Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Opinions on Takamine?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  07:16:59 AM  Show Profile
I've got lots of acoustics everything from $$$$ to $. It's going to be a matter of personal preference. I'd play as many different guitars as you possibly can. If there is one of those super stores near you (Guitar Center etc.) you can try out quite a few.

I personally prefer a rather low end Washburn. The EA20/Monterey series. I've got a few of those. (Think Barry Flanagan's guitar, without the Steve Grimes custom neck) Actually, it is Barry's guitar!

When I went to San Franciscon a couple years back for a Kani, Stacey was playing a VERY inexpensive 'Jay Turser' acoustic. I was pretty dumbfounded by the sound, and purchased one mail order the very next day. It is my best sounding acoustic guitar and set me back a whopping $189.00 + shipping.

You can get a very expensive guitar made on a bad day, or a cheap guitar made on a really good day. That's why you want to try out the guitar you purchase.

As a final bias.....Kiho'alu sounds great on any guitar. Don't fall into the 'it's best if it has so and so' camp.

BTW: Whatever happened to Stacey?

Cheers,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  08:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Piff. I was also wondering what happened to Stacey. Met her a few times and literally gave her the shirt off my back (A So. Cal Slack Key Society Shirt) at the first Hawaiian Institute in Redwood City. She hasn't posted in eons. She had a nice Martin Koa guitar that I coveted.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile
This response may be too late for you, but I would look at Godin's "Seagull" series. They are 1.8" wide at the nut and also have a 1.9" Peppino Agostino model. I like wider necks for finger picking and have recently gone through a long selection process myself. Web site at lasido.com, prices at musiciansfriend.com

Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000