Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Buying My First Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jonnie
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  09:39:15 AM  Show Profile
...I'm going to take some beginning ukulele lessons this month for my own entertainment. I need to buy a ukulele as well.

I spent about 30 minutes at a local music store and the guy was extremely patient, informative and not a sign of ego. Seems like I found a good fit what I want to do.

I'm looking at instruments now, like the tenor, and have narrowed it down to a Lanikai because of the solid wood construction.

Is there anything else I'm not asking or should be considering?

TIA

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  09:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Jonnie,
I can't say for certain but I am not aware of any Lanikai that is solid wood. They are made witha laminate. I think the Bushman Jenny's are solid mahogany. Might want to give them a look.
http://jumpingflea.com/default.cfm
Good luck,
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Jonnie
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  6:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the link (and I've bookmarked it). I am going to check back with the music store and double-check I'm talking about a Lanikai. If I end up with a Bushman (solid wood) then I can probably get the store to order - the guy was very patient and mellow, and this seems to be (so far) the norm for people who play. Stumbling into Hawaiian music has been one of the nicest surprises in a long while...

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  9:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Jonnie,
I have a couple Lanikai ukes, including a koa tenor model. For what they are, they sound pretty good! The laminate is very thin compared to a laminated guitar. Changing strings can improve the sound immensely.
But if you can afford a Bushman or a number of others in $300+ range, you might hear the difference. Some midprice ukes are Mele, Lehua, Ovation and a number of others. Check out www.ukuleleworld.com and www.ukes.com for some examples.
Good luck. Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  02:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha jonnie,

selecting an uke is so personal, perhaps even more so at the inexpensive end of the spectrum. if at all possible, don't order it mail order. go to a store and try the ukuleles out. if you don't know how to play a ukulele, it doesn't matter, just strum the ukulele, pluck the strings, and see which one sounds the nicest to you. even better would be to bring a friend who could check out the intonation for you.

if you're going to mail order a uke, i'd recommend a fluke by flea market music. yes, they look funky and yes, they sound a bit like a banjo, but they're well made, almost always have good intonation, are pretty indestructable, don't require an instrument stand, and have a nice bright feel to them.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Hi, Johnie (I recognize you from a different on-line forum) --- When I began learing uke, I was using my girlfriend's concert Kamaka, but I was really nervous because it's a valuable instrument. So I bought a Fluke in it's first year of production, after trying it out in a store and having my girlfriend give a favorable opinion on it.
For a couple years, it was my primary uke (I have two others now), and I still pull it out for some hula shows (outdoors, especially.) As Keith said, they are hardy instruments, with a very good sound (for a less-expensive model); you could also get their soprano-size model, the Flea.
Keep trying different instruments, not only for sound, but to see which size (soprano, concert, tenor) suits you best.
=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

Keone nui
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  6:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keone nui's Homepage  Send Keone nui an AOL message  Send Keone nui a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Jonnie and everyone
My first uke was a Kamaka soprano, but I didn't like the high pitch!! I sold it, and some time later got a Harmony baritone from 1959 (for $60), which was being sold by an old lady who had received it as a gift in the 60s and never payed it. It is solid mahogany, and sounds beautiful. Then recently through almost miraculous circumstances I got a 1976 Kamaka Lili'u 8, 8 string tenor. If you sing, an 8 string is a great one to have because of the full sound.
Now granted a beginner doesn't necessarily want or need to pay the price for this type of instrument, but in a low to medium price range the Lanikai's are very nice, and you can greatly enrich their tone by using Aquila nylgut strings from ukuleleworld. The LU series concert size is especially nice sounding. Lanikai makes an 8 string for a couple of hundred dollars which is also very nice. Also, the guitar maker, Samick, makes a ukulele with a spruce top and nato or mahogany sides which actually sounds quite nice and is reasonably prices. They tend to look more like a guitar, with the white spruce top, but the abalone purfling is a nice touch that gives it an island feel. Whatever you get, I recommend the Aquila nylgut strings, they feel good to play and the sound is sweet. Good luck and let us know what you bought!

Mahalo,
Keone
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  10:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jonnie,

I have about 14 ukes, several vintage ones like a Kumulae, a Martin, a Les Rietfors, several Po Mahinas, which I just love, and several Kamakas. My first one was a two puka Mele that I bought on Maui.

Today I was in a music store eyeballing a Fluke. Why? I am going to Moloka'i for Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp, and wanted something I could bang around. The Flukes do not expand and contract with the humidity. (Plastic back) They do sound somewhat harsh and brassy, but frankly, if I lost a Fluke on the airplane, it wouldn't bother me. Now, if I lost my Dennis Lake's Po Mahina, I would scream. And that's not pretty, let me tell you...

It's really about how you plan to use it. I would buy something affordable, but watch out for the tone. If it sounds crummy, you won't enjoy playing it and you'll put it down. So the trick is to try out each and everyone you can get your hands on. Test drive it. You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes unless you tried them out first. If it talks to you and you find yourself responding to it, get that one. Musical instruments are such personal items.

You can always buy more later.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jonnie,

I own 16 'ukes of varying size and construction. Everything from a cutaway Macaferri Plastic Baritone to a Maybelle banjo uke to a tenor Martin (pre-war), as well as some factory built models. My favorite is my custom Graziano tenor though. I also own both the Fluke and the Flea. The bottom line however, what you can afford and what sounds good to YOU! I would suggest getting as much as you can for your money. The Fluke and the Flea are both good sounding instruments (which STAND on their own merits....heee...heeee.heeeee) even if they do look unorthodox. For beginners, the Lanikai is certainly a pretty good instrument (they do play), I've heard some really nice Bushmans as well (although I have heard some nay sayers).

Well, hope this helps.

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

Jonnie
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  5:54:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all (mahalo nui loa)for your input and patience. I went to the music store over the weekend but the guy I was speaking with previously was at a NAMM show in Anaheim - he was back at the store today, and I made my purchase of the Lehua Tenor (that I was confusing with a Lanikai originally).

It sounds soooooo nice.

He gave me a soft case, and I bought a music book, a tuner and a couple of DVD's.

I'll schedule lessons with him a couple of weeks - I may try to take day lessons which will mean some gyrations with my Manager at work, but I can't think of a better excuse than to learn something that's worth MY time.

The part I left out is that I recently had a B'day and received a generous gift certificate that paid for almost everything - life is good!

Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Jonnie, it sure does sound like life is good when you receive that generous of a gift certificate! Happy birthday and welcome to the Taropatch. We'll be looking for updates on your progress with your new toy...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Beware, Jonnie!
Sure, you'll love your new uke, but then you'll want another, and another, and another...
Just want to let you know what you're in for.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Jesse, you forgot to mention that Jonnie will then want something a little bigger - like a guitar. Then he'll get interested in slack key and have to buy different guitars for all the different tunings. But nevah worry dis guy, he get plenny gift certificates...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Jonnie -

Since you are in San Diego, be sure to get a hold of Keith Marzulllo to learn about all the San Diego County uke happenings, clubs, jam sessions, etc. These guys have more fun than is legal.

cheers,

Mark, who is nowhere near San Diego. Or legal, either
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  2:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Mark, who is nowhere near San Diego. Or legal, either

"Legal" or "lethal," Mark?

Have a good time with this year's AMCamp - I know a number of folks from this area are going, and you'll get a mention in the February issue of the NW Hawai`i Times.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000