Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reactions to Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Dusty
How come it took so long to listen...did you have it on 33 instead of 78???

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  4:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm just now listening to the whole set myself after having the songs for more than two months. I'm in awe of the dedication of all you performers. You are all so talented and play with affection for the music.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  06:57:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
How come it took so long to listen...did you have it on 33 instead of 78???

Nope. 16 1/2.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  08:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Dusty, too cool....how you do dat?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  09:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
16 1/2.

So, when you folks are talking about "guitar transcriptions," you're actually speaking of "transcription discs" now? (Just kidding - very old-school tech talk.)
Go to Top of Page

Buckalani
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile
To Jesse and everyone who contributed to this project, wow, I'm just blown away. The CD is moving on so many different levels.

Jesse you did a great job. Your painstaking work and huge generosity are an inspiration and a cherished expression of aloha. The pacing in the song order is inspired. Your own contributions to the CD are awesome and fun. Meeting you in Eugene this summer and having a chance to chat and kanikapila and get to know you better was a treat. Eh you one excellent brah. Keep the music coming.

The selections are all tasty, all different, all full of spirit and creativity that's so lacking in most popular music. From the most perfect arrangement to the most casual recording, I like 'em all and wouldn't edit out a one. What an awesome bunch of talent this project has brought together.

I got the CD just before heading to Maui and my wife & I listened to it driving the Hana Highway. To be surrounded by so much beauty on so many levels was pure joy. Plus I felt like we were travelling with a whole bunch of newly discovered friends.

Later on our trip we hooked up with my brother and his wife, and thanks to the CD I could introduce them to some of my Eugene bandmates and give them a sense of why I'm so excited about Hawaiian music.

At another point I got inspired to write a piece (a rare occurrence) but it's kinda experimental and not much of a performance piece, so why bother working it through? Then I realized I could submit it for next year's CD and voila, it has a raison d'etre.

So mahalo nui loa to everyone involved in the project. Speaking of next year, let's all keep in mind that just because Jesse did such a bang-up job doesn't necessarily mean he will volunteer to do it again, much as we'd like to install him as facilitator-for-life. Let's all think about ways we can help share the load. I'll start by offering to help some with the booklet; I'm a graphics person by trade and do this kind of thing all day long. Also it sounds like this was a money-loser for Jesse so we should be willing to say double our $$ contributions and make sure he comes out ahead. Also we should conform with whatever protocol he determines is best as far as when and how to submit recordings and information.

A couple of other thoughts on the CD. I would have liked to have a city and state listed for each performer, so I could get a picture of where everybody is and how they relate. I know I could figure this out from the web site but it would be good to have it in the booklet. Also I noticed that some of the recording methods seemed pretty sophisticated, and that set me wondering how many people didn't submit because they didn't have the time or expertise to make a good recording. Do we need some discussion of how to get over the challenges of recording? (I know I do.)

I can't finish this post without thanking the friends who helped me get involved. Maggie first and foremost has been my Hawaiian music mentor and shaker; she's the one who talked up the CD and got us Eugeneans into the recording studio. Frank opened his studio to us. Pekelo provided recording and musical expertise and inspired a lot of good things during his stay in Eugene this summer. Michael saved the day with his technical savvy. Iwalani motivates us all with her beautiful voice and spirit. Nalani is as ever the life of the party and also has a gorgeous voice. Nami inspires with his calm, steady wisdom and love. And I might as well mention my good friend Chico, the other haole boy, who is a consummate musician who you'll definitely hear on next year's CD. Aloha nui kakou.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  11:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Buckalani

Let's all think about ways we can help share the load. I'll start by offering to help some with the booklet; I'm a graphics person by trade and do this kind of thing all day long.

I volunteer to do writing/proofreading; if we decide to standardize listings for folks, I'd be happy to take what's submitted and make sure it gets into some similar form for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the nice note, Buck. For the record, the CD project broke even, though that was because of the generosity of those that sent a few extra dollars to help out. Those that didn't, don't worry about it. I was ready to throw in a little cash myself just to make sure it happened. If I do it again, the cost for a CD set will probably be around $10. I'm sure most of you would agree that it is a reasonable cost for a CD set which is also a keepsake of our TP 'ohana.
Although this experience was a trial by fire both technically and logistically, it is immensely gratifying that the spirit of aloha was spread by listening to each other play. Therefore, I might do it again. Don't tell my wife. Having a proofreader like Retro would make the project much easier.
Jesse

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:35:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,

I finally got through listening to all three TaroPatch CDs. Been rather busy the last six months, so did not have the time till we were on a long driving trip. Even with a "top-notch" car stereo, a vehicle is a really poor place to listen to music, so I will listen again before making many comments.

What I can say now is, yes, the efforts by all particpants resulted in many fine works of art, and a really enjoyable experience.

To Reid in particular... You need not have worried so much... Sarah's recordings sound wonderful, just as if she were sitting there. Either you did not use any reverb or delay or you have it set low enough that it is not perceptable (in a car), and that seems to be in keeping with what you intended (from you posts during production).

All others... Keep up the good woik!

(More to follow...)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  3:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lawrence, your ear is really good; I used *no* reverb or delay in post processing. I found that the mics, the vocal mic in particular during the guitar pa`ani, was micing the room, and adding enough. Our goal was for Sarah to sound exactly(?) as she sounds in our living room. In fact, what I did, except for slight "presence" boosts, was to take lots of stuff out, and, as Mark suggested, to make a place in the frequency spectrum for the guitar that was different from Sarah's voice (on that one vocal track).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  3:59:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
to make a place in the frequency spectrum for the guitar that was different from Sarah's voice
Cool... If you go the the AudioMasters Forum and search on the phrase "string line mix" you will find out a bit more about this often-used technique.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  09:27:26 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Lawrence, that forum is a gold mine, and not just for Audition users either. I can't understand how I missed it; I have about 20 others bookmarked. There is so much practical, and sensible, info there that it is a real jumps start on lots of things I don't know, but ought to. Those moderater guys Steve and Ozpeter are real resources and most of the questions they answer are smart questions, too.

I spent the last hour just reading through the range of things they talk about.

...Reid

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

i finally got a chance to listen to the CD - i loaded it up on my iPod and enjoyed it on a long flight.

holy moley!

what an amazing amount of talent. it's truly a beautiful collection.

in awe and deeply humbled,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  09:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and would like to know where the selections on the CD can be heard. I notice it's not available for sale because of copyrights etc. Do I have to hook up with one of the contributors to listen to their set?

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Yes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly