Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Effects box
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  1:10:38 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

I am going to get your book asap. Was wondering if anyone could talk to the Tascam Digitizer (acoustic recording). Costs about as much (a little) less than the Layla, some dealer was trying to explain it to me. The layla looks nice though...

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  04:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Mark (et al),

Does the PADI do a subset of what the GNX3000 does? Or is the PADI completely unique, do things that the PADI cannot do? I realize that this is a personal taste issue...I have a deal pending on ebay for a PADI and like to know quickly. It may turn out that one should have both...Please assist,

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  06:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Mike,

If the PADI that your refer to is the Baggs "Para Acoustic DI" box, it has no effects, but it does have an effects loop jack (TRS). I have this box and have used the jack to allow an effects unit into the loop.

I also have the Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum which is a Pre-amp, EQ, and DI box with a Smooth (Compressor) control. It does not have an effects loop jack. I use this most of the time when playing my Taylor 614CE and California Blond with a "Standards/Swing Band".

My guitar instructor uses two of the Fishman units to mic his Banjo and Mandolin in the same group. They offer easier control of the signal than the Baggs unit. BUT, neither unit has an effect built in except for the "Smooth" control of the Fishman. If I had to have one only, it would be the Fishman at this time.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I got my gnx-3000 in today...its gonna take me a year to figure this thing out...makes me wonder why I have a Para Acoustic D.I. and a Boss Chorus Ensemble (CE-5)!! Maybe I will sell them...any one interested? Anyone want to talk me out of this?

$90 for the PADI and $50 for the CE-5 (+shipping). I know this should go somewhere else, not sure if I will sell them...

Mike

edit: will also consider some kind of a trade for a Fishman Matrix type pickup (or a pickup of some high quality). (Bridge pickup)

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 01/26/2006 8:19:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  07:43:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm only catching this thread about a month late...

I'm constantly trying to tweak my onstage sound and haven't been very successful, so the above info is interesting. I've tried Yamaha's Acoustic Stomp (not the Magic Stomp, but the AG-Stomp) but it is too complicated, I find. The Magic Stomp looks a lot simpler. I may try it. My question here is what would the recommended set up be: guitar into pre-amp (I have a Baggs PADI), then that into the effects box, then that into the PA?

What I REALLY want to know is how Keola Beamer achieves the beautiful sound he gets on stage? I never see much up there with him save for monitors and his guitars. Is it the guitar ("that" guitar), or what? I'm betting Mark might be able to provide some insight.

I use two guitars, mostly, my Taylor 12-string, which always sounds great and presents no problems just connected naked to the board, and then a Taylor 6-string (314-CE) which presents lots of problems. I can't ever EQ it to a point where I'm happy. It always sounds so boxy and quacky and ... well. Then there's my Rainsong. I've all but given up on using it onstage. Again, boxy, quacky, unpleasant. Any ideas?

Duke
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  08:09:00 AM  Show Profile
I, too wuld like to know what Keola uses on stage
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  09:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
What I REALLY want to know is how Keola Beamer achieves the beautiful sound he gets on stage? I never see much up there with him save for monitors and his guitars. Is it the guitar ("that" guitar), or what? I'm betting Mark might be able to provide some insight.

Not much, I'm afraid. I know he's got some kind of a pick-up + internal mic set-up, with an internal preamp (control mounted inside one of the pukas.) Several TPers have mounted similar systems in their guitars, so maybe one of them can help. Or call Grimes, since he's the guy what did it.

Keola runs into a passive DI -- I believe its a Stewart, but don't quote me. No FX other than what's put there by the main sound operator.

So, basically, its a combination of a great guitar plus a well-set-up pickup/mic/pre-amp, plus miles of technique.

quote:
My question here is what would the recommended set up be: guitar into pre-amp (I have a Baggs PADI), then that into the effects box, then that into the PA?

That would depend on both the DI and the FX box. Stomp boxes are designed to see a hi Z input from a guitar - so feeding it from the out of the DI wouldn't give it the proper level. You could take a line level out from the DI providing the box can accept line level, of course. Then you'd run a line level to the PA -- which sorta negates some of the benefits of using a DI.

The best option is to run the FX in and out of an FX loop on the DI -- providing, of course, that your DI has an FX loop and your FX handles line level. Alternately, use the FX loop on your amp/PA if it's close enuf to you on stage. Since you have the Bose deal, this involves some jiggery-pokery, but it can be done.

Otherwise, put the FX in front of the DI and tweak away.

Regarding the complexity of the Acoustic Stomp vs the Magic Stomp -- if the one was driving you crazy, wait until you try t'other! Fewer knobs mean more internal menus to suss out! You might want to settle on which effects you really like -- chorus? delay? 'verb? -- and try individual pedals until you reallly get a handle on what all those controls do. (Borrow some of Bob's. He probably has spares.

Lastly, have tried using a different DI for the offending guitars? It's rarely a one-siz- fit- all proposition. Regardless, try sweeping the hi mids (1.5 - 3 kHz) to isolate the piezo honk, then cut it. Do the same around 500 - 800 to find the boxiness. Your mileage may vary.

Happy tweaking!
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  5:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Mark! For me, it boils down to: I don't really want any effects at all. Just nice, pretty sounds from my nice, pretty guitars. You mentioned to me, in person, about the hi mids sweeping thing but it didn't sink in, so, great to see it in print. Thanks again.

Best to you and Annie from VERY rainy Hana.

Edited by - duke on 03/11/2006 5:27:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  7:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
My 2 cents; A main consideration is the type of rig or PA system that you're playing through. All the fancy stomp boxes in the world won't make much difference if your system isn't EQ'd correctly or just isn't able to reproduce the sound you're looking for. Also, something I truly believe is a very important piece of the puzzle and that people should really think about; "it isn't what you have, it's what you do with what you have". In his reference to Keola's sound, Mark hit it squarely on the head when he said, "it's miles of technique..."

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"

Edited by - ArtSap on 03/11/2006 8:17:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:08:50 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Art. That's advice I'm so guilty of forgetting... thanks for the reminder.
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  2:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Bruddah Duke, I often forget it too. Don't know how many times I've seen a new "toy" come out and think how nice it would be to have it. Then after I've purchased it I never really use it because the sound I prefer most is my natural, clean, unchanged/unaltered sound. When I do adjust my sound (mostly to play a different style of music) it's usually accomplished by changing my guitar's EQ or pickup selection or simply using finger muting techniques by either hand - which I'm sure you're familiar with. But you know what brah, those toys are certainly nice to have - just in case...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"

Edited by - ArtSap on 03/13/2006 2:19:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  02:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Mark,

Interestinf...have not even thought about the PADI DI output. Would I get better sound by plugging the PADI DI output into the GNX slr input?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  01:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Mark,

I did plug the DI of the PADI into the guitar input for the GNX...but not sure I should be doing this...quite a bit more amplification! also, seems I am plugging a digital signal into an analog input... don't think the gnx has a digital input. What do you think?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  04:31:22 AM  Show Profile
PADI is analog out, not digital.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  1:40:34 PM  Show Profile
OK...but what does DI refer to? ('splains why it works )

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000