Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 If you're new or need Review... Jake etc.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  11:24:22 PM  Show Profile
OK...this is not a New Topic...
there are no new topics.
For Christmas I asked for Jake's DVD.
I was a little surprised at first...but thrilled I got it.

The instructional section is really wonderful.
It's worth it for that alone, as well as his spirit and attitude.

If you have some basic chord knowledge, he takes you into some really grand, powerful, basic techniques, which is mostly doable (is that word from the Spiro Agnew/Brad Quail dictionary?)...if perhaps only at half-impulse speed!
(And anything that you can do well slow, you can do half-fast, and anything you can do half-fast can be sped up a little more.)

His teaching of 1, 2, 3, and the 10 finger strums/technique...plus the chord/melody work ("Yesterday") is wonderful...
It contains good right hand "tricks" and clear, but quick explanations of what's goin on in his left hand... to bring some power to your ACOUSTIC uke playing.
He doesn't dilly-dally...but it's on DVD, so its easy to go back and check out what you miss.

It should not be called "Play Ukulele Loud", more like...
"Play Ukulele Proud and Powerfully."

It soes require some level of basic uke knowledge...so if that's needed...my bets are on Keoki to deliver.

It's interesting to compare Jakes teaching to Bob Brozman's 1999 instructional video...
I didn't use Bob's as much initially...but now I'm assimilating, looking for common threads and differences...

Once I switched my uke to High G for Jake's instructional video, then I tried the Bob's dvd with the pitch/s;-slower speed feature (hit the flat button 2 or 3 times)...so I didn't have to use a capo-- or go lookin' for A, D, F#, B sets of uke strings..it was suddnely more useable!
His style is different...but of interest...
and the old National is funky...but overall... Bob's always got some info...
Right hand approach is not exactly the same...but you can see similarities and differences...nothing is useless...

But if I had to choose just one DVD...I'd go for the Jake...

and, since it was mentioned in another post recently-- even though I haven't seen his uke dvd...Keoki is THE BEST at giving you great essentials...if I were new to uke (or to slack key guitar) his dvd's should be the 101 courses at Uke and Slack Key University...I'd get 'em.

And if you're ever in Hilo, see if you can get a lesson...and of course, go visit the Farmer's Market on Wednesday or Saturday.
And while you're there...check out (or I should say into) the Dolphin Bay Hotel...see "Big Island Revealed."

But those are other topics...
Gotta swim back to my school of fish.
So where have all the Flower Children Gone?
Still seems quiet on the Southwestern Front.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/27/2006 06:43:07 AM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000