Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Crazy G
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MiBo
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  10:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard the song "Crazy G"? I have never heard it, but have found it is on an out-of-print CD called "Hidden Treasures: Ukulele Stylings #2". A friend wants to learn to play it; she hasn't heard it since she was in Hawaii a couple of years ago. I'd like the challenge of transcribing it.

Is it a common tune? Another friend says it is to ukulele what "Chopsticks" is to piano. The ideal solution would be to get sheet music for it.

Mike

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  11:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi MiBo,

i have a version of it that i got from ray sakuma. it is a fun piece, but he transcribed it in an unusual style. if you can wait until next week, i'll try to put it into a better format, or give up and ask you to where i should mail a copy.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  1:10:21 PM  Show Profile
"Crazy G" is on the new ART OF THE SOLO `UKULELE release -- played by Jake Shimabukuro:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2526.htm

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

MiBo
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  2:49:44 PM  Show Profile
It sounds a little more complicated than "Chopsticks". Auntie, any idea where to get sheet music?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  09:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi mike,

i put the version of "crazy G" from roy sakuma's class on the web at http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.ps (i converted it to tab). It's in postscript, but i'll try to get the .pdf version out there later today. you can hear the version at http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.mid. i think that everyone plays it differently, i certainly color it up a bit from this version.

cheers,
keith

PS i put the pdf up too: www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/CrazyG.pdf I wish I could make PowerTab midi files sound less like a honkytonk piano.

PPS why didn't i put a key of G key signature on a song called "Crazy G"? because i'm crazy? i'll fix that at some point...

Keith

Edited by - marzullo on 10/07/2002 2:24:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  11:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Keith,

Thanks!

Pauline

OK, I just downloaded the PDF in case Ghostview no longer works. I haven't printed either version because my ink cartridge just ran dry. Aha! I have a refill kit. Never tried this before, but the instructions are clear. Auger a hole? OK. Insert ink. OK. Plug augered hole with rubber plug. Not OK. Ink on 9 out of 10 fingers. Forgot to wear rubber gloves. Arrrgh. Seal everthing in zip top bag and toss. Plan trip to office supply store.

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 10/07/2002 2:56:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  4:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e pauline,

i gotta say, your episode sounds like the makings of a perfect commercial for HP or Epson. you could be the star, getting your pickin' fingers covered in ink, and then led could walk in, slip in the standard (and boku bucks) cartridge, smile at the camera and say while it clicks in, "all you got to do is jus' press!"

yeah, madison avenue isn't going to be beating a path to my door,

aloha, keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  4:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
That was too good! When Ledward comes through this month, I'm checking his aloha shirt for an HP or Epson sponsorship logo.

Would you rather buy a product fronted by Led or Anna Kournikova... please don't answer that.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MiBo
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  12:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Keith,

Mahalo plenny. I'm already hard at work at it.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000