Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Harp Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  4:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Ever seen one of these?

http://www.harpguitar.com/

I'm sure some of you have heard of him (Stephen Bennet, and no, its not slack key)...but wow, what a sound!..Go to the samples page and play the harp mp3.

Mike

Aloha, Mike

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  5:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
We've talked about harp instruments before but no one here admits to playing one. I have a friend here in Idaho who plays open tunings on one. The harp guitar craze goes back 100 years or so, and various luthiers are still making them, but they are a hybrid and an anomaly in the guitar world.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  6:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Did you listen to that harp mp3? I admit, there is something almost sureal about those things...I wish I could put my finger on it (no pun intended, really)

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  03:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Sarah and I have heard (and seen) Stephen Bennet twice in performance with Tommy Emmanuel. He is a fantastic guitarist, not least of all with his harp guitar. Muriel Anderson also plays one in concert and recording. Watching him, it is obvious that you have to be very skilled, and understand your music very deeply, in order to play one well with good results. Bennet used the harp strings as sort of occasional "accents" or expansions of the music he was playing on the standard neck. Of course, the tuning of the harp strings counts for a lot, since they are not fretted. In addition, not every piece is suitable for the extra open (low) notes - nobody plays even the majority of their pieces with one.

Having a harp guitar built (or buying one) is a very dicey proposition; I know two people who had one built for them and they were both defective in design and execution. They can also be very expensive, even if successfully done.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sellars
Aloha

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:38:16 PM  Show Profile
how funny, I was just planning on starting a thread on Harp guitars. It must be really cool to play slack key and having all these bass strings to choose from!

I've always been crazy but that's kept me from going insane (W.J.)

Playing: Ukulele, Slack key guitar, Mandolin
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  05:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I agree, Sellars, that the bass strings offer more options for bass notes. But the bass strings are far enough away that you have to pull your picking hand out of positions to pluck them, so it's a real challenge to play smoothly. George Winston plays a 7-string which is a standard six-string with a 7th bass string at the top, but off the fretboard. That allows him to play in Taropatch with a low C for the IV chord.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

daynwarren
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit daynwarren's Homepage
Hapakid, I have seen pics of George Winston's 7 String and have always wondered what brand of guitar it was and if it was custom built or did he modify it for the 7th string. I know that Ibanez and Dean have both made 7 string acoustics that could accomplish the same thing.

I love Hawaiian music and Treehouses!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  11:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I have played a 7-string acoustic guitar (7th string on the fretboard) and a 5-string bass. Adding strings just screws me up!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  12:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I have an old video of a performance by Michael Hedges at Wolftrap where he begins his set with a harp guitar. I will watch it again and see how he worked the bass strings.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi all...posted a note a little while back myself wonderin if anybody tried slack key on a harp guitar...picked up a nice CD called
"Beyond six strings"....great stuff...check it out at harpguitars.net
also check out tenstringguitar.com ALOHA...Ken.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000