Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Na Leo Pilimehana mainland tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  09:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hawai‘i's No. 1 selling female artists of all time, Na Leo Pilimehana, take the stage for the third annual Aloha Live Hawaiian Music Concert Tour. Na Leo Pilimehana, Hawaiian for "voices blending together in warmth," was the first group from the Islands to successfully cross the line between Hawaiian music and the adult contemporary format.

10/19/2005 Anaheim, CA The Grove
10/21/2005 Mesa, AZ Mesa Arts Center
10/26/2005 Chicago, IL The Crystal Ballroom
10/29/2005 New York, NY The Kaye Playhouse
10/30/2005 Sacramento, CA The Radisson
11/15/2005 Las Vegas, NV
11/16/2005 Portland, OR The Old Church
11/17/2005 Seattle, WA The Triple Door

Visit http://www.alohalive.com/2005 for details.

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  10:22:26 AM  Show Profile
If you don't know this group - you owe it to yourself to hear them.
ach lady could be a soloist in her own right, but they join together incredibly well to produce a perfect blend
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  08:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Raymond, you're right about Na Leo harmonies. Unfortunately, according to their latest press - see Nov 2005 Hawaii magazine- they're changing their schtick after 20 years. Moving away from traditional harmonies to accentuating each woman's solo performances. They've also made it a point to go after the "pop" sound, rather than Hawaiian melodies. They've always been pop-flavored, but appear to be heading more in that direction.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:29:40 AM  Show Profile
Aside from their "Hawaiian Memories" CD, the ladies of Na Leo (Pilimehana) have been considered contemporary or island-contemporary musicians. Award-winning for their performances, as well as their compositions:
http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/nlp.htm

And yes, their next release -- due out next month -- will present each member of the group as a soloist. Interesting...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Actually heard some of that previewed at their last concert in this area. They sang a few songs from their new release - unless the release will be different, the other 2 singers "backed" up each soloist, so it was more of a featured singer than straight out soloist. Of course, the cd may be different.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  05:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Kawika Alfiche and the dancers of Halau ‘O Keikiali’i will be opening the Sacramento performance at the Radisson.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  3:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Saturday night, I went to see Na Leo Pilimehana in their first ever performance in New York City. Great show with Angela, Lehua and Nalani showing why they've won 21 Hoku Awards since 1982. Also, slack key fans will enjoy Bryan Kessler, contributor to the Hawaiian grammy winning CD, who opened with 3-4 slack key songs. It was an evening of solid music, entertainment, humor and talk story.

Na Leo opened with Ku`u Hoa and from there performed both past hits and songs from their new album to be released on November 15th. The "voices blending together in warmth", accomplished band (Ben Vegas & Bryan Kessler on guitar, Randy Aloya on Bass, Aron on Keys and Rod Esteban on Drums) and hula dancers Chariya and Aureana Tseu definitely warmed the New York crowd on a cool Autumn night.

Mahalo to Worldsound and the Hawai`i Cultural Foundation for bringing this act to town.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  8:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We made it to the Sacramento show and enjoyed it surrounded by Lynn's hula sisters. What a great way to enjoy a Hawaiian event. Kawika Alfiche and members of his halau performed to open, including Steven Espaniola on guitar, so we had taropatchers on the stage as well as in the audience. It was a pleasure to finally meet Steven after hearing about him for so long.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  05:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Aloha Fran, was great to finally meet you as well! What a small world we live in...Had a great time at the concert. Na Leo and Bryan were fantastic. Na Leo also featured Ben Vegas on a song which was an added bonus. The Sacramento community were so hospitable and friendly, 2 key ingredients that define the Aloha Spirit. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Steven
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000