Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Anyone used "Band in a Box"?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  5:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
I'm interested in using Band in a Box for my regular guitar and flute practicing. Has anyone used this? If so, what do you think about it? Would it work for slack key and/or ukulele practice?
Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Mahalo,
Froppe

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  06:55:56 AM  Show Profile
Contact Don Narup (Ianui). He's used it. I saw it at his place and it's got lots of features for creating original music.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  09:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Been using it since v 1.

It's a great program for practicing, plus it has some fairly sophisticated tools for creating your own "styles" etc. And you can export MIDI files into your DAW to ruff out arrangements.

Just enter the chords, pick a style (the jazz styles are by far the best, IMHO) and wail away. You can easily set to up to practice over simple changes, vary the tempo, change keys, etc.

That being said, don't expect to find anything approaching Hawaiian musical styles out of the box.

Go for it.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  1:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
I have it, and as Mark says not real useful in creating Hawaiian music. Not a whole lot of Blues either. Entering chords and selecting styles produces some interesting songs. I like the fact that it creates tabs and separate sheet music for each instrument you include.

You can also put in your chords and ask the program to create a melody.

I have converted songs to wav or MIDI files and imported them. That's how I learned uncle Dennis's song Far away. Slowed the tempo, and created loops for different sections which is very easy to do. The program also displays a guitar fret board and highlights the fingering on the fretboard as the song plays. I find that feature very useful

It's a fun tool

Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  05:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for your responses, Terry, Mark and Don. I sincerely appreciate your input. I've already tried the program, and think that it will work very well for me. Being practically computer illiterate, I can see that it will take some time for me to learn how to utilize many of the features. However, I do believe that it will be a very useful tool for practicing and writing arrangements.
Mahalo!
Aloha,
Ben Sterling
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000