Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Harp Guitar!...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  12:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Aloha ohana...been off line awhile..good to bounce back...hope all is well with everyone. Just picked up a CD called "Beyond Six Strings"...WOW...beautiful stuff from different artists on Harp Guitar. Does anyone know if anybody has done some slack key with these beautiful instruments?...If your not hip to harp guitar go to
www.harpguitar.com ...later all, Aloha...Ken (Ohio-Haole).

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  04:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Haven't heard of one yet. There was a guy in Seattle about 100 years ago that made them. I tried a variant of one, larger wierdly shaped body with 6 strings. Great tone! From what I understand, the extra strings can resonate like on a Hardanger fiddle, or one could play the appropriate string for bass.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  06:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Tom Owen on Kauai builds harp guitars, as well as resonators and weisenborn-style steel rigs. He does gigs where he plays about a dozen different instruments that he's made. Not a slack-key player, but an interesting guy. Check out
www.wailua-instruments.com for his stuff.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  08:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My friends Tone and Dave build harp instruments and do some local (Idaho) gigs. You can hear them play at www.rexjames.com
Dave, on guitar, often plays in taropatch, but the style leans more towards Michael Hedges style or celtic perhaps.
I think the era of the harp instrument, around 100 years ago, was a time of experimental and novelty instruments. They were used to play the folk music of the day, but never caught on around the world because of cost or complexity.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I've fooled around with playing other people's harp guitars from time to time.

Slack key sounds amazing on 'em -- enough so that I've been toying with ordering one. A bud named Joe Morgan has one by an English luthier named Stephen Sedgwick: www.stephensedgwick.co.uk. It's flat out amazing. I'm still undecided about dropping three to four grand on a new instrument when I can't really play the one(s) I have yet, tho'

Hard to play? Well, it's like learning to play all over again. But then, I only got about an hour on Joe's last year in Texas. Seems I couldn't pry it away from Paul Oorts...

BTW: The relatively inexpensive Dyer copies sold at Lark in the Morning and a few other places are, ummm, problematic. As in: caveat emptor nui loa.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  3:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback...all these years and even seeing him in concert never knew Michael Hedges dipped into a harp guitar..but now it makes sense to me after hearing some of the tunes with such a full sound. I'll stick to six strings..got enough trouble with them!...Also wanted to ask if anyone has heard Kaki King...I saw her live and she was sweet...makes up her own tunings!..wonder if she knows about slack key!...aloha..Ken.(OHIO-HAOLE)
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  09:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
I think the era of the harp instrument, around 100 years ago, was a time of experimental and novelty instruments. They were used to play the folk music of the day, but never caught on around the world because of cost or complexity.

Actually, harp guitars and similar weird-os with extra bass strings have been around forever. David Rogers from Ashland, OR, plays and records with a 6 foot monster called the Arch Lute.

You can see a picture, and listen to some audio clips here: https://www.indiana.edu/~mrktpl/focus/08.shtml9

The kind of harp guitars we're talking about were actually quite common in their day -- you can find tons of old pix of all kinds of ensembles, including Hawaiian ones, with one or more of 'em. The reason there aren't zillions of old instruments around is that they tended to fall apart -- just like the old Weissenborns.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  06:54:35 AM  Show Profile
A couple of months ago I had the great pleasure of seeing Pat Metheny at the Cellar Door in Las Vegas. He played a harp guitar on one of his opening tunes and it was just amazing. I looked around to see if others were as blown away and the house was mezmerized. Pat got an ovation for that number, and he was just warming up!

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  05:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Stephen Bennett has to be one of the best harp guitarists... you can hear some samples at http://www.harpguitar.com/ (same link as OHIO-HAOLE posted initially).
He doesn't play slack key, but he's been devoted to the instrument for ages. He had an old one from his ?grandfather but had it duplicated so he'd have a sturdy instrument.

We heard him live on a tour with Tommy Emmanuel, and Tommy's "pyrotechnics" really set off Stephen's equally accomplished quiet style.

-Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Mknut
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

The kind of harp guitars we're talking about were actually quite common in their day -- you can find tons of old pix of all kinds of ensembles, including Hawaiian ones, with one or more of 'em. The reason there aren't zillions of old instruments around is that they tended to fall apart -- just like the old Weissenborns.

cheers,

Mark

Just wanted to chime in and agree here.. During Hawaiian music's early popularity in the teens-20s, there were MANY groups that used Harp-Guitar - and not just the really strange looking Dyers and Knutsens. I've seen several photos of groups with "regular looking" guitars that just have one or two extra bass strings. I'm guessing the HG was used to simulate string bass..

I'm having trouble finding actual recordings of HGs in Hawaiian settings, though.. Anyone here know of any? In Bob Brozman's Hawaiian Guitar video, there's a picture of a record label that lists as instrumentation something like:

String bass - ukulele - guitar bass - steel guitar

I wonder what "guitar bass" meant?

Darrell Urbien
Research Assistant for the Knutsen Archives
Member, Echo Park Historical Society
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  4:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Here's a couple of links for you...Kaki King on guitar and Muriel Anderson on that harp thingy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMwo43MkP14

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9197001692208155910

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Kai Kane
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kai Kane's Homepage
Aloha Kakou:
I live in eastern Virginia and had the pleasure of sitting in on harmonica with harp-guitar master Steven Bennett and Pat Donohue.
I think that Steven would be open to some nahenahe.
Let's get him on Taropatch!
A hui hou,
Sandy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000