Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Accoustic Amp "Buzz"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  2:35:26 PM  Show Profile
I have a buzz problem with my acoustic amp/guitar combo. It has a bridge pickup. Apparently, there is no grounding via the strings. If I touch the metal covering of the jack...the buzz goes away and it is very quiet. Should there be some kind of grounding to the strings? Or, perhaps attach a wire to the jack caseing and me? (just kidding!)

Mike

Aloha, Mike

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  08:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Or, perhaps attach a wire to the jack caseing and me? (just kidding!)

Actually, that is the time-honored method for dealing with guitar grounding problems. Attach one end of the wire to the jack and stick the other end down yer pants.

No, I am not joking.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  09:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Mark, your suggestion has just been made an offense against the International Rules of Warfare by the McCain amendment.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Mark, your suggestion has just been made an offense against the International Rules of Warfare by the McCain amendment.

Yeah- but the "unitary theory" of presidential war powers says that Bush can give anyone the authorization to stick anything they want down anyone's pants at any time without prior notification to any review authority or court whatsoever! (at least this is what Alito was just indicating in his nomination hearings)

So go ahead and stick that thing in there!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/13/2006 12:09:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I suppose it all has to do with who is the sticker and who the stickee...

In any case, beware of sticker shock.

Shouldn't we all be working right now???
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  3:55:12 PM  Show Profile
OK! I've tied off. Hope I don't drop the guitar!

Mike

(and i was under the supposition that I would get a real answer..)

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 01/13/2006 3:56:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  10:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

quote:
Or, perhaps attach a wire to the jack caseing and me? (just kidding!)

Actually, that is the time-honored method for dealing with guitar grounding problems. Attach one end of the wire to the jack and stick the other end down yer pants.

Doesn't this just beg the question of whether you're grounded or well-grounded?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/13/2006 10:57:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  11:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I asked a couple of friends who used to perform a lot -- Mark was not joking - except they put the wire on their belts
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Just a little aside from this subject, (well, yo can't get too much farther off than nMark, now, can you) but i clearly remember the one and only performance of my life when I was fully grounded. I was in a small band in freshman year of high school and we were asked to return to our 8th grade school for some reason or another (guess they could not book Mozart or Beethoven that weekend) and we agreed. I had just gotten my first real guitar; a thin line cut-away single pickup Guild (that i should have had my thingies chopped off for having ever let go) and some cheap amp. Well, we were set up on the gym floor in fromt of the little stage. It was not until they dropped the lights and all was dark that i realized i was not plugged into the socket with my amp. I sort of knew where the socket was from having been at that school for 10 years (what's long and hard on a cowboy? Second grade) so i reached down and behind me from my seat and located it. I was sort of silhouetted against the lit up stage and did not want to get off my chair and disappear from sight so i just fumbled around with the plug, trying to be nonchalant. I couldnt get it so i figured "if i just put my fingers between the prongs and sort of guide it into the sock.." KABAMMMM! up i went like a rocket, propelled by 120 volts. I was the hit of the whole play, and before i even played a lick!!! It's all been downhill from there
I have no idea whats wrong with your rig, Mike, but i know if you try my method, you will not worry about such small things any more for a long time

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you work on dogs, not people (smile)
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. I think I will take it into the shop and have it checked out... I really can't think of a way that a bridge pickup could be grounded. Maybe I need a new pickup.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  2:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:

(and i was under the supposition that I would get a real answer..)

It was a real answer. And it works for the same reason laying your hand on the strings works...

We had to wire up a certain bass player every time he came into the studio. Only way to eliminate the buzz from his rig. We tried everything, including the dangerous stuff.

Ran a wire from his output jack so that it made contact with his, ummm, bare skin area in the vicinity of his belt and the buzz went away.

I've known many. many perfoming musicians who kept some extra wire around for similar emergencies. Some like to use a wrist strap, some clip it to their belts, some run the wire down their pants. Like I said.

So, give it a try. Cheaper 'n a new pick up...

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  5:25:11 PM  Show Profile
I hope John Keawe reads this thread

Kawiks
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  3:19:52 PM  Show Profile
OK, I tried the "the wire down the pants thing...actually worked pretty good. Though, I had a fun time explaining to my wife why I had a wire there.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000