Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Guitars! Whatcha' Playin'?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  3:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Everyone,

I just spent 2 hours at the local guitar shop (that has everything) looking for a guitar in my price range....$250-350. Meanwhile I played everything under the sun that was $1000 and up! I found the guitar I want and nothing else will do! I found a beautiful Martin ($1050) that practically plays itself....I think it's actually my musical soul mate! This guitar just sings! My question is does anyone own an inxepensive guitar that they just love? You know, in the above range of $250-350? Because I've played guitar for a really long time, and I've never really owned a really nice guitar. I think I may save & spring for my soul mate rather than buy an inferior...ahh...acquaintance, if you will.

Mahalo for listening...err...reading

-Danno

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  4:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi danno!

umm, the larrivee parlors are just out of your price range, but they have a lovely sound and play nicely. they aren't as full sounding as a typical sized guitar, of course. i think that you can find a used one in your price range.

it sounds like you're leaning towards that martin, though...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  4:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Keith,

I love that Martin but I posted for suggestions! I am definately now looking into the Larravee! I haven't been shopping long! What do you like about the Larravee?

Mahalo

Danno
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  6:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Howzit Danno,

Have you tried the Seagull line of guitars? For that price range I think they are an excellent investment. They are well built, and sound great (not too loud but warm). I have the mahogany body with solid spruce top model and have had no regrets. I have had various guitar players comment on the qulity and sound for that price range. The side and backs are laminated, which keep down the cost, but you could never tell. I purchased mine from Snider Music out of Canada. Because of the exchange rate it was worth it. I paid $350 which included a case and shipping but had to pay $20 for import tax. They also have a beautiful cedar top version with cherry sides closer to $300 which still includes the case.

Later,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  6:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Danno,

I just peeked at your profile to see where you are. I love slack key on nylon, myself. I use my classical guitar. My good one is in Taro Patch; the other is in standard. I haven't heard one, but a Lucida Artista Picado, a flamenco guitar, is wowing everyone on another forum for its tone, workmanship, and price.

On the same forum the Canadian guitars, Larrivees and Seagulls, are getting steel string raves. Seagulls are considerably less than Larrivees. Sort of half way, maybe a bit more, between your target price and your soulmate's price are the Martin 15 and 16 series. I have a 000-16SGT which is a smallish body, 12-fret neck (the S), satin finish b/s & gloss top (the GT), solid mahogany b/s, solid spruce top, $840+S&H off the net. I like it because it's so similar to my classicals. I think there is a more recent rosewood model also getting good reviews.

You may get much better prices on Seagulls in Canada, but usually you'll have to drive there. One dealer who posts said the company slapped their hands for shipping into the US; I've also heard some Canadian dealers are still doing mail order. Who knows. If you drive, you can try before you buy.

Aloha

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  6:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I can recommend the Larrivee Parlor...I recently bought an all-koa model on eBay and I love it. The standard mahagany models sells on eBay for $325-$350 + shipping ($20-$25 usually). You might want to keep your eyes out for one. Not only does the Parlor sound great, it fits in the overhead bin on planes!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/02/2002 6:55:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  10:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I've read good things about "Simon & Patrick" (steel string) and La Patrie (nylon) guitars. I believe, both are made in Canada and related to Seagull. I've never played either though.

I played a Hohner steel string at a guitar shop in NY once and thought it played and sounded really nice for the price.

Check www.fqms.com for Larrivee parlors if you're interested in that size. Sometimes they get seconds which have minor cosmetic blemishes and get marked down.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  01:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Well, to add more confusion....
1. You might want to look at the new guitars coming from Parecho, Mexico. (Not the kind that are sold for $75.00 and are intended for hanging in cantinas.) There are really some very good guitars coming out of there. I went to a guitar shop in the Mexican area of Chicago on a recent visit and played some wonderful instruments, all under $1,000, a few near the $500 range. A shop in Berkeley Ca is selling one manufacturer's. Sorry I can't remember the name, but I found it originally on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine website links page.
2. I like the sound of a classical (nylon) model. - Acoustic Guitar reviewed 6 or 9 of them a few months ago -- all under or near the 1,000 price.
3. If you're in a big city ... I got two beauties by watching the want adds. Took both to a local luthier to have them checked out before I sealed the deals. At this point I haven't found a new guitar under $1,500 that comes anywhere near the one I got off the want adds for $200.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  09:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo To Everyone your feedback!

