Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Your holiday wish list? Gift ideas & suggestions?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

The holiday season is upon us. What's on your wish list? Any good gift ideas or things to share that I might use as a gift or treat myself to post-holidays? The taropatch `ohana is always good for ideas and maybe you know of some cool stuff that I do not know about.

If you or a fellow Hawaiian music afficionado do not own, Sons of Hawai`i book and DVD, you might want to check that out.

Personally, the high quality of everyone's Taropatch CD submissions has inspired me to invest in some recording gear. I have to go research that again.

Andy

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  2:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
As always, the number one item on my wish list is peace. One of these years, I'm going to get my wish so I can ask for that puppy...

Annie and I have a habit of giving donations to the Heifer Project and other charitable organizations in lieu of gifts. Perhaps some of the Taropatch `ohana would care to do something similar?

I'd like to suggest a gift to Aunty Nona's Scholarship fund:

Beamer Family Scholarships c/o  Kamehameha Schools, 567 South King Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, Hawai'i 96813

You'd truly be helping perpetuate the culture and life of the the land. And you'd be helping a great lady with her recovery.

Sending aloha,

Mark Kailana Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Mark, I'm grateful for that suggestion. I know that Auntie Nona's heart yearns for the children's education, and I can't think of a better gift. Except her health, of course.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:52:07 AM  Show Profile
The Makaha Sons also have a non-profit foundation that could benefit from your gifts. They award a scholorship to a deserving high school senior majoring in music or theatre.

Contact Moon at
MAKAHA SONS, INC.
P.O. Box 1246
Waianae, HI 96792
(808) 225-9530

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You guys have sooo much aloha! I was looking for cool gifts to buy, but welcome your reminders to give this season. Also great ideas since they are uniquely Hawaiian.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  09:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yeah, I've been dropping hints about a large diaphragm condenser mic, but I think my wife got me a jacket.
Mele Kalikimaka,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  08:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I need a jacket that fits my "large diaphragm" --- that's a nice euphemism for my middle-age spread.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Retro,
Sounds like you need a large-diaphragm condensor (aka girdle?) I know all about that middle age spread....sort of like urban sprawl, without the WalMart

On the giving front, we have a local organization called Santa's Clearing House which accepts gifts all year to disperse to needy kids and families in the area. Last week they had an article in the paper uggesting that they especially needed stuff ofor teenage boys. I cruised the local guitar shops and pawn shops and found a beat-up Yamaha flat-top dreadnaught. Got it for 75 bucks. The headstock had broken off an inch north of the nut and had been re-glued. The body (all solid spruce top, mahogany sides and back) was in good shape. About 1/2 inch clearance at the 12th fret made it unplayable, but it did have a truss rod, so i took it home and removed the put-on-backwards strings, adjusted the truss rod, lowered the saddle a bit, restrung it with a set i had taken off my old Ovation, and now have a nice sounding cheap guitar to give away. I will add a voucher good for 3 free guitar lessons. Cheap gift that could last someone a lifetime (not the guitar, the music inside it).
And, the Heifer idea is another great feel-good gift to those les fortunate. Sue and I do that every year.

As to what to get for yourself (or me, for that matter, in cae any of you were wondering)....hmmmmmm, there's lots of good guitars, (I prefer Taylor) straps,(cheap) recording gear,(minimal) strings,(Elixers nanos) instructional DVDs (Homespun Tapes...Bob Brozman's Hawaiian slide would be nice), and CDs. I don;t know what i'd want in that category, but here are some of my favorites in that category;
Taropatch 2005 compilation (sorry, out of print)
Paul tagioka "KiHoalu Inn"
Anything by John Keawe that you do not already have, including his instructional DVD
Merry Chritmas to all, and to all, a good life

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Hey folks Slack Tracks is an outstanding Christmas gift that will be enjoyed not only for its instructional value, but some teriffic songs played by very talented musicians that would be welcome additions to a Slack Key library.

Listen to cuts at www.slacktracks.com

Edited by - Ianui on 12/16/2005 10:08:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000