Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Effects box
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  07:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Ultra-simplified quick explanation (I gotta do my taxes :-(

DI (Direct) just means that the signal is changed from unbalanced to balanced so you can have long cable runs without (much) loss.

Unbalanced means the cable just has signal and ground (essentially) - which is conducted over a TS (Tip-Sleeve) connector cable from your guitar to the box (look at the connector). Balanced means that there are 3 wires in the cable (there are a couple of ways to do that: TRS - R means Ring -or XLR connectors)a ground plus two signal wires. Arithmetic can be done (analog arithmetic, too) - in a couple of ways - on the 3 wires so that noise gets subtracted from the signal and inevitable transmission losses are minimized.

I gotta go mess with the IRS. If anybody wants to deunclarify what I wrote, feel free.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
DI (Direct) just means that the signal is changed from unbalanced to balanced so you can have long cable runs without (much) loss.

More or less.

DI actually stands for "Direct Injection." The idea is to use a DI (AKA Direct Box) to change the impedence so you can plug a Hi Z source -- like a guitar or bass -- into a lo Z input on mixer. As a side benefit, you get the long cable runs.

For anyone interested in this stuff, I'd suggest checking out the excellent online "Word of the Day" and "Tech Tip of the Day" archives at Sweetwater.com:

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/word.php

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/techtip.php

Or you could just read my dang book. http://www.mark-o.com/

Sorry, I forgot to add the dang smiley so no one would think I was mad, or anything. Here it is:

Written communication is soooo easy to misinterpret. I wonder how earlier generations got along without emoticons??

"Chapter One: I am born. "

"Call me Ishmael. "

"It was a dark and stormy night. "

Edited by - Mark on 03/16/2006 4:22:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  02:14:43 AM  Show Profile
Well, I bought the book...does that count?

Thanks all, I don't know where I got the idea that DI stood for digital interface...

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000