You've all been extremely helpful. I'm on vacation this week so I'm going out again today to play some guitars. It sounds as if I need to try out Larrivee and Seagull brands, as well as any of the others mentioned that I can track down! I'm actually about 45 minutes from Canada here in Detroit so I may jump the border for a few hours after I locate some shops via the net!

Mahalo once again to everyone!

Aloha

Danno
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Despite the good prices to be found on-line/mail-order, hands- and ears-on testing remains the best way to choose any guitar, especially a low-priced one. Even decent budget models from Seagull, Larivee, and Taylor can vary quite a lot from instrument to instrument, and the only way to be sure that you're getting a good one is to hand-pick it (so to speak). There are mail-order dealers with very good reputations for pre- and post-sale service who can close the gap (FQMS, for example), but even they can't tell whether a guitar is your soulmate ahead of time.

Just to add to the particular recommendations: I'm not sure how close to your budget limit they come, but the Taylor Big Baby is a suprisingly good (and pretty sturdy-looking) guitar in the that area.

On the third hand, soulmates are worth waiting (and saving) for.
Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Don't buy a cheap guitar. Save for one you will be excited to play.

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  10:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Danno,

Since you're in Detroit, do you ever visit Elderly Instruments in East Lansing? They have a ton a stuff in about every price range, too. Also, I have a friend who is a master luthier and repairs some nice little guitars that he turns into great guitars. Let me know and I'll forward you his address. He's rebuilt my MArtin, my NAtional, set-up my fiddle and co-made my banjo. His work's impeccable and he's as honest as the day in long.

I've played the Larravee Parlor's too and I really like them though I don't know if I'd get tired of respective limitations, etc. FYI, Led Ka'apana will be at the ARk in Ann Arbor later this month.

Aloha,

Pops
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  3:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Aloha and a Good Maui Morning to ALL!

Hmmmmm....Alll these talks about guitars, and what type to buy! All the choices mentioned, are without a doubt the ONE!!!! But as Raymond has mentioned, ther are also non-name brands are being made made in both nylon as well as steel strunged. I have a nylon made by Yamaha. It's a G-231 which is my beach guitar. It has a nice deep soothing sound (as we say in Hawaii.....nahenahe nah-he-nah-he), and the resonance, especially when tuned in wahine-C (drop-C). I got this one for about $250.00.

I also have two other guitars for the cost of FREE! For real! What better price than that! To make a long story short, years ago, I went over to visit my Grand Parents. I'd do it time to time, but, anyway, one day I while I was there, my Grandmother asks me....If I wanted a guitar? She went on and said, nobody plays it anymore, and that it was my Grandfather's. So I tell her, okay Grandma, sure! I'll take it! She goes to their closet, and brings it out. It was covered with a trashbag.

All I could see was the bottom of it. I at that moment I never thought of seing what kind of guitar it was. I just kept it in the bag. Finally when we got home, I decide to do just that. I removed the trashbag very carefully. I began checking it out starting from the bottom. It was very used.....scratches from the guitar-pick that was used to play it. When I reached the top of the tunning-head, My eyes got big, and my jaws dropped in disbelief. I was given a very old Martin Guitar. It was an 0-21 model that goes back to around 1944-47. So I checked-out the model number on the Martin Guitar website. It was made in 1947.

Some long story short huh? Anyway, I had to take a Qualified Martin Guitar Repairman. The tunners was frozen, bridgework needed to be done, the ivory (or bone) that was used for the tunning keys was very old as well as the knot on the top and the bridge. Steven Grimes of Grimes Guitars (grimesguitars.com) He was the only qualified Martin Guitar Repairman at the time as well as Luthier of his Guitars. At the time I was talking to him, a collector walked-in, saw my Guitar and offers me $3,500! can you believe that? But I knew what I had, and I kindly refused his offer.

Overall, it cost me about $320.00 for him to bring my Martin with it's original hardware back to life......It was well worth the money I had to pay. I love my Martin and will take with me to my grave. It's very special to me, and it was my Father's Father's guitar.

