Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Why is it that nobody plays Nationals?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  10:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Thx for welcome - this is a cool Forum! Sittin' here browsing, noodling on 0-18K in taropatch. Saw this squareneck '29 tricone [$2K in buy & sell on Martin Forum]

http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm3.showMessage?topicID=8000.topic

could be a good deal for a steeler.

Tricones are "sweeter" and have more sustain to my ear. I'm thinking someday a vtg round-neck tricone'd be the answer for me, if I can afford one[& keep what I already got... ].

For slack-key playing, I'm primarily Martin-oriented, & I do that Ledward [& others'] trick of heavying up the big E to .059 or .060. Typically heavier-across-the-board Style O-type guages don't actually feel as balanced to me for slack key, but a fatter low note seems to put it back in balance when dropped a step or two.

Btw, roger that, commander, "...if you want to be heard above other guitarists...",National O's a fine way to go to punch through.

My $.02.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  08:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Ralph,
Being a former painter, do you think you could add some spice, island style, to my Regal? It is solid black, sort of boring, except when i play it. Sure would be neat to have something more to look at, though

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Karl,

Unfortunately I'm not much of an artist yet.

My National I painted was painted with a "Hot-Rod" flame motif using masking techniques with tape and frisket. The body, coverplate and tailpiece were sent to me bare in kit form. I prepped and painted it and sent it back to National Resophonic where they put it together and set it up.

I was hoping to develop air-brush techniques, but can only use the air-brush to paint small masked areas and touch-ups. I was working in a paint shop at the time and had access to the equipment and supplies, including paints that can cost up to several thousand dollars a gallon. It didn't take much and you could probably get by with 20-30 dollars worth of the "fancy" stuff. I was thinking of doing a "Cross-roads and Devil" theme, but could not come up with the artwork necessary.

I don't see why your Regal couldn't be painted, since the majority of the sound is "cone generated" and not as much wood driven. I would not paint a regular flat-top the same way since I used many coats of primer and paint. I probably sprayed it 20 or 30 times with sanding in between to bury the flames. That much paint would probably ruin the sound of a true acoustic instrument. I've done one flat-top guitar with a "Pogo" theme on the back, but it's just a wall-hanger.

Your best bet would be to find an air-brush artist to paint the scene and you could clearcoat it yourself. You still have to disassemble or mask all the rest of the guitar.

I'll see if I can take some photos and send your way.

BTW, your guitar project is looking good. I've still got a Martin kit partially assembled in the garage, with no time to finish. I'd rather play Slack Key!!

Ralph
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000