Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Jan South Bay Open Mic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Just a reminder that tomorrow (Wed, 1/11/06) is the first "Hot Hawaiian Nights, South Bay," aka Open Mic at Espresso Garden.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:48:16 AM  Show Profile

Na La'au Ki'eki'e will be at the expresso open mic tonite.

Ready to start a new year of friendly sounds.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  8:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Tonight's open mic was ... wow.
I just amazes me how each of us is getting better and better.
I'm gonna work harder at getting the word out more, 'cause these performances deserve to be heard by more and more people.
Add to the music, a very sexy hula by a beautiful wahine. Heaven.
Mahalo nui to each of you, as Fernando would say, you know who you are,
Next time -- second week in Feb -- some folks will be at Keola's, so there should be plenty of time if you want to play extra. Bring friends, etc etc

Edited by - RJS on 01/11/2006 8:06:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  9:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Aaargh!

We were looking forward to coming tonight, but unfortunately one of our cats has been very ill. Thought we'd have to put her down tonight but that may not happen until tomorrow. So eventhough my thoughts were in San Jose, my heart was here. Really missed everyone.

A hui hou, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  11:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Raymond and friends,

Sorry I missed it.

Took Mom to see Herb, Daniel and Keoki at Monterey Live.

See you in February!

Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Kiwini

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  05:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I missed it too... I was feeling a bit under the weather, and I smashed my finger 2 weeks ago, so my ability to practice has been limited. I'll see you in February too.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  07:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Some of the sweetest sounds last night were from small jam sessions before the performances began. Coming early has benefits! I'm so happy we had our first hula dancer at open mic; I was so entranced with her exquisite hula that I forgot to take her photo! The unannounced theme song for the evening was "Morning Dew". Three different arrangements were performed. RJS, loved your arrangement of "Sanoe" - very unique. And thanks so much to those of you who drive an hour or more to share your music!

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  1:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Such terrific performances at last night's open mike;
- The Kams, as always just a pure joy to watch you perform.
- RJS, I too enjoyed your rendition of Sanoe. Well done!
- Jerry, you're looking more and more comfortable up there and sounding just as good.
- Na La'au Ki'eki'e (Lawrence, Cynthia & Joe), you three are becoming such seasoned musicians.
- Dave, such beautiful intonations and chordings coming from your special tuning.
- Doug, the chord voicings on the nylon strings was terrific. And Pono has grown so big!
- Sil, always a pleasure to share a stage with you even though you always throw something new at me on the spur of the moment.
Once again, mahalo nui to the Espresso Gardens for hosting and allowing everyone to share their passion for Hawaiian music.

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  5:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo to all of you for your continued support. The long drive is worth the effort to spend time with such a talented group of musicians. See you all in Feb. J. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  9:46:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow, another awesome night! The performances were so enjoyable and inspiring, with lots of fresh material. Raymond, I agree, the performances deserve to be seen by more people--the price is certainly right. The hula dancer was terrific and added a wonderful dimension to the open mic.

I've been learning a lot from these open mics, and I really appreciate the advice, feedback, and support from everyone, especially as I experiment with playing new songs and tunings, performing with others (what a privilege for me to play with pros like Sil and Art), singing, and even playing the uke.

I'm looking forward to next month. I better start working on new material . . .

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  10:33:49 PM  Show Profile
OK, so who was the fantastic hula dancer?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  11:07:29 AM  Show Profile
I think open mic is something like final exams, but in a good way. To study for finals, I had to not only "know" the stuff, but also know it well enough to explain it to someone else. As Emeril would say, kicked the learning up a notch. I think open mic does that for me - makes me kick it up a notch. Nothing quite like it
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile
The hula dancer was Ms Ashley Nakatani. She's a high school senior at one of the nearby schools in San Jose. Thanks, Ashley for gracing us with your performance of "Uluwehi O Ke Kai". It is sooo neat when a spot hula happens.

Hey Julie, wanna work one in at the next SJ Open Mic we make it to in March? We can work on it at the Alohacamp. Can hardly wait for our visit to Molokai, talk more about camp in the other thread

K-den, Sil
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  09:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sil,

It would be great to see you dance the hula while Julie sings and plays the uke!

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  7:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  5:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here come a bunch of photos from Pulelehua...

Impromptu Jam

Robert & Robert

Raymond

Joe, Pululehua & Lawrence

Lawrence

Pulelehua

Joe

Jerry

Doug

Sil & Doug

Art, Sil & Doug

Sil