Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Tradewinds just blew me in!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ambrose
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ambrose's Homepage
...And then he woke up...so I'm a little slow..betta late den nevah...as long as I no owe you da kine don't worry. I been move ovah heah since '78 and since den been workin' my ass off jus to get wherr I am not sure But along da way I still play da kine slack key for my heart and mind. I live in Carmel and work with wood see me @ ambrosepollock.com . I just join dis forum. I look forward to many good times heah. Best regards to you. Aloha to you all and your "pumehaners."!!!!Ambrose

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  07:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard sailor!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  07:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh!... E makana nui hele au!

E komo mai

he mea 'ole kakou, he le'ale'a au

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  08:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Man, Ambrose, you make gorgeous stuff. You can be justifiably proud of your work and I hope to see it in person one day. I also noticed you have a David Gomes guitar, which also should be a symphony in wood. And, what year is your 0-18 Martin?

(BTW, last time we were there, Carmel was several cuts above where we live and (heresy!) nicer than a few places in Hawai`i I could point to, so maybe life is not so tough on Moku Honua after all :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:19:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
and I hope to see it in person one day
Just arrange to meet him at the Boar's Breath restaurant, which (is/was) owned by the (now/former) Mayor of Carmel.
(a guy named Clint).

Actually, in that area, my current favorite restaurant is Passion Fish over in Pacific Grove, followed by Roy's in the Inn at Spanish Bay. Used to go down there once a Month or so, now just once or twice a year.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/26/2005 11:56:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ambrose
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ambrose's Homepage
Reid, the little Martin is a '49 built the year of my birth. The Gomes is curly koa sides and back with bearclaw sitka soundboard, nice thick ebony fretboard and flat frets like on a classical geetah! I just got a priceless 1932 Kay Deluxe single resonator El Trovador that is danged hard to put in it's case. Also, the 34 National that was found rotting in a cane shack on the big island by a friend of mine is put back together nicely with NR cones as the originals were trashed and the body is really mojo'd by the original owner who musta took 80 grit sandpaper to it cuz the sun blinded him when he went outside! some guy without sunglasses maybe no can handle the sparkle? o what? So i get da gear and I make three weissenborns you can see 'em on the website: ambrosepollock.com/guitars check em out. and oh yah, life in Carmel isn't too bad. just don't try to buy a house here now unless you are you da kine Feelthy Reech or like to pay lotsa tax to uncle kamuela. I came heah when it was pretty quiet and during a recession. Now the only thing that is receding is my hairline and the availablity of good deals. I not bitter though just bittersweet to quote Rhasaan Roland Kirk! Aloha a nui loa!
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Ya know Lawrence, after having briefly visited a lot of Garden Spots of the World (and I include the area that Carmel is in), I get kinda depressed sitting, comfortably I will admit, in an aging ring suburb of a decaying Eastern inner city. When I hear mele pana extolling the virtues of, oh, say, Waikapu, Wailuku, Wai`ehu, and Waihe`e, with their gently pinching winds, and then I substitute local town names like Hamden, East Haven, West Haven, North Haven, the result is absolutely ludicrous. Nobody has any feeling for these towns or would embarrass themselves singing about them.

I don't think Clint would care to live here. Besides, all the parking meters here are expensive, and Clint shut all his down. My kinda mayor.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Clint hasn't been the mayor for many years, but Carmel doesn't need parking meters. If you're a few seconds over the 90 minute mark, it's a pretty hefty ticket. I have to agree, Carmel is an extremely beautiful place. Bev and I stay there for almost a week every year for the Monterey Jazz Festival. Been doing it for 23 years. Very calming. I also get down there to run the dog on the beach occasionally. Besides that, Aloha Ambrose for joining da patch. Come up to the open mic next week in San Jose.

