Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Grammy nominations - slack key heavy!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  07:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Awards to be announced Feb. 8, 2006.

• Slack Key Dreams Of The Ponomoe - Kapono Beamer [Kapono Beamer Enterprises, Ltd]
• Sweet & Lovely - Raiatea Helm [Raiatea Helm Records]
• Kiho'alu - Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar - Ledward Ka'apana [Rhythm & Roots Records]
• Slack Key Guitar: The Artistry Of Sonny Lim - Sonny Lim [Palm Records]
• Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar - Vol. 1 - Various Artists; Daniel Ho, Paul Konwiser & Wayne Wong, producers [Daniel Ho Creations]

Edited by - Retro on 12/08/2005 09:11:16 AM

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  1:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
In another on-line forum (populated primarly by posters based in the Islands), there have been a lot of questions about the attention paid to slack key by the Grammy voters. I recently posted this in response to some of those questions ---

There are about 17,000 voting members of the Recording Academy (including yerz trooly), though not everyone votes in the "Folk" field, which is where the Hawaiian Album category is placed. But there are only around 100 members from Hawai`i, so the Mainland influence is very strong.

Slack-key is what most Mainland music folks know, if they know any Hawaiian music, and that was reinforced with last year's win. The hope is that, someday, we'll have separate vocal and instrumental categories, but until then, it's great to even have a Hawaiian category at all --- it shows how strong this unique musical style and industry has become, and it will help to spread the sound to new ears.

Congratulations to all the nominees; please do not spend the next two months biting your nails with anticipation, or it may adversely affect your playing!
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  6:05:26 PM  Show Profile
GREGG,
Although I'm a Grammy member through Pacific NW Chapter, I tried to influence local (San Francisco) Chapter into letting me set up an evening to play cuts from all the nominees - even if only a couple of people showed up - didn't work out.

I think next year I'm gonna contact Kawika Afliche and see if he wants to sponsor such an event at his coffee house and invite local Grammy folks.

Just not enough touring by the other folks, not to mention almost no airplay, for others to get to know them.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  06:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
There's a certain irony in this. In the years I've been working on the book, I've had to explain to people repeatedly that the kind of Hawaiian guitar music I'm writing about *isn't* steel and doesn't much sound like the steel-heavy music they're thinking of. Even the high visibility of the Dancing Cat series didn't make a dent. Now slack key instrumentals seem to be the first thing Academy members think of when asked to nominate. Of course, there are probably other factors, including the strong presence of the aforementioned Dancing Cat albums and other slack key releases in the "international" sections of chain stores. I would have thought that Iz might have had some impact, but at the moment slack key seems to be flavor of the month. Wait until the neo-traditional trios and quartets (Maunalua, for example) get noticed. . . . Hawaiian lounge doo-wop!

Edited by - Russell Letson on 12/10/2005 07:00:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
A favor, s'il vous plait:
In my earlier post, I mentioned "another on-line forum," and a TP-er wrote me an e-mail asking about that forum. Then, my company's e-mail system promptly failed and the message was lost, so I didn't get a chance to respond, and I don't know who wrote the message to me.
Would you write me again, please? MAHALO! =Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  2:38:22 PM  Show Profile
I occasionally look, so I know that "another on-line forum" is not soc.culture.hwn.HNL.Alvin E.Toda nor Alt.music.hwn.Auntie Maria. And, for some strange reason, I can not now get to KD's site. So, what is it?

Is it a secret?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  2:58:26 PM  Show Profile
I went to the HAPA concert on Saturday and Charles made a very pointed remark about having been passed over for nominaion this year in favor of slack key. He ribbed Barry about being a slack key player, questioned why anyone would want to listen to music that originated to put cows to sleep. He seemed to think that the cowboys came from Wisconsin... And here at a concert in SoCal, seemed to think we'd all seen white Christmases... definitely not so, as was noted by many in casual conversation. I guess I'm getting Too Old because it was Too Loud. I love Nathan's voice, Barry is amazing, and Charles does an interesting hula to back up the lovely ladies dancing the hula.
So, whether it be slack key, or other music reminding me of a warm and gentle place, I'm glad it's in there. And to quote my Dad, "The pendulum swings".
n
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  5:56:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I guess I'm getting Too Old because it was Too Loud
No... it's just too loud.

Eventually some "ambulance chasing" lawyer is going to realize that the medical proof of physical damage due to loud music is a more solid case than the medical proof of damage due to smoking tobacco. (and the defense is the same). Until then, save you ears and do not attend such loud concerts.

(But, of course, you won't get you money back if you leave cause it's too loud! )

I.M.H.O.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/14/2005 09:14:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  7:13:53 PM  Show Profile
I always carry soft 32db reduction ear plugs with me when I go to a concert - well, not for slack key, guitar recitals, opera, etc. - I mean for pop type concerts. They work
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile
T'anks guys - the previous 2 concerts in the series were John Keawe w/ Brittni, and Ohta-San w/ Herb jr, Keoki and Daniel..... No need for earplugs.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  08:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
The website I visit regularly, for discussions of all things Hawaiian, is HawaiiThreads.com. It's not just about music, though there are some postings about that; most of the posters are Island-based.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  12:11:57 PM  Show Profile
Reid -- there are discussions of Hawaiian music at:
http://www.mauicast.net/nahenahe/

And the moderated 'net newsgroup soc.culture.hawaii

There was a time when alt.music.hawaiian was
the #1 place to discuss Hawaiian music and
musicians -- but it's been seized by the
trolls and weirdo-s!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  1:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Reid -

KD moved nahenahe.net to a new content management system a few weeks ago - perhaps you didn't get the new site bookmarked? The mauicast link that Auntie Maria provided is the new link.

Deb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000