up two). At the first break I got a chance to talk to Ryan. He's got the sweetest old set of Ludwig, Champagnes I've seen in years. He's had them since '63. A present from his parents.

Saturday I circled Ray Sowders and Olomana with Jerry, Haunani Apolonia and Wally Suenaga. Ray's set was at 5:00 at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. In the process of trying to figure the maze they call the lobby, I ran into Ray and said "There he is". I gave me the "Who me" look and we made our introductions. This was the only true Slack key we heard all week. Ray is truly a gifted player and performer. His show was only an hour, but what an hour. Afterward he sat with us for over an hour an talked story. At the end, he invited Mark and I over to his house to play while we were in town. That happened on Monday so I'll discuss that later. After about a 20 minute walk, we were once again at HHV for Olomana. If you've never seen Haunani Apolonia, that's a must for your itinerary. We're talkin' the complete hawaiian package with some of the sweetest 12-string slack key you'll ever hear. To me the highlight of the show is Jerry singing while Haunani explains the words in english. There was also some very beautiful Hula.

Sunday isn't complete, I was told, unless you go to Honey's at the Ko`olau Golf Course and see Mike Ka`awa, Ocean Kaowili and Paul Kim. Most of the time, Eddie Kamae is there, but he is touring the mainland right now. For those of you who have seen Mike play, you know he plays in standard tuning on a 12-string, but it sounds Slack to me. This is a real local crowd and the energy is amazing. The first thing Mike said to me was "Did you bring your guitar, Brah?" And of course I hadn't and am still kicking myself in the fanny. The group played the gamut of hawaiian songs and many of the tunes that are on Mike's albums. After a couple drinks, a late lunch and a couple hours of music we headed back to Waikiki to see George Kuo, Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. As an added benefit, Bobby Ingano was playing with them. WOW!!!!!!!!!! I love this group. I think of all the CDs I listen to lately, I listen to Martin's the most. These guys blow me away. At the first break we had a nice conversation with Martin and George, then just before they started playing Bobby sat down with us. He gave us a promo copy of his new album. So promo the it was in a slim-line case with a white paper label and the CD itself is handwritten. What an honor. I've only had a chance to listen to some of it, but everyone is in for a treat if it's released. He's such a funny guy. He loved the tour in California, especially Santa Cruz because it was cold. He told us he has worked in a freezer at a market for over 30 years and loves the cold.

On the way back to the hotel we stopped to see Makana at Duke's. The place was so crowded (and young) that we didn't stay. We did happen to catch him as he was entering the place with guitars in hand.

Monday was time with Ray Sowders. Mark and I arrived at his house in Makakilo at 11:00 AM and were there about 3 hours. Ray has been a student of Ray Kane for many years and it was great to learn some of the technique that Uncle Ray has imparted. But not to be fooled, Ray Sowders is a player in his own right. He has one of the sweetest slack key versions of Somewhere Over the Rainbow you've ever heard. And he was gracious enough to teach it to us. His arrangement of Honolulu City Lights is not to shabby either and of course, we grabbed that one. What I admire about Ray the most is his honesty. He's one of those guys I feel I've known all my life. He's also carving a pretty nice niche as a slack key player, considering he's an ex Detroit rock-n-roller haole. I'm really looking forward to more of his videos. He told us that as he looked at the instructional material that was out there, he thought that even the easiest wasn't basic enough, so that's why he's doing it the way he is. I totally agree and since he's doing this free gratis, it would be nice if all of us could support him by buying is CD. Mahalo nui Ray for your warm hospitality and the time you gave us.

No music for us on Monday night. We just went out for a nice dinner.

Thanks to Fran, JimC and PuaLynn for the "O`ahu Ideas"

Pau,

Dave

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  05:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh man,
Dave thanks for stirring up great memories. Sounds like the trip was just what what you were hoping for it to be. I think Hawaiian Airlines needs to underwrite some of these trips. I know I'll be checking airfares today after reading this.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Dave,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you guys are packing it in and having one helluva time!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  11:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Dave,

Thanks a ton for your report. I was going to post about what to check out on O'ahu and it seems like to got it covered. Only a few weeks more to wait! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000