Me ke aloha,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ambrose
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ambrose's Homepage
Open Mike? Where in San Jose? I am cruzing through there on my way up to Plumas county nest week. Can you give time, place etc? Currently, all my jamming is on electric at Sly Mcfly's wednesday night on Cannery Row. It's cool sort of like New Orleans at times but with out the lifting of the blouses. I would like to do some acoustic stuff with others. Is it all Hawaiian session? I sure do miss the super quietness of the Mamalahoa. But perhaps I live in a dream world as I have heard that the population on the Big Island has grown by 35 thousand souls since my departure. Hilo I know has many strip malls and Kona whooiee! Traffic jamz and smog, but We don't have warm water in the ocean yet. Our Mayor in Carmel is Sue McCloud, a nice gal. She hired me to build the podium for the New Sunset Center which is the local performing arts center. We used to have our furniture and stuff in our own Gallery downtown on Mission street, so I know about the $20.00 parking tics. My wife started teaching high school so we shut down the gallery there and moved it to our place on Rancho San Carlos road. I have to say the weather is hard to beat in Carmel. I've looked around the states and there is nothing to compare with Carmel Valley. It is a true Mediterranean zone here. I am currently building a getaway home up in the Sierra at about 4,500 feet elevation and the weather there is quite dramatic. It is not unusual to have swings in temp of about 40-60 deg. in one day! But once you have lived in the islands......need I say more..there are microclimates Galore! And the people and the music are like beautiful flowers year round. Amen
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Ambrose,

Check out the following link http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3345 Yes, the open mic is "Hawaiian" only on the first Wednesday of every month. Fun music, ono grinds. You can meet a bunh of Taropatchers. We jus get up an press, but you don't have to play if you don't want to. No pressure. Great fun.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Passion Fish and Roy's are very good - for a casual meal we like Hula's on Lighthouse in Old Monrerrey, next to Long's. Great mango bbq sauce. (And we tend to stay in PG - cheaper)

Ambrose - please do stop by if you're in town the first Wed of the month.

Edited by - RJS on 10/26/2005 11:27:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:40:18 AM  Show Profile
I can remember a B&B/Inn on a side street in Carmel, a block or two from the main drag, that was elegant and quiet and had lots of hot tubs. Probably lots of place like that now. But it was really special. We also had a wonderful seafood meal (but I forget the name of the restaurant) and then just walked straight down the street which dead-ended on the beach which we walked in the dusk. Doesn't get much nicer or romantic than that.

Oh well...memories

...Reid

Oh yeah, How come the Armed Forces have such gorgeous real estate in CA? At that time the 7th LightFighters (since disbanded) were all over the place and there were more uniforms speaking funny languages than I could count. Does the Language School teach Hawaiian?
Go to Top of Page

Ambrose
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  07:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ambrose's Homepage
Reid, maybe if the Hawaiians were serious in seceding from the Union, they might start teaching Hawaiian at DLI. The languages they seem to focus on are related to the countries where the U.S is politically involved. Hawaii was "conquered" a long time ago and I really don't think the gov't has any real interest in teaching the language of a culture that they have tried to decimate. There's no money in that.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Ambrose,

A couple questions about your Gomes guitar. Why "flat frets like on a classical" and why do you think a "classical" has flat frets? Mine doesn't (and it was made by one of the best classical guitar luthiers on the planet - and I am not bragging or trying to make myself sound like I can play it well, I just love fine guitars). I played lots of classical guitars by famous luthiers before I had it made, and none of them had anything but "normal" fret wire. In fact, a few had large fret wire so that the string need not be pressed to the fretboard to sound the note.

Do you mean that the fret wire is high, but not rounded on top (as opposed to low and flat)?

What does a flat fret do for you on a fingerstyle guitar (which I assume your Gomes is)?

Or maybe you mean the fretboard is not radiused? (BTW, mine *is* radiused, and many by other luthiers are also.)

I am not trying to be contentious, I am just puzzled, because I don't think that you or Gomes would do that without a purpose in mind, and I wonder what that purpose is.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/27/2005 10:19:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ambrose
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  4:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ambrose's Homepage
Reid........Now that you challenged me on the flatness issue, I went and checked both instruments (I have an Oribe classical also) and both the David Gomes steel string and the gut stringed (nylon) have no radius @ the fingerboard. There is some relief to the fret wire towards the outside edges. So I reckon some classical luthiers are radiusing their fretboards, but I personally have no issue one way or the other. My Gomes plays Okay but I have recently played some big name guitars that are really alot easier to play but don't necessarily sound any better. I love the diversity of all the different instruments that I have and enjoy the unique qualities of each one. they are great vehicle for relaxation. Best regards, Ambrose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000