Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 string squeek
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile
I use D'Addario Pro-Arte Composite, hard tension classical strings on my Ramirez. The set features an extra third string that is silverplated. Diameters are 0.04 and 0.037 w/ a tension of 12.4 and 13.1 respectively.

These strings have minimal squeek and last, which they should given the price.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  2:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Larry,

I use the same on my classical. The best ones out there in my opinion.

Reid:
I don't know if this is true or not (I use a wound 3rd G), but a friend mentioned that using an unwound 3rd ala Lawrence, would be perfectly suited to some styles like slack key. You are often playing the melody on the top 3 strings and the bass/rhythm on the bottom 3. The tonal differences might be more even all across by doing this. Havn't tried it - but it might make sense--kinda?

Just my $0.03 (inflation)

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  7:58:12 PM  Show Profile
John Williams of classical fame, used to take emery cloth & pollish the top of his base strings, then D`Addario brought out there Pro Arte EJ46LP [LP lightly pollished]which he now uses.I`ve never checked to see if they have a steel set pollished for us. When the set I`am using now get close to there end I`am going to give it a try, stay tuned. On my classical, I put a set of Thomastik-infeld - must be - KF110s these are beautiful strings no squeeks any where, any string, now your classical sounds like a steel string, nice for a change& no harm done, there specially made for classical. Chip
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  9:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Why would you want to make your classical guitar sound like a steel string?
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  05:57:58 AM  Show Profile
If you only have a classical guitar, or the one you take to the beach is a classical, the mellow sound does not do the intricate ki ho'alu justice.
I've hauled my paracho everywhere including back-packing, beach, ski trips etc. I wouldn't do that with my Dean. But the Dean helps my slack key songs sound cleaner and crisper.
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  1:41:31 PM  Show Profile
My first guitar was a classical,when first starting to learn slack k off cds tapes etc. it didn`t sound right, I strung it with thomastik & bingo, the tone was closer to the masters, then I got my taylor[714]now I`am in heaven, now, with the classical, I have two choices, nylon or steel, can`t beat that.& can also use it for slide & lap steel for practice. Chip
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  5:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Why would you want to make your classical guitar sound like a steel string?

My feelings exactly. If you want steel string, buy steel string. If you want classical, buy classical. Given your axe, ki ho'alu (and nahenahe) are relative. Let's face it, our individual guitars do sound different. The question seems to be "What do you want your sound to be," and whether or not it replicates the masters.

Sometimes you can't have both. Nor, in my opinion, should you necessarily want to. All artistic genre change, for bettah or worser, depending on your philosophical bent. Change in our musical realm is certainly happening right now and has been over the past few decades. It is not a matter of whether or not it is good or bad but how comfortable you are in playing it. Whatever it may be.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  09:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Tony Rice once told me that tone resides in the player rather than the instrument. I firmly believe this. I seen great players coax golden tones from not so great instruments.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  11:29:07 AM  Show Profile
D'Addario Pro-Arte EJ45 strings come with a solid 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and wound 4th, 5th, 6th. The big problem with them, however, is the 4th string frays long before the others need to be replaced.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  3:07:30 PM  Show Profile
I've written this before, but it might be worth retelling.
Bunch of years ago I was going to a lesson with Ozzie -- communiting from Big Island -- got to Oahu early so I went to Aloha Stadium fleamarket -- ended up buying this really funky guitar for about 20 bucks -- after my lesson, Ozzie took a look at my "new" guitar -- tuned it and proceeded to play some of the most heart-melting slack key I've heard. The guitar is, and was a real piece of junk. Ozzie is a Master. Sure, he sounds great on a great guitar, but he also sounded great on an instrument out of which I never ended up getting much good sound..
(PS. It was a "classical/nylon" guitar.

Edited by - RJS on 01/23/2005 3:10:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  7:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Yes, Raymond, those good players can m ake anything sound good. And, as for the "masters", many of them play classical anyway, not steel strings, and it sure sounds great to me.
Auntie Nancy said ".......a classical, the mellow sound does not do the intricate ki ho'alu justice." I just got a CD by Jeff Patterson, took a lesson from Hal Kinnamon, am in love with Ozzie Kotani's work. All play classical guitars, all do more than justice to slack key.

By the way, anyone remember Jerry Reed? "The Claw". "Tupelo Mississippi Flash", "When Your'e Hot, You're Hot" etc.. That rockin' dude did it all on classical guitar
The music is in the player, not the guitar. We all espouse the wonders of the particular gujitars we have or have seen others play, and we seem to think if we get one like Keola (if we could wait that long or had that much money) we could play like him. but i will never sound any good on any of my guitars compared to the really good players. I can still feel good about myself, play to me best potential, occassionally get through a WHOLE SONG withut a mistake, and, yeah, the better axe makes me sound better to myself, but, as Lance Armstrong said, "It's not about the bike".

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  7:47:00 PM  Show Profile
You betchem Red Ryder. Jerry Reed, Glen Campbell and Roy Clark. Unbelievable guiter players.

Dave. Not an RD either, just a dentist
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  9:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Eh Karl,
Guess I should have clarified that. But as you all say, it's the player that does or doesn't make the guitar sing... my classical sounded very nice when Patrick played it. And it's sounding a bit better now that I'm learning a little and not pickig it so gently. But given that I don't have the confidence, nor the talent or knowledge, the steel strings sound better to me.
I have trouble going from one to the other just because of the difference in the neck and fretboard and have to look to see where I'm going.
So that's where I am....
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  1:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Carbon trebles give classical guitars the most volume, yet keep "classical sound."
Hannaback Medium/High Tension wuth Carbon Trebles are pretty easy to find and give most guitars a nice "punch."
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  7:03:36 PM  Show Profile
I sprung for a set of Elixir Polyweb lights, and yes- there is a lot less squeek on the 3rd string when moving up and down in Taro patch. It's still there a bit, but not as bad.

The strings are also very nice sounding- gauge from .12 to .53, a bit heavy for a "light " set, but good for slacking the strings and still having some body. My six string is one of the new Epiphone Gibson copies- cheap, but plays ok. It was in need of new strings, and this set really lit it up.

Earlier today, I played a 40 year old Martin D-18 at the Guitar Center. Such a beautiful sound, almost made me cry. Exactly the same guitar I had back in the early 60s, bought in Honolulu used for about $200.

The part that made me almost cry was the $3,999 price tag...

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000