Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 UGH Exhibition and Conference
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sob
Akahai

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  8:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit sob's Homepage
Aloha mai Kakou,
It was a great weekend to be an 'ukulele enthusiast! Great workshops and great entertainment. It's great to see people from near and far sharing the same passion, the love of the 'ukulele. Simply...AWESOME! Friday's dinner entertainment started off with Hoku Zuttermeister and Chris Kamaka joined by Karen Keawehawai'i filling in for me on a couple of tunes while I judged the 'ukulele exhibit. It's getting harder and harder to judge. The 'ukuleles are only getting better and better. Herb Ohta Jr., and his band were up next. I finally got him to perform this year, and believe me, it won't be his last. At the end of his set I joined him for a song that we've recorded together about 5 years ago, "G minor Fleas", which we've only performed live all of... 6 times...that was FUN! Our special guest was the 'ukulele darling Brittni Paiva. She sure has a very bright future ahead of her! Follwing her was The Kimo Hussey Quartet playing beautiful 4 part harmony nahenahe music. They all played 'ukulele with one of the members playing a bass 'ukulele. Bruce Shimabukuro Band closed the friday entertainment. Talk about high energy, what a gene pool. He had the place rocking. Saturday began with building and player workshops of all levels. Kimo Hussey also ran the open mic where there was a lot of TALENT! Saturday nights concert began with the Hawaiian section with me, Chris and Hoku. Our emcee for the evening, Karen Keawehawai'i had 'um in stiches all night. She also joined us for a song. John King was up next playing his 5 string to some beautiful Hawaiian and classical music, and my favorite "Chopsticks".
Benny Chong and Byron Yasui (B2) went up together and played awesome solos and duets on the 'ukulele. Then Byron played bass and took it to another level. They called Hoku to sing a song and I joined them with my 'ukulele. Pure Magic. Hoku is probably the best Hawaiian voclalist that doesnt have a recording! And to top off the evening was the exceptionaly talented Jame Hill. WOW, not only a great player, but a fine young gentleman as well. Sunday closed with the silent auction as well as more workshops and a lot of "talking story". A big mahalo goes out to all of you who made this weekend a great success! Until next year!
Aloha,
Bryan Tolentino

hoosieruke
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  02:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hoosieruke's Homepage
I sure wish that I cold have been there! Thanks for the super report. You were in my thoughts all weekend. I'll aim for next year. Have a great holiday...I'm sure that you are warmer than we are here!

Geoff

MidWest UkeFest
The Key Strummers
Hoosier Maid Ukes
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  6:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hey Bryan,
Really enjoyed the "Chris Kamaka Trio". I also have been really enjoying your CD. (Any 'uke player should own a copy of this one.) Shirley loves the song "Ku'u Pete".
The highlight of the weekend for me was playing with Kimo, and having you and Chris come over and join us. Hearing the three of you singing those great old Hawaiian tunes on a Sunday morning was as uplifting as any church service I have ever been to.
The other event that has really changed me was teaching a class on beginning Hawaiian steel guitar, and seeing several faces light up with the "I could do that" look. I am definitely going to come back next year, and I am looking forward to seeing if there are a few more steel guitar players in the ranks!
Thanks to all of the folks from California who traveled a long way, and played music for all of us. I also want to thank those of you who decided to take up the slack key bass, I am looking forward to seeing some of you in Hayward, or Cerritos next year, as well as back in Waikiki!
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000