Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Songs that tug at your heart.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  07:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Hey all, while I was checking out the thread regarding the small scale guitar there were a few references to the Ukulele Caberet link thanks to Claudia. As I was listening to the performers I came across Claudia's rendition of Wildwood Flower. This was the 2nd song that my dad taught me on guitar some 37 years ago. My dads been gone now for 12 years but this song always brings back good memories of the times we had playing together. I remember one time several years ago I went to see Robin and Linda Williams perform. In the middle of their set they started playing Wildwood Flower. My wife looked over at me and tears were streaming down my face. This is just one of those songs that has very special meaning to me. I also makes me miss my dad soooo much.

I'm sure that many of you have a similar song that conjurs up special memories. I thought it might be fun to hear your stories and your songs. So what songs get you right where it counts....and why?

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 10/11/2006 4:39:24 PM

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  07:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Franco Corelli singing Panus Angelicum by Ceasar Frank. My mother and grandmother were both buried to that tune

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  11:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Good topic but it needs to be moved to "Talk Story".

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Aloha. Back in small kid time, my mom used to sing me a song called, "When Old Shep Was a Pup". It was a tear jerker. Every time she would even just start to sing it, I would cry. That was back in the days of living in a holler down in the West Virginia hills. Two others from the down home days...."Precious Memories" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". Those are impactful to me because they were always sung at family funerals. In dis Life by Israel Kamakawiwo`ole. That song has profoundly touched me -- both the words to the song and also the beautiful way with which Iz sings it. Kaulana Na Pua -- because I love the mana`o.

Wanda
Cleveland, OH
38 degrees cold today

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  1:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
One of my fondest memories was of my Mother, when I was about age 6, playing "Puff the Magic Dragon" back when she played guitar. It was a much happier time, back in the late 60's. Whenever she would play that song, though, I would cry because Jackie would grow up and move on to other things, and Puff would just fade away. It made me sad, but even so, the next night I would be begging her to play it again.

I think that might have been more of an influence on me to pick up guitar than anything else was, even Hendrix and Page and the Beatles.

Have a great one,

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  04:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Funny how a "Wildwood Flower" got this thread started!

You know the proverbial question "If you were stuck on a desert island and could bring only a few albums with you, what would you bring?"

I was faced with this when I moved to the desert island of Curacao for 3 years in the early 80's. One of the albums I brought was the Roches' album "Losing True." Through homesick moments, that album and the title song got me through.

Fast forward 20+ years. I've been back in New York since my brief sojourn in Curacao. I've taken up guitar in the past few years and Terre Roche, of the Roches, is now my treasured guitar teacher. One day, I brought my Kamaka tenor ukulele to my guitar lesson, just for fun, to show her how beautiful a Hawaiian ukulele sounds.

She loved it, bought a Kamaka soprano ukulele, wrote a stunning song on it, and now ukulele is on a couple of tracks of the upcoming Roches album! Funny how things turn out. Back in Curacao in 1982, I wouldn't have believed it. And hearing "Losing True" still gets me every time......
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  07:43:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Curacao for 3 years

Just curious, do you speak Dutch or did you learn much papiamento?

It amazes me how all those folks speak about five languages fluently, and seemingly all of the languages at once when they speak papiamento! Sure was hot and dry though (on Bonaire), so it was very good to get in the water as much as possible.

P.S. - There are one or more "desert island music" threads already started here somewhere which you might want to peruse.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  10:56:07 AM  Show Profile
I did learn to speak Dutch. I've since lost what little Papiamento I had. Papiamento is the most flexible language - if you get stuck for a word, you just throw one in Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch or English and everyone will understand you.

You must be a diver, if you've been to Bonaire!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000