Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reactions to Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  7:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Taropatch Ohana:

Words cannot express how awesome this CD set is and how wonderfully each and every contributor performed! Wow! What an incredible tribute to Hawaiian music (and ki'hoalu especially)! It was sure great to put the music with the individual Taropatcher too, which in essence was another way of expressing themselves other than mere words on a post. It actually gave me a glimpse of another dimension of that person through their song, I thought. Also reading the liner notes that accompanied each tune was very insightful as to how this song was chosen and/or the background of the artist. Thanks for the wonderful gift of music from all of the TP Ohana and all the hard work and effort put forth by Jesse to get this to us just in time for the holidays!

Mahalo,
Maggie (Mahina M)
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  05:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou e o'u mau hoa puni ki ho'alu!

Wow! What a stupendous collection! Thanks, Jesse, for a wonderful "christmas present," and to your family for helping out. We listened to all 3 cds in a row (almost ;-) ) and it was always riveting.

And thanks to everyone else who contributed. I love hearing what people here actually sound like, and to be able to associate a sound with a name here. And because of the variety of pieces people selected, I get to hear songs I don't usually hear, or haven't heard at all before. This is another way we learn from each other.

My impression, too, was that the level of recording proficiency this year was much higher, overall, than in previous years.

Mahalo and Mele Kalikmaka to everyone!
aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  1:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the feeling I am getting as I listen to the CDs is one of a big kanikapila. That is, we're all sitting around in a big 40 person circle, and, after each rendition, Jesse says, 'OK, Leonard, your turn' or 'Now Sarah will sing and play for us' or something like that. It is really a one-of-a-kind experience that encompasses all skill levels, each song bringing something special to the mix. The aloha spirit is present in each and every song. And, with 71 tracks, it is like getting 6 slack key CDs free. It is going to be very difficult for the group, or anyone else, to improve on this edition.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  3:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
While JWN is hesitant to go down the "slippery slope" of playing favorites, I'm happy to offer some favorite tunes from the 70-plus songs. I tend to favor traditional vocals over instruments, but here goes:
Na Leo Nahenahe's "Hawai'i Pono'i"
Gordon's "Pacific Voices"
Karl's "Ku'u Home 'O Kahalu'u"
Pua Kai's "Kalo Man"
Ray Sowder's "The Water is Wide"
Fran's "Grandfather's Clock"
As others have said, all the tracks are great, mistakes and all, and represent gifts of musical aloha offered to the group.

I need to say again, thanks to all who donated a little more than the $5 cost. Some gave $15 or even $20. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I needed all of it.
The time to gather info and burn CDs is pure fun, but having the costs covered made it less stressful.
If anyone is considering taking this on next year, here's a cost breakdown:
CD cases and CD labels (from internet discounter): $50
Blank CDs: $60 (lots of coasters!)
Paper and ink for insert cover: $25
Copying insert pages: $60
envelopes: $28
postage: $75
By rough calculation, it was about $6 to produce each set.
And thanks to Lawrence for his help balancing the volume levels on the recordings. It would have been unlistenable without it.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 12/10/2005 10:07:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  12:15:10 AM  Show Profile
I just got my set of CDs.... Wow! Thank you for inviting everyone to the kanikapila!!! I'm so glad I submitted something so I could get to have the whole set. What an awesome group of talent!!! Thank you one and all for your efforts. Jessie led the pack, but obviously a lot of folks spent a lot of time making this unique venture the treasure it is.
Mahalo nui loa!!!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  11:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
JWN asked about my weedwhacker washtub bass:

<p>
It's a #3 washtub with a 2x4 through the side, a fretless neck and a plywood soundboard. I'm not getting adequate audible notes from the fourth string, so I may have to consider putting on a tailpieces and using upright bass strings, except that a set of those will cost more than the $52 I spent the build the instrument. I've built two so far and they're fun. But I've found frets are important if you to play on pitch.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  5:17:32 PM  Show Profile
Really thrilled!
Thanks Jesse...
Still getting to all of the great offerings...
So much talent....forget about "Star Search"...we got em beat.
Some sweet, amazing voices and playing...

