Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 string squeek
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  04:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I asked a question a few months ago about which strings squeek the least. Just thought I'd share after trying out the responses. Elixir polywebs squeek the least, cause they're the most coated. Nanowebs come in second. Regular phosphor bronze comes in next. I find that the Elixirs sacrifice some tone for slack key music, so it's a bit of a tradeoff. Also, playing on the pads of the fingers reduces squeeks, as opposed to the calluses on the tips. Thanks all for the input!

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  6:39:22 PM  Show Profile
I am a HUGE fan of Elixirs. Love those strings. I use Medium strings. However, I do not have a problem with string squeek noise...in fact, I believe it adds to the music.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Just a funny side note. I have that condition known as "40 something eyes" or "shortenin' of da arms". Anyways, my wife gave me some reading glasses the other day...while I was practicing, I happened to look down at the strings (Elixir, Polywebs), and I could SEE fuzz all over them (fret locations and over the picking area).

I laughed at my self for a while.

Did not realize that that stuff "fuzzed" off.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  5:09:03 PM  Show Profile
I too think it adds to the esthetic of the guitar sound; to a degree. I've recorded many acoustic players through the years and the good players know when and how and to what degree to use them. The poor players have never practiced the techniques to limit them. I remember my first lesson with Ozzie. He spent a great deal of time teaching how to limit them. Keola once said to me that eliminating them was the Engineer's problem. He was messin' with me a little, because I know for a fact that he practices to keep them at a minimum. After that, it is the Engineer's problem. And for me, I can solve the problem.

That said, I've become a real fan of Elixir Nanowebs. They don't fray like the Polys and they are a little brighter. It seems to me they sound their best at day three, so whenever I set up to record myself, I change strings three days before. John Pearse sound best at about six hours and you have about two days worth of recording life. They are remarkable sounding, but they don't last long. You also need excellent squeak technique if you're going to record with them. All this is IMHO.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  9:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Interesting point. My copy of Punehele, Ray Kane, is very interesting. I have listened to it hundred's of times. Recently, my wife gave me a set of noise canceling headphones (Phillips) for Christmas. With those headphones on AND active noise cancelling engaged, I can hear every finger movement (slide) and many breaths tha the takes. I like it...makes it seem closer.

Mike

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 01/16/2005 04:06:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  10:08:09 AM  Show Profile
On a medium or medium light set, what gauge would be right for an unwound plain third? .20? .24?

There are such strings. Has anyone tried this?

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Yes - an unwound third is what I almost always have.

I use a .020 or .022 diameter with a light guage set, and
a .022 or .024 diameter with a heavy set. I made a
string diameter calculator in MathCad which calculates
the optimal diameter for either wound or unwound strings
for any tuning. It turns out that you do not have to be
too precise, ergo the variation above.

With unwound strings for the highest three, there is MUCH
less squeak, but I still have to be careful when sliding
on the 4th.

I am not the only player who uses a solid third, there
are, or have been, several well known players who have
used this approach (but I forget who at the moment).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/17/2005 07:53:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  11:28:50 AM  Show Profile
String squuek bothers me a lot -- unfortunately I'm not a good enough musician to avoid it. Oh well, I guess that's another thing on my list of stuff I'm learning to live with.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  4:47:20 PM  Show Profile
Who makes strings with unwound thirds? Or, are you taking the b string from a heavier set?

BTW, Is it possible to buy string "on a roll"?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile
Like RJS, the squeeking really bothers me (like fingernails on a chalkboard). I also use Elixer Polywebs but haven't noticed any fraying.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  1:15:11 PM  Show Profile
I usually buy an Elixr nanoweb set and also
as single solid string for the third at the
same time (costs me about $1.50 more). Most
music shops have single strings for sale.
This means I have lots of leftover wound 3rd
strings lying around (Maybe I can sell them
all down on HighWay 61, along with the red,
white and blue shoe strings!)

On a roll?? - the problem is the fastening at
the saddle. I figure it is worth the $1.50 to
have the little "ball" already attached.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  2:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Lawrence, I buy spare Nano G strings because they break more often than the others. I'll buy yours. See you at the benefit.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  2:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, on a roll! Never thought about that before...but the little thingy on the end bothered me too. Still, after all, I would have thought someone would have created such a system.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Mike GHS strings has lots of unwound 3rd strings going to .26. Icouldn`t go back to a 3rd wound after unwound, the squeek there has gone forever. An article on Robert Johnson, who used an unwound, led me to search one out, as a beginner Interm.what a god send. chip
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  03:30:01 AM  Show Profile
For those who use unwound 3rd strings, a couple of questions:

1. The 3rd string (usually G) is very near the breaking point at that tension, and even if tuned *down* and up and *down* again, we have had them pop, regardless of brand. Is there any different behavior with these unwound 3rd strings,especially the larger diameters?

2. Is there a noticeable sonic difference between wound and unwound when plucked (apart from the squeak issue)?

3. What do they feel like on the *picking* finger/nail.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  09:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Reid,

1) I almost never break my solid G string, can't remember ever breaking one in fact.

2) Yes- there is a noticable sound difference, some people don't like the solid third sound very much, but to me it sounds more like the first and second strings so I consider the three to be a "trio". The diameter makes a big difference, the fatter sting will sound louder due to the greater tension, so fatter is better in that regard. However you do not want to exceed 20lbs or so of tension so that the neck strain it not too great. Dreadnaughts with a 25.5 inch scale length and medium gauge strings run about 18lbs per string, if I remember correctly (this can be looked up). I probably make a small unconsious change to my plucking style to accomodate the solid string. You can hear what it sounds like on the FIRST Taropatch CD on the song Ku'u Lei Awapuhi. On the second TaroPatch CD, I was in an extreme hurry so I used 1.5 year-old strings and did not do as careful a job on the recording either (had to get it all done in about 4 hours), so don'judge by this recording!

3) They feel like the 1st and 2nd string, only slightly tighter, mainly on the fingering hand. You and Sarah can try it and see if you like it, however give it a fair shake and play with it for at least a month before making any firm conclusions.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/21/2005 09:56:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000