Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Who's Going to Winter Camp?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  07:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone,

I'm new to the group. Found out about this forum from registering for Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp comming up in Feb 2006. Just about 4 months away. Really looking forward for good times with good new friends. Anyone else planning on being there? (btw thanks Mark, I'm one who wants to make a pineapple kine uke, mahalo brah).

About me, I've been involved with Hawaiian music starting with getting into C&K, Kalapana etc, in my high school and college daze. I vaguely remember watching a movie where the Beamer's tune "Friends" was the theme. Guess that's my first exposure to slack key, although never figured out how the beatiful sounds were produced.

I've always played acoustic guitar since way back in folk Mass days, oh, oh more memories are gurgling up. ...anyways as time passed on, afta two kids, one of which is into Hula/Tahitian dancing, I was able to support a halau with some uke/guitar playing and mele singing. Got to play lotz of polynesian stuffs thanks to Uncle Carl & Auntie Catherine w/Motuaina Halau, Uncle Kem @ Templebar, and Kumu Kalena w/Hui Hula o Na Pu'u i ka Noe. Oh and I shouldn't forget Uncle Charlie St. Germaine. All my friends from the SF East Bay, full of aloha groups, I owe lots of thanks. I get to play regularly with the Touch of Polynesia group (I see braddahs Art and Rod are in this forum also).

So the one area I need to get into is this Ki ho'alu style. So when do you want to Kanikapila???

Looking forward to some mo good times!!!

Laters, Sil

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  08:31:45 AM  Show Profile
If you don't mind driving down to the South Bay - check out the open mic at Espresso Garden, not a kanikapila but a good chance to connect with others. (Next one is Nov. 2) Also, Ozzie's concert and workshop this month will be another place to make connections
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  09:13:31 AM  Show Profile
See you there at AMC Sil. Sarah and I are going. Welcome to the Patch.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  08:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Thnks, RJS, I'll do my best to get down there on 11/2, 7pm right?. ...and Reid, can hardly wait to get to Molokai. Will be great to meet you and Sarah. BTW my brother Gerry is gonna join us too.

Sil
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  09:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Welcome, Sil. You will find lots of folks in yor area from all i read here on the TPnet. Yo will be wowing your audiences with slack key in no time!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  09:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Sil!

I used to work in Emeryville, and I loved Templebar. Is that funky guitar shop on MLK still there?
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  6:33:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Sil,

It is impossible to ahve a bad time at Aloha Music Camp unless you are a real grump. Even then...

You will meet all kinds of fantastic people, all of them in love with Hawaiian music, all of them appreciative of the culture, all of them working toward keeping it all alive.

Looking forward to meeting you on Moloka'i,
Julie
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  7:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Sil,

C&K, Kalapana, Beamer Brothers--sounds like you're from my era. Did you grow up in Hawaii? Anyhow, I live in the East Bay and play some ki ho'alu. Don't know if there's much I can help you with, but I always enjoy meeting fellow slackers.

Were you playing with Art at Tiki Tom's in Walnut Creek a couple of weeks ago? Art told me about that gig, but I wasn't able to make it. Hope I'll be able to meet you at the upcoming San Jose open mic.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  7:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
E komo mai, bruddah Sil. Figured you'd get on sooner or later...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000