Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reactions to Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Andy,
I will send you a video clip of me playing a tune. I wonder if you could get it on the site? Dusty's little action clips seem to translate well. This would be a suggestion for next years' compilation, if it works (see note above to Jesse)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jesse,
I just love that bass you made. Looks like the next project for me after the Weissenborn gets done (if i can still remember it, six years from now) I have heard of wash-tub basses before, but always the kind that was stepped on upside dwon on the floor with a single string attached to a broom handle. Yours is a beauty. Can't wait to hear my wife's response when i drag that up the stairs into the music room!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I think a video compilation would be very cool. More challenging for the performers, but a great thing to share.
Karl, if you build a string bass, check out Dennis Havlena's home page at http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/
He explains how to build several rustic instruments and has links to other sites about homebuilt instruments. The bass costs about $75 to build if you have to buy a new washtub. It's a lot cooler if you can find an old one.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  11:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Thanks, jesse, i have an old one alraady. Of course, i will have to dump out Susan's petunias and pansies to get at it...oh, that's right, they're frozen in 'til spring (june)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Kakou,

I have been listening to the CD set and want to send out yet another Mahalo to Jesse for putting it together, and to those who contributed. It is really great to hear all of you folks play and share your passion for Hawaiian music. Keep up the good work all! A hui hou, Aloha no, Ray
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  6:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've had three requests for replacements for non-playing discs so far and I'm happy to send new ones. I apologize for the hassle. Before mailing, I randomly listened to 20-30 discs (out of 150) to look for problems, but they must have been hiding.
Please don't hesitate to notify me about problems. If you have a disc that won't play on a CD player but you've ripped and reburned it on your own disc, I can also mail out a replacement CD label for your new disc.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  11:09:33 AM  Show Profile
I know it's no longer politically correct to use the word Christmas anymore, but I no kea. I just finished trimming my tree and I used Disc 2 as my mood music. I had just finished putting on the lights and was placing the Star on top when Sarah's Hihi`o Ahiahi began playing. What a nice way to start the ornaments. Merry Christmas to me for having this music and to all of you making it possible.

Mele Kalikimaka

Dave
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  11:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Jesse,

What a great surprise; Sibyl and I just got back from Kona(82°) to Oakland(42°) and it helped warm us back up to find the CD set in the 'ol P.O. Box.

Mahalos for your work Jesse!

I just uploaded the Titles & Artists for the CD set to Gracenote CDDB. Seems like lotsa folks don't know they can often get the title & artist info for their CD's online.

Here's instructions for iTunes(not sure about other players).

In iTunes, go to the Advanced menu, and select Get CD Track Names. They should show-up in the proper columns.
Again, I only entered the track titles and Artist.
If someone wants to add more, just add 'em in iTunes, then in the Advanced menu, select Submit CD Track Names. That's it.
If I made spelling or `okina errors, correct 'em too before submitting.

I just entered them, so it may take overnight for the titles to show-up.

Mele Kalikimaka
Thanks again Jesse!
Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 12/17/2005 12:13:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  12:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Burning Question:

I'm trying to make a copy of the set 'cause some tracks have minor issues in my iBook.
I go to burn and get the message that all tracks won't fit on one disc.
Total is 805 MB. I have the standard CD-R's. Do I need a different disc or what? What did you use Jesse?

thanks
Ross
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  2:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for putting in the CDDB info, Ross. I always wondered how to do that.
As far as fitting them on a CD, I filled up the CDs using RecordNow and each CD was around 79:45 when I was done moving songs around. I'm not sure why the time total is more in your burning software. Strange. At one point, I opened one of the recordings that had some silence at the beginning or end and clipped it off so that the songs would fit on the #3 disc.
If you'd like, drop me a direct email and I'll send along some new CD labels to put on your burns.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 12/17/2005 2:20:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  05:31:06 AM  Show Profile
I caught up with Gregg (Retro) and Lori and my buddy, Jack, at Kona Kitchen for breakfast yesterday and got my CDs! TOO GOOD! ONLY NICE! T'anks, eh, everybody. Kepp pressin'. Kory
Go to Top of Page

Aki
Aloha

Japan
1 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  5:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Lots of Mahalo to Jesse, your family and fellow contributors to the CDs.
I received the CDs today, just in time for Christmas, over here in
Tokyo. Although I have not got to my recording yet, I have been
enjoying listening to so many different styles of beautiful music.

Not only I but also many of my slack-key friends over here
knew about TaroPatch.net CDs. I believe my set is the only one
over here. I hope you do not mind "playing" the CDs and share your
music full of Aloha spirit with them. You may have a little more
contributors from here next year!

Mele Kalikimaka,
Aki Shimura
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  9:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
You're welcome, Aki. Perhaps after sharing some music others in Japan will contribute to the next CD set.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  02:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aki

I hope you do not mind "playing" the CDs and share your
music full of Aloha spirit with them. You may have a little more
contributors from here next year!
Hi Aki,

Thanks for participating and making the CD set an international project. It would be great to have more contributors from Japan next time! I really enjoyed your music.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  2:12:42 PM  Show Profile
I finally made it through all of the CDs. Mahalo to all of the contributors for a wonderful experience - and mahalo to Jesse for the herculean effort!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000