Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reactions to Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  07:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Wow, great job Jesse (and all contributors)! Muchos Mahalos Those of you with CD TEXT support on your CD players will be especially appreciative.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/09/2005 07:56:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn

Yo Andy! (and everybody else for that matter)

A quick question: I'm interested in talking to specific individuals about their arrangements, styles, equipment, instruments (shoots... everything). Should that be done here, in this thread, or should things like that be kept elsewhere in T`patch? (Just imagine, if you would, 71 threads---one for each track---going on. It could get a little wild.)
What do you all prefer? I have no problem with such discussions going on in this post. Too much trouble to sort through?

Individual posts for specific tracks are okay too. So my answer is no answer?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  12:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Yes, all those questions, plus:
How did you deal with latency issues; or if there were none, why not? I did my singing on Sanoe on another track, after playing the accompaniment, and there were lots of latency problems, which are audible on my Sanoe track. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  12:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I noticed that many of the submittals failed to include the basic information that Jesse asked us to include, such as the name of the composer, tuning used, types of instruments used, recording equipment and techniques, and a photo of the contributor. If each contributor could just provide that information, it would preclude a lot of posts asking for such information.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  1:54:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[Question (and/or observation): Your recordings are obviously multi-track, but they're very clear sonically. Could you explain your process and gear setup?
  • Aside from the Mackie mixer, software used, and that you're compromised by having a Mac ... what else did you do?
  • What kind of mics? I assume they were plugged into the mixer. So, from there then, did you go direct to the... ahem... mac?
  • Did you do any post production? If so, what?
  • Where did you record? (i.e. in a closet, large room, kitchen, the garage, out back of the house?)
  • How big is the washtub? 5 gal? 10 gal?
  • What kind of weedwhacker? gas? or electric?

In that same vein, jwn, I have some questions about your setup for your two songs. What guitar(s) did you use? What tuning did you use? Was it Taropatch tuned down to F, or some other F tuning? What recording setup did you use, i.e., mixers, mikes, software, etc.?
I enjoyed both songs.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  2:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Bill,

Just a comment about the liner comments.

Jesse had a lot to print and the booklet was thick anyway, so we think (he can answer for himself) that he, justifiably, cut out some stuff that he thought was redundant. We included very detailed info about Sarah's recordings, for instance, but much (not all) of it was the same for both recordings. We assume he didn't print it for space reasons. BTW, both of Sarah's pieces were in Taropatch(if you care :-), as I think you probably could tell.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  2:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks, JWN. I think "Laupahoehoe" is supposed to be a silly rhyme and was written because Auntie Irmgard liked the sound of Laupahoehoe, too.
My recording was track-at-a-time in this order: uke, main vocal, backup vocal, dobro and string bass. I have two cheap SM58 clones, one is Audio Technica and the other is Radio Shack. I also have a Presonus TubePRE preamp to bump up the warmth on the cheap mics. I got a cheap MXL condenser mic set ($100, more open sound) and the vocal may have been done with those. The bass (#3 washtub)is amplified by two $1.50 Radio Shack transducers clothes-pinned to the bridge.
I haven't had latency problems with Garageband on my G4 Mac until I get up to 12 or more tracks, which is more than I use. I don't know what prevents latency, but having a newer computer with lots of RAM probably helps.
If you have a laptop, all you need is a mixer with a couple mic inputs to help boost the signal and then run it into the audio input (RCA outs to 1/8th stereo miniplug in) of the computer. If the computer doesn't have one, then you need some kind of USB adaptor. I bought a Mackie DFX6 (good effects for live sound) I found at a pawn shop, but otherwise I would just own a Behringer $50 mixer just for phantom power and mic preamp.
The other key to "clarity", I think, is to make sure your signal is strong, almost overmodulating, but not quite.
I've now exhausted my knowledge of recording.
I love to set up my computer and mics and just play, fiddle around and have fun.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:02:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Thanks for asking... and thanks for the comment. I swear I don't know how to record diddly, except for what I think are practice pieces. So, just to get a copy of the CD's, I sent Jesse a couple of those.

The guitar I used is my old, beach guitar. Epiphone dread. PR350S. Mahogany sides and back. Spruce top. I think I had nano-webs on it.

I used a simple little mic arrangement... a GHS-something or other (the kind violinists or sax players clip on to their axes). I recorded to a small, zoom flash recorder (I forget which one). I don't know much more than how to record a single track. Copied into my PC and I chopped both ends off the tunes with GoldWave.

Both songs were played in Taropatch, tuned down to F. Much richer I think (sounding anyways... although it doesn't necessarily make me sound any better).

That about covers it? I think so... oh, no weedwhacker was used.

Thanks for the info, jwn. Goes to show you that you don't really have to have a complicated setup, doesn't it? Well, as I said, yours sounds super.

