Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 new victim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  9:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I just realized that all my whining the past two years about not having anyone to play slack key with are now over. My good friend Fred, with whom I have played guitar and sung for years, has taken a real liking to slack key. In fact, I think he is a gonner!
I have played slack for him for the past few years, he said he liked it, might want to learn some day, but nothing came of it. This summer, though, I began playing slack key in a coffee house owned by a friend at lunch time. She was putting on nightly free gigs at a local (the local) theme park and asked me to do some slack key tunes. OK, says I, but I will need some help.....someone else up there to ease my fears. Fred has always been the man to lend a helping hand.
We practiced a few tunes, me in G, he in standard or on bass, and we did two gigs, with another friend joining in on mandolin (no uke players here) and guitar. Three slack tunes, a couple slide, some cowboy stuff, etc..
Then the same lady asked if i would do some freebie lunch gigs this winter. This time she wanted all slack key. So i got Fred again, but before i did, i gave him a copy of John Keawe's instructional video for his birthday. And, I included a home made CD of me doing 14 slack key tunes. That hooked him. I saw him a few days later. I came over at night and found him in front of the computer playing Mama's music Box in taropatch. Said he'd been there for four hours (recently retired, he has lots of time on his hands)!!
We practiced for a dozen hours over the next week, he learned two slack key tunes and backed me up on standard tuning for the others.
These little gigs we are doing are REALLY LITTLE. THe program is not well funded, very little advertising, the venue is not the most convenient to get to, and the audience has to bring their own nlunch to boot! So, the first day we had 5 wiliing folks, all of whom worked in the building, plus the organizer was having a meeting that day and chose to have it off to the side of ouir little playing area, doubling the audience. Well, after the first song we had people asking for CDs! Not bragging, we are really not very good, they just liked the soothing music. (Gee, I hope this doesn't catch on, or everybody will be doing it!)
After we were done, several folks stayed and mentioned how much they liked it, how relaxing it was, can we put our names down for a CD if you ever make one, where can i buy this music. That happend at both gigs, and THAT is really what blew Fred away. He has been playing music in this town for 30 years, and for the last 2 years doing up to 5 paying gigs a week, and he told me he has never had anyone come up after a show and show the appreciation that our little audiences have.
Since our last event on Tuesday, I have called him three times, and each time I have heard the DVD in the background and he tells me he has been practicing for severl hours. Today he told me "This music is so relaxing to play. I should have taken it up sooner"
So, I got me a pickin' partner at last. So he lives 40 miles away, big deal. That's better than 4,000!
My next task is to get him on the 'patch.

Karl
Frozen North

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  04:34:05 AM  Show Profile
WooHoo!!
Imagine having ki ho`alu in North Pole!! Way to go Uncle Karl - I'm so glad you're having fun!!!
n
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  06:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Karl,
Good for you brah! It's hard to beat having a partner who is what you describe. I hope it turns into a long and healthy musical thing for you guys.

Ray

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  08:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Ray,
Fred and I have played music on and off for at least 20 years already, and it will only get better! Fred is the much better all-round guitarist. I just love the stuff he adds to my playing, and he really spices up the slack key stuff. In fact, on the two songs he has learned so far, he has already come up with several variations and twists of his own.
Another neat thing is how much you grow as a player when someone else is now alternating playing the melody/theme of the song; it has given me a chance to break away from the tune and fiddle around somewhere else on the neck, come up with harmonies, etc.. Lots of fun.
Pretty soon it will be me accompanying him!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  02:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Good show Karl.
I wish I felt I had enough to do a Mini-show...
a low key, casual place at the north pole might be perfect.
But I'll look around here.
I also have recruited a friend who works in standard...
and it keeps the flow when mine is off, and adds very nice Hawaiianesque turnarounds and texture on a sweet 12 string...

I've been doing some church appearances...good, but usually only 2 songs...so I'm not pushed enough.
Repertoire needs growth.

congrats on your courage to jump out and share.
Maybe I'll try the laid back, low pressure coffee house where we can explore and develop.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  05:49:57 AM  Show Profile
Grief shared is halved, joy shared is doubled. Music is communication. Performance is fun, but jamming is the ultimate. Keep turning the rocks over, you might find a ukulele player, maybe even a steel player. Like Keola says, "Hold on to what you love with an open hand."
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  05:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Karl, you have been truly blessed.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:32:25 AM  Show Profile
K,
Way to go old man, so good to hear you formed a great slack key duo. Go knock 'em dead. Any cool names for you guys?
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  4:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Yukon Kikas
Kanikakodiak
Nahenahe Grizzlies

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile
LOL...
Crusty Mooses
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  1:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Haoling Wolves?
Northern Haoles
The Cold Mothers
Still Standing Band
Graying Graylings
Tortured Trout
Pickled Pike
Ice Cream Sunday
Midnight Sun
Noon Moon Loons
Alaskikas
I like Nahenahe Grizzlies a lot!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  4:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Karl, I hope y'all can record "Rubba Slippahs in da Snow" for next year's CD! Can't wait to hear it! Does it still need words?

Howz about "Ki Ho Achoo"?

H.O.T.

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas

Edited by - HeartOTexas on 12/06/2005 4:33:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
H.O.T
LOL
yeah, it still needs words....

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Cold Mothers gets my vote. LOL
(hard nipples sounds great but wouldn't get past the censors)
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Rik
well, you've seen me, and my buddy ain't much to look at either, so we also thought of the Mugly Others, you know after the wicked stepmother in Archy Campbells version of Rindercella, with her two Sad Blisters , her Mugly Other, the Pransome Hince at the Bancy Fall, where she slopped her dripper....surely you remember??? Well, you are sort of young. I say, i say, Son, you remember Hee Haw?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Mugly Others it is. Sounds cool. BTW, I'm quite old...ha ha
You might of heard of my band, 'Hunched-back Goth Chicks with Terets', we play of lot of Gansta- Jamican-Amish street rap.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000