Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hula Medley
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  06:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Help me please.

Is this song available somewhere? I have a bit of a melody I learned at the CTMS Solstice Festival in 2003 and finally found my tape (poor recording) and low and behold the title was Hula Medley. I learned just enough to make a tune but after hearing Dusty play it on the Taropatch CD, I find that I am missing out on 90% of the tune. I just realized it's a "Medley". What songs make up the medley?

I have not developed enough slack key to put it together on my own at this time, and would like to know if anyone has it transcribed in Tab or even notation. In the meantime I'll be trying to put the various licks/runs etc. together. I know they are all out there, since I've heard most parts before.

I'm planning on playing what I know at tonight's open mic but I will only tell them it's an "excerpt" from Hula Medley. I'm really bummed that what I have learned is so incomplete, but it's pleasant to me. But I won't be able to play it at a Slack Key open mic since everyone knows how it goes.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Ralph

Edited by - Rlowenote on 01/19/2006 07:07:38 AM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  07:47:48 AM  Show Profile
Ralph, you have email.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Dusty -

This is one of those arrangements that everybody learns at one point or the other. I know we both play it -- but I haven't a clue as to where it comes from or what the names of the tunes are.

I think it may be originally from Gabby -- but the way you and I play it, which is quite similar, is totally different from the one recording I heard of his... (video, actually...) Hal Kinnamon may have had a hand in teaching it, but it is likely from somewhere else. Peter?????

So maybe you could share your thoughts with the whole gang?

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile
The History of Sack Key Guitar CD has Gabby playing A selection called Hula Medley contsisting of three songs — Nani Wale Lihue (a love song), Wai’alae (a Mexican song), and Halona (about the beauty of a mountainous region near Lahaina, Maui). It doesn't sound familiar to me. The same CD has another Hula Medley performed by Mike Ho`omanawanui. It resembles the familiar (to us) Hula Medley but more in the style of Chuck Kaimikaua - Keith, Rik and Nancy play it in this style. The liner notes don't list the constituent tunes. George Kuo also recorded this on his Nahenahe - Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar CD under the title Ho`omanawanui.

My version is derivative of Hal Kinnaman's version - which is on his Revery CD. Doug McMaster recorded it on his first CD. His version is also somewhat derivative of Hal's version. Hal plays Salomila as one of the tunes in the medley. I don't know the names of the others. Sometimes I throw in other stuff too, like `Ulupalakua and a sound-alike of one of Ray Kane's standard solos.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  12:06:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the email, Dusty.

Interesting that the name Chuck Kaimikaua surfaces, since Charles Kaimikaua was the instructor at the Solstice Festival that "really" got me started. I spoke to Charles (Chuck?) yesterday regarding the statement he made of a book out shortly. He told me it might be scheduled for this coming summer. He mentioned he currently has some "grid" sheets and CD package available. I'm waiting for email/phone reponse from him in the near future.

I'm glad no Slack Key players heard me (I hope) at last night's open mic. I "BOMBED" my set in my opinion, even though people thought it was nice. If you knew how the tunes went, you would know what I mean. MORE PRACTICE NEEDED!

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  12:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
1). Hula Medley is a generic term or a construct term used by record producers and artists when they don’t know the names of the tunes they have just recorded, there maybe a situation where the covers have got to go to print and the session logs are not accurate so somebody puts in Hula Medley, simple enough right? – I.e., all of the titles on Leonard Kwan’s 1st album were made up on the spur of a moment. 2). Or perhaps the record producers and artists are trying to avoid a royalty payment or two by not giving the actual names of songs which maybe under copyright protection.

Gabby’s Hula Medley on The History of Slack Key Guitar CD has Gabby playing one ballad Nani Wale, and two waltzes. The first waltz is Wai’alae (about the Hind family Home and ranch at Wai`alae and Aina Haina), and the second waltz is Halona, a beautiful valley on Maui especially when you get in the back. To my knowledge these are not hulas.

At this moment I don’t have the History of Slack Key CD or George Kuo’s Nahenahe CD, they’re at home, but I believe that George’s may be an acknowledgement to Mike (?) Ho’omanawanui. I would have to listen to them but I am just not able to do that right now.

PM

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 01/20/2006 12:11:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000