Unfortunately, some of my tracks on each disc are not reading well...and my cd player nearly ate Disc 2--got stuck --as I tried to get one of the cuts to play...wouldn't come out, and when I did get it out, it got scuffed up...weird! Trying some alternate machines to see if Disc 1 and 3 will play mo'betta.

But am enjoying everyone's wonderful playing and singing...so many nice complements if I can sit down and list them all!
I am honored to hang out with ya'll.
We love ya Hapa Kid.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Gordon brought the problems to my attention and I'll send him another set, but there are often issues with audio CDRs. I don't know the technical side, but some CD players won't see them as audio CDs and sometimes will give a "non functioning CD" or error message. As I told Gordon, I have players that won't play last year's CD set, but will play the ones I recently finished. I dunno. It seems that there are more hangups with small players like car stereos, boomboxes and shelf systems.
One way around this is to rip the CD sets, then reburn them.
But if others have problems, let me know which ones aren't working and I'll mail out replacements.
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've gotten a few emails from TP.net folks asking if they could get a copy of the CD set even though they didn't contribute a song.
As I explained to them, only contributors can get it because of copyright restrictions. If there's anyone in this position, start practicing for next year!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Also, many of them will be up on Craig's SoundClick page. (We need to spend some time to get the stuff that Craig needs from Sarah, but we'll do it soon.)

I urge all who can to get versions of their pieces to Craig. There is wonderful music on those CDs that others should hear.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:05:51 PM  Show Profile
At the risk of asking a dumb question ["There are no dumb questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots..."], if we learn a song from an instructional book or DVD, does that fall into the copyright restrictions? OR - is it a matter of who wrote the song, how long ago, is it public domain... regardless of how we learned it? Does any of this make sense?

I guess my bottom line question is this: How do we determine if our submission is permitted to be online?

Edited Update to this Post:

"Although I haven't been able to contribute to the CD at all, I do plan on making some major updates to the TaroPatch Soundclick page (http://www.soundclick.com/taropatch) soon, so bear that in mind during the CD submission process. If you have a track that isn't ready in time for the CD, or that will be on the CD and you want to share it with the rest of the TaroPatch `ohana as well then the SoundClick page is a way to do it. The same criteria applies though: it has to be an original composition, an original arrangement of a public domain composition, or you have to have the arranger/composer's permission to post it."
I found the answer to my own question by re-reading the 16-page mega-thread as Jesse put this project together. It really gives you an appreciation of what all we put him through to get this world-class CD set completed. Thanks again, Jesse, for all you've done for us!

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas

Edited by - HeartOTexas on 12/13/2005 1:04:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  12:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!!!! This is like going to an Upcountry luau and everybody brought an instrument. To Jesse and his helpers And to all who participated, this is a grand acheivement.

Mahalo nui,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  07:25:54 AM  Show Profile
I've been on a project in the middle of the Nevada desert for the last several months, off-and-on, doing a varied assortment of things, including dropping rocks on thumbs (lots of targets), so have pretty much been out of touch. That said, then on with the silly question: How does one go about getting a copy of the 2005 Taro Patch Slack Key Guitar Collection?

Mahalo
All Thumbs
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:03:10 AM  Show Profile
All Thumbs,

See the first post in this thread, and Jesse's post just a few up from yours:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3483&whichpage=1

Legal issues.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 12/15/2005 08:04:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jesse,
Finally got my set. Javascript:insertsmilie('')Mail does not usually toke this long to get here, but all the letters to Santa, who also, coincidently lives in North Pole, (he's right down the road....I take care of his reindeer, you know, get 'em ready for the arduous journey) have probably gummed up the works.
Well, it sure was worth the wait. I am so very impressed with everyone's efforts. Such a variation of styles, sounds, songs, istrumental/vocal/ensembles. It is really great. I will be sure to contribute again and again in the future to ensure getting every installment of this compilation. Assuming, of course, there will be soomeone with enough timme, guts, ability and expertise to pull it off. You did a great job, Jesse.
And, thanks to all who contributed....it really is like sitting donw with a bunch of friends and going 'round the circle.
Hey, Jesse, what do you think about a DVD version, (not this year, of course) using clips sent from each contributor made on an iSight or other video source? wouldn't that be neat, to actually see the performers????

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000