Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reactions to Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

This is a new thread for people to post reactions to the Taropatch CD 2005. This year's gargantuan project was initiated and managed by Jesse Tinsley. The participation was fantastic with 43 contributors submitting 71 songs! What an incredible effort by all our members and by Jesse who carried this project on his extremely capable shoulders.

Unfortunately... This compilation is intended only for the contributors and may not be copied, distributed, or broadcast without permission from the performer and applicable rights holders.

Songs where the contributor owns or has obtained proper permissions from the composer, publisher, etc. will be posted at the Taropatch soundclick site.

Mahalo to all the members here, those who contributed, listen, lurk or are considering about contributing in the future. This is living proof that Hawaiian music is alive within and far beyond the shores of Hawai`i.

Andy

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Jesse -

I'm happy to be the first (really second) to send mega-mahalos to you on this thread for doing the CD's. Got mine today and they're absolutely great. Also, the quality of the pieces contributed is often completely professional - in composing, performing and recording. What an honor to be in the company of such musical ability and Aloha spirit! Especially your generous work to get this all to happen. You deserve and have far more than our thanks.

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Please, please, PLEASE don't hate me (Jesse or anyone else) for pointing this out --- but I want folks to note that there's a couple track-numbering errors in the booklet itself. The song listings on the back of the booklet appear to be the correct info, so you should go by that. (It's my radio & production training that spots this kind of thing right away - but this set's not for broadcast, so...as Ray Kane says on Ray Sowders' track, "No cause for alarm!")

Disc one, tracks 8-13 listings are not in the right order; disc two has two track 2 listings, so the rest of the numbers are off.

Also, there are a couple different performances of "Radio Hula" (disc one, track 10; disc two, track 16), but the notes about the arrangement are the same, so I don't know to which one they apply.

Jesse - if these are the worst issues we can have with this insanely massive project, hurrah! NOTHING diminishes the incredible committment and effort you put into assembling this beautiful set, which has amazed me yesterday and today. I am astounded by the heart that was put into these performances, and even the most technically-flawed recordings (which really are few, and aren't that bad) are still a joy to listen to.

Okay...now, am I a jerk for having posted this?

(Actually --- I do have one more problem, which just popped up. My copy of disc three won't play properly. By about the fifth track in, there's static-y noise, which gets more and more prominent as the disc progresses; looks like I got a bad burn. Can I get a replacement of that disc?)

Edited by - Retro on 12/08/2005 4:56:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Fist to answer Retro's question about Radio Hula -- mine is the one on Disc 1, but the notes are for the other one. Mine was performed on a Martin SPD-16R, and recorded on my laptop through a Yamaha amp with external mics (Shure something or other). My version is pretty much trying to play just like Led, but not succeeding.
Now, my real comment - what a great bunch of players!! I only had time at lunch to listen to the third disc, but I'm really impressed at the quality of playing, the great aloha spirit, and the recording quality. Truly amazing and exciting to hear this music. I'm especially pleased to now associate music and styles with the names that I've become familiar with by hanging out in the taropatch. Congratulations to everyone involved, especially for all the work in compiling, copying and mailing. You deserve a Hawaiian Grammy. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Speechless in Connecticut.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I'm speechless too. In fact, everyone did such great jobs that it made me wish that I had spent more time on mine. But that is a great thing! People have been practicing and it shows.

And no offense to Reid, but I did not know he could be speechless!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Just a reminder for those of you who contributed tracks that are your own composition, your own arrangement of a public domain composition, or a song for which you have permission to share publicly (and who want to share publicly), let me know here and provide me with the information I need:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3295

As soon as I can I'll start updating the TaroPatch.net SoundClick page accordingly.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/08/2005 12:28:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  2:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yikes! I was going to fess up to a couple of obvious typos, including the mislabeled tracks on disc #2, but you guys found many more! I should have had more eyes on this project instead of trying to go "ironman". Mea Culpa. When I was converting mp3s to WAVs and back, I found the file info stripped out in the WAV format and I must have mixed up the tracks where there were two of the same song.
Thanks to those who actually took the time to analyze the mistakes and right them in print. If anyone does have a bad disc or set, I'll gladly reburn and send out replacements.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 12/08/2005 2:23:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  3:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Jesse,
I haven't received mine yet but not to worry, it should be here soon. Probably circling Diamond Head! Or maybe the postal folks got jealous and snatched it! na! By the way, NOBODY ever completed a perfect project. Even after many eyes look at it. So, take a bow brah, you deserve all the courtesy for taking on a project like this. By the way Retro, that’s Ray, not Roy. Mahalo! Ray (not Roy) Sowders
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  5:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
>>> By the way Retro, that’s Ray, not Roy. Mahalo! Ray (not Roy) Sowders <<<
Ummm --- see? ANYONE can goof, even a "perfectoinist" like meself. Yeah - that was my point all along! (*gulp!*)

But it's easier to fix here than in print, ain't it? And, of course, I know he's Ray-not-Roy; I oughta know, I've spoken with him by phone, and told a lot of people in Seattle about his great album. (Yep, Ray, that's me - the guy that works for your former employer in Detroit.)

Ah well. My favorite Marx Brother was always Typo...
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  8:03:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm only partway thru the 1st disc so far, but purring madly. Great job, Jesse!!!!

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  8:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Auwe! Maika'i!!! I felt like a kid on Christmas morning!!! God Bless you Jesse. Many thanks to you, Honey Jean and the keiki's for sacrificing your time for our ear's and our love of Ki ho'alu. Great playing everyone!

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  8:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Thank you everyone for this wonderful Christmas present. As I listen to these songs, I can't help but smile and feel the "Mana" that each track exudes. As I listen to these songs, the dedication and love for the art of slack-key guitar that I sense brings a tear of joy to my eyes. It's a shame that both Taropatch CDs cannot be shared with the world. They deserve no less. The CDs have become my favorite CDs and I can't wait for the next one. Good job to all you musicians. I'm proud to have a musical connection with you all. Thank you Jesse for all your hard work and time. Right on! Have a wonderful holiday season everyone and until we play again someday Alohas!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  06:03:10 AM  Show Profile
I got mine last night and am listening as I write. Jesse, great job. I'm proud to be part of this effort. Thanks to everyone. Next year, we'll be up for the Hawaiian Grammy.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  06:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
E kala mai to Leonard for my misplacing of his song info in the insert. That might be my second biggest mistake (among many) after leaving out PearlCityBoy's song. After giving Kinko's $60+ for copying the insert pages, I decided I could live with all the mistakes, but there were more than I ever thought!
If anyone is wishing they had contributed so as to get a set, all I can say is "I told you so."
If anyone has a bad disk in a set, let me know so I can burn some replacements.
He mele kakou!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  07:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Jesse: No matter. (Should that be "no mattah"?) I listened to the other two discs last night, and continue to be impressed by the quality of the set. You did a great job. Mahalo! LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000