Are we bored yet? Ha! ha! ha! I sure hope not! Anyway, I also have the other one that was given to me. It's a 12-string Guitar, a Lonestar Model Victoria, "made in Mexico Raymond"! It sorta reminds me of a small-sized Mariachi (spelling) guitar. It's got a single cut-away, very short and wide neck, but sounds really nice. On the 12th of this month i'll be taking it with me to our 2nd Saturday "Kiho'alu Jam Session" in Waihee Valley, Maui at the Protestant Churchyard with West Maui Mountain valley as our backdrop.

My other two guitars are the "Baby Taylor" (my traveling guitar) I got it for under $300.00 dollars, and cost about $300 plus dollars brand new (Hawaii Prices) They had a special on all of their guitars at Bounty Music. Finally.....finally! I'm getting close to the end of my LONG STORY SHORT. ha! ha! ha! ha! I'm sorry....didn't mean to carry-on this way.

Okay, my last guitar is a Takamine! I had my eyes on this guitar when it first appeared at Bounty Music as a demo for various sound-effects. Like my martin, this one had that bright crispy sound that any Guitarists would appreciate. It also had a pick-up! A thin-line one but very good pick-up. When plugged-in.....it would sound awesome!

So what it comes down to Manakapu, if you can buy anyone of the really Big names in Guitars, go for it! But if your range is $250-$300 no worries....there's that one guitar out there that is for you. My best advice to you would be, you don't nessassarily need to have the top brand for your coice of preference. It could be a Seagull, Big Baby Taylor, or even a Yamaha like mine! Choose the one that appeals to what sounds good to you. Having one that is also comfortable to your fingers is just as important as the sound you like. You wouldn't want your fingers begin to cramp because the action is too hard. You want to keep the music flowing for a long time without discomfort.

O-ri-dee den! I think I've bored all of you long enough.....nah nah nah. This is such a wonderful way to keep in touch with all the different types of musicians all around the world. And it is just as terrific to be able to jamm with guitar players of Kiho'alu like, Kawika, Ohana Brown, Andy, Sarah, Reid, Keith, Don Kaulia, Paul, Hal, Ed Kalama just to name a few. But someday I hope to get together again with Andy and the rest of you from TaroPatch.net. I really enjoyed the moments we all had to share here in Maui, Hawaii. I Love You All Very Much....Let us continue together and keep "Kiho'alu alive and well.

What better way to Perpetuate the "Art of Hawaiian Slack Key". Wether you've been playing it awhile or just starting to learn....always remember JUS'PRESS!!!!!! A Hui Hou! Malama Pono......

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  7:46:50 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Everyone,

Mahalo Nui to all for your helpful comments! I've played many a guitar this week! I went around on my vacation and sat with Seagull, Laravee, Martin, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Taylor, and many more. I sat with each for about 20 minutes, settling down, relaxing with it; a few people asked what tuning I was using (I made sure to say, Taro Patch, C Wahine, Mauna Loa, etc...without explanation....they looked at me like I had 2 heads ...this is Detroit!) Anyway, the guitar I chose that suited me best (cost as well as feel) was an Ibanez AW200NT! I loved it! Spruce top, Grover tuners, Rosewood fingerboard, and most of all great tone!!! I agree with Pauline that, for the most part, I like Slack Key on a Nylon string as opposed to a steel string, but I'm also planning to learn Lap Steel on this guitar and it has a great sound for that, and some players(like Led), and some songs, I love on steel string! I can't wait to pick up my new guitar.

Mahalo once again to everyone for your help!!!

Aloha

-Danno

P.S. Slack Key BillI loved your story about your great grandfathers Martin! I didn't get anything from my Great Grandfather but twisted secondhand stories!!!

And Pops...I hope to see you at The Ark on the 18th!!! I'll be there!
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  8:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

Bill, thanks for the story. It's good to hear an instrument stays in a family rather than becoming a flea-market find. I know I still have my grandfathers harmonicas, and they remind me that there has been music in my ohana, and that it's carried forward with me.
Maybe sometime you could post a soundfile for us to hear that old Martin!

Ross in Kaleponi
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  05:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Ross!

There are so many great topics here, that I just now saw your reply to mine. I would love to post a sound-file of my Great Grandfather's Martin.....When I figure how to do it. I have done them before, and would send them via e-mail addresses as an attached sound-recording file. But I never figured how to do it to send to websites such as TaroPatch.net.Hmmmmmm.... I was playing the Martin all day today in our living-room. It still sounds really sweet! Anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed my story. I really enjoyed everyone elses too! (elses?) Take care! God Bless to you and your Ohana! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000