Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke Reviews
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  03:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Anyone know of a site that has reviews for ukes, like Harmony Central has for guitars?

I look at 'em on e-bay and haven't a clue which could be ok, and which are universally crap.

or, in lieu of that, personal opinion, something like...

silvertone-mostly firewood
regal-sweet but flimsy
kamaka-all great

etc
etc

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  11:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've owned several, though I'm not a collector. But my opinion is that most ukuleles aren't very good because of the difficulty in making an accurately intonated short scale instrument or the cost of making a resonating chamber so small. It's the same with mandolins and violins, but those often have movable bridges.
But every Martin and Kamaka I have played (4 or 5) has had good or passable intonation. The wood on my Kamaka is solid Koa about 1/16" thick. It sounds great. Intonation is only passable, though, so I can really only play open string or first position chords on it.
I've also had a Silvertone, an Aria, an Antares and various other cheap ones, and none had good intonation or good resonance because the wood was too heavy or it was made of plywood.
So many have raved about the Fluke Uke, though, that it could be that their molded fretboard has solved some of the intonation problems.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  12:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Ross, check out http://www.flea-mkt-music.com/ to start. Jim Beloff has created a very useful site, with a long discussion of ukuleles. It's a great place get an introduction by searching through the archives.

Do a google search on ukulele and you'll find a fair number of sites, most interlinked.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  2:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hey Jesse and Fran,
thanks for the info.
A lotta people been telling me fluke, fluke!
I really like wood; lookin' at it, touching it, so ultimately I'll find a nice wooden instrument. For now, I got a cheapie Kent off e-bay, and maybe I'll try a fluke too.

Mahalo,
Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000