Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Yo Fran - and other ukulele collectors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  7:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

the last time we were on maui (susie was running the maui half marathon) we came across the bounty music booth at the marathon registration headquarters.

it's not every marathon that has an ukulele booth at their registration headquarters, note.

anyway, there was a fellow there named fujii who makes ukuleles. here's a page about his ukes:

http://www.ukes.com/fujii.html

of course, my head snapped while we were strolling by. they noticed, and they pulled out a little portable amp, plugged one in, and said "want to give it a spin?"

you can probably guess the rest of the story.

anyway, this is one hot ukulele. i've had a blast with it. i don't think that he makes enough of them to distribute more widely, but next time you're in his part of the world, go check them out.

(and yes, of course, kevin knows the maker. kevin calls him "doc" because he can fix any guitar).

aloha,
keith

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Don't be talkin' to me, Keith Marzullo. It's all your fault that I stopped in on Ken Potts last time I was in Maui.

Fran

PS - I'm not a collector, I'm a victim.

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cheeba
Aloha

25 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Send cheeba an AOL message  Send cheeba a Yahoo! Message
that uke looks like my flooring
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I hope to build a solid body uke someday. Does anyone have any tips about what kind of pickup to use? I guess an undersaddle would be the only option.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  05:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
Fujii ukes aren't completely solid (which may give them that flooring look). he found the sound was better when they weren't solid. i'll see if i can get an email address for him; i'm sure that he'd be happy to tell you about his design work.

aloha,
keith

PS - i like that - "ukulele victim".
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  05:41:55 AM  Show Profile
Keith, from the back views of the ukes it looks like there is a metal plate bolted on the back. Does yours have that?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi dusty,

it does, yes. i've not taken it off; i'll need to check it out.

keith
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The cool ukes from Fujii are solid body with just a routed out area for electronics. And it looks like the bridge is just glued on. I've got some mahogany slabs to start this project when life slows down a little.
Keith, do you put yours through any particular effects to add some ambience to the sound?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Cool looking 'ukes! I play a couple of Risa solid body 'ukuleles
(1 nylon 1 steel string). How are the electronics on the Fujii? Seem to be plug & play.

Steven
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000