Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Herb, Daniel, Keoki Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  08:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Just saw these guys play at Monterey Live! on Wednesday and I must say that they are outstanding. My wife and I had so much fun watching these guys because they were just having so much fun (and they are drop jaw talented). It was infectiously entertaining! Of course, Keoki was oustanding, playing slack and singing, but the real suprise was Herb Otta, Jr. At least for me, because I have little experience with his music (I'm mainly a slack key kind of guy). But, as a performer, Herb's kind of got this sophisticated jokester instead of him that was really funny, especially his interaction with Daniel Ho, and he was outstanding on the Uke. He played some great traditional songs, but then nailed some songs by Santana and by Stevie Wonder that it was impossible not to groove too. Daniel Ho, of course, was also incredible. With ease, he switched from slack key, to piano jazz/hawaiian, to his custom D6 Ukele, and would sing.....he did it all with incredible skill and execution. On top of that, he seems very modest and was a very friendly guy. Really an amazing guy! All in all, this was a great concert and I would recommend it highly! They have a busy schedule in the bay area, playing Pt.Reyes tonight, Stanford (15th), Santa Cruz (16th), and Berkeley (17th). If you get a chance I would check them out!

Keone

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  07:54:54 AM  Show Profile
I saw the group in San Diego on Jan. 6 and must say it was the most enjoyable concert I've ever been to. I also noticed the most important aspect of the evening was that they were "Having Fun". It really kick started my interest in Hawaiian music as you might have noticed my postings began shortly thereafter.

Don't miss these guys if they're playing near you.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  6:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Of course they were awesome in Torrance as well!! And the workshops in Manhattan Beach were fantastic... now if we can just get them to come back again soon...
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  05:43:18 AM  Show Profile
I saw Daniel, Keoki, and Herb at Stanford on Sunday. It was a great show. These guys really know how to entertain and really showed they know each other well. It was very enjoyable.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000