Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Urgent: translation for Ku'u Lei Awapuhi
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  12:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I am desperately searching for the English translation of Ku'u Lei Awapuhi. On Sunday, September 29, I want to play it for my younger brother's Memorial Service, and wanted to be able to explain the song to the congregation. I seem to remember that the words were very sweet. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Julie

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  04:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Julie,

A memorial service for your brother? My condolences to you and your family.

I Googled for "Ku'u Lei Awapuhi" and it showed up as a line in "My Yellow Ginger Lei". Here's one site: http://www.squareone.org/Hapa/m8.html

Another one, very different: http://66.84.16.15/huapala/Kuu_Lei_Awapuhi.html

Not a translation, an explanation: http://www.kapono.com/137linernotes

I hope one of these helps.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  12:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Pauline, thank you so much for your effort. I checked them out, but the version I'm looking for has words by Emily Taylor. It starts so: Auhea la 'oe ke aloha... I have the Hawiian words, and I know that the song asks "Where are you?" Thanks again. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  2:40:39 PM  Show Profile
Aloha From Maui, Hawaii!

First of all Julie, I would like to send my Heartfelt Condolences to your lost....Just about three weeks ago, I lost two of my Uncles. The sad part about it all, was that it happened all during the same week, and just few days apart.....

Anyway, your choice of music is indeed a beautiful one....How better way to say goodbye to your Beloved Brother.....This is for you.....

Ku'u lei Awapuhi (Where Are You My Beloved)

Where are you, my beloved?
You, who are like the ginger, covered in the misty rain
If only we could be together again
Here, to love's sweet embrace I call thee

Chorus:
Oh my beloved (I am here)
Where are you? (Here indeed am I)
Itis you who I will forever turn to

Julie....I only hope you will get this before Sunday.

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  3:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Bill & Julie,
Condolences to both of you. Give yourselves time and space for grieving, and expect it to happen at the least expected moments. And make sure you're with family/friends for these upcoming holidays. The first time through is the worst. From experience.
Malama pono
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Slackkey Bill,

My condolences to you, too. May your music comfort you.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  4:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, everyone. I will play this song tomorrow, hope I'm able to do it. It helps to know that there are so many wonderful, caring people out there. Aloha to all of you, Julie
By the way, my brother played in bands throughout the Bay Area and Auburn, and he played a lot of Hawaiian gigs with Tio, a local lady in San Jose. He probably knew and loved this song also.
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  6:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All!

Thank you very much....Like Julie, I too decided to remember them with my "Slack Key Stlylings", and played for both my Uncles during their Wake Services. It was hard to even begin my playing, as I
was overwhelmed with emmotions....I closed my eyes asked for strength to carry-on.....Suddenly I felt that really familiar chill (Puhiwa)....a warm touching feeling. I then knew they were with me....

Julie, as much as your Younger Brother Loved Hawaiian Music, let his passion for them burn within you, and let his Mana (Spirit) overwhelm you, and too give you strength carry-on. Sing from your Heart's content....allow your emmotions to make "Ku'u Lei Awapuhi"a really wonderful, and special way to say Good-Bye to Him. Me Ke Aloha Pumehana.....

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  7:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
My condolences to you - Bill and Julie. Hard to say goodbye to loved ones, but I am sure you're music was heard well beyond this world. Much aloha to you both.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000