Yes, the TP tuned down to F sounds much richer. I tuned my Takamine down to E for a couple of cuts on my CD. I just kept tuning down until it didn't buzz. I am sure that many others have done the same thing. It's good to share the info, though, because many people, especially the ones who are just beginning slack key players, wouldn't be able to figure it out otherwise.

Oh, there was (is?) a good group on Kaua'i called the Mango Brothers, and the bass player used weedwhacker string suspended between the top of a mop handle and the bottom of a bucket that the mop was placed in. I don't know how he knew how to 'fret' it, but it didn't sound bad. Maybe that is where Jesse got the idea. We'll find out.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile
[quote] Just a comment about the liner comments.

Jesse had a lot to print and the booklet was thick anyway, so we think (he can answer for himself) that he, justifiably, cut out some stuff that he thought was redundant. We included very detailed info about Sarah's recordings, for instance, but much (not all) of it was the same for both recordings. We assume he didn't print it for space reasons. BTW, both of Sarah's pieces were in Taropatch(if you care :-), as I think you probably could tell.[quote]

Aloha Reid.

Yes, that's probably true, but, as jwn and I have already indicated, there will probably be a lot of interest in sharing the info re instruments, set-ups, tunings, etc., along with the tunes themselves. Oh well, it will give us another opportunity to get together, eh? And mahalo for sharing the info about Sarah's tunings.

Bill C.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Reid,
I had both extensive and sparse info on various songs, so I tried to edit down the longer info pieces and bug players to include more info on others. It seemed like the most important stuff was composer, instrument, tuning, basic recording specs and why the player chose the song. Beyond that, there were other stories about how the player discovered slack key, favorite performers, the love of things Hawaiian, the origin of the players' guitars, where they grew up, very technical specs about the recording, etc. When there were two cuts by a single performer, I tried to divide up the information into two short pieces, but include the important stuff again. It was a tough call, but I could see the book getting bigger and bigger and knew I would be in trouble if I didn't watch the length. I sincerely appreciated the people who gave me more than enough to work with.
I'm a newspaper guy, so I tend to edit. And edit. And edit.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  4:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Wow, the CD's are an early Christmas present! Awesome, and it just gets better with repeated listenings.As usual everyones great, and Jesse thanks for doing this, a fine job indeed. Very cool how this keeps growing every year, Lee.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  5:07:31 PM  Show Profile
A HUGE Mahalo to all who contributed to this unbelievable compilation. I am in awe track after track. I can't remember when I've had tears and chicken skin at the same time. And a special thanks to Jesse for allowing such an inexperienced late-comer like me to submit a couple extra days beyond the deadline so I might also be able to receive the CD set. I cannot begin to tell you, Jesse, what that means to me. I fell in love with Ki Ho 'Alu the first time I heard it. It is now a passion. The Taropatch 'ohana is tremendously blessed, both with talent and with each other. Bruddah IZ would be proud to know how the spirit of Aloha and the music of Hawaii are flourishing here in the patch.

Frank

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas

Edited by - HeartOTexas on 12/12/2005 06:48:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  6:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,
Superb work. Gratitude beyond the ability of words to express.
I love hearing how the "old timers" are improving, and the enthusiasm of the "new kids."
As I said last year, but never really did, I got to get practicing harder just to keep up.
Mahalo nui to all
Go to Top of Page

pekelo
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  6:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit pekelo's Homepage
Wow! this is an awesome CD set! Hey Jesse, mahalo nui loa for all of your incredible work! And more-so, I’m glad I got to meet you in Eugene! A big mahalo goes out to all the Eugene folks for their great songs and Mike(the recording engineer) and Frank (for the use of the studio!).
So this Pohakuloa was recorded in Eugene also. Pua Lilia with the beautiful voice of (Hurricane) Iwa was recorded with using her standard tuned guitar. What fantastic timing too – just in time for Christmas! Here’s a little more bio than what’s on the CD jacket: I started uke lessons as a kid in Waipahu. Overall, I’ve been playing uke for over 10 years, slack key for over 11 years and standard tuning guitar for over 37 years( but please do not add up those numbers! - I’m not at that age yet!! ) In Waipahu, there were hardly any guitar teachers, so I ended up teaching myself in the classical style and technique. Prior to SUPA, I taught a lot of ukulele and Hawaiian music in the NW area ( from Everett to Oregon City) for a few years. I’m the co-founder of SUPA, and am fortunate to have met a lot of the nicest uke players in this area. My latest longer term stint was in Eugene where there’s a lot of great talent and even greater aloha!
Mele Kalikimaka and Aloha nui loa!
Pekelo
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  7:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo kakou! I've had a blast putting this together and I appreciate everyone's understanding of the problems with the paper work. Each compilation serves to bring us closer together and helps us get acquainted. Hearing other players and how they approach slack key and music in general helps us all feel a part of the 'ohana.
It was great to meet you, Pekelo. Hearing and seeing you play taught me a lot. I would love to see Iwalani pursue her singing and put out a CD. The two of you should cooperate on that project.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 12/09/2005 7:31:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000