Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Looking for No Ka Po
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  02:15:10 AM  Show Profile
I have just started learning Slack Key and I began with a Keola's DVD two months ago. More books & CD's are on the way (Ozzi Kotani and another) but I really like one of keola's online songs "No Ka Po". His site has not been taking orders for a long time. What happened I wonder? If it were me, I would keep the old going untill the new site was working...but that's just me. Does anyone know how I can get the tab for No Ka Po?
Thanks
Bob

Bob

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  02:38:06 AM  Show Profile
correction: the Name is "Na Ka Po"

Bob
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  05:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Keola usually hands this one out at paid workshops, camps, or as you know, over his website. If you email him and get permission for a copy, I can make one for you.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  07:06:26 AM  Show Profile
I will try to contact him...but not sure I will find his email. Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

Keola usually hands this one out at paid workshops, camps, or as you know, over his website. If you email him and get permission for a copy, I can make one for you.

Dave

Bob
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  09:00:32 AM  Show Profile
Bob, try the "Management Contacts" on his website. You could also call Starscape Music and leave a message with the secretary. With his mother's recent illness and upcoming camp, he's probably pretty busy,

Good Luck

Dave

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  04:05:11 AM  Show Profile
I called Homespun and couldn't get more than they would pass along a letter (mailed and pre-stamped) if I sent it to them. I think I am stuck on this. BTW, I have never heard of a Santa Cruz guitar. Right now I am looking very hard for a reasonably priced 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 nut steel string acoustic. Seems like I need 6k for a custom luthier,or have to order a Martin w/optional neck. I am going to look at an Eastman(1 3/4 German Archtop)Saturday.
Thanks again for your responses. I will probably have to wait for Keola to start up again...meanwhile, I am looking to other artists.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  07:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Haole Boy,

I didn't know Eastman had German Archtops. I have played a couple of Eastman Archtops made in China. Excellent value as far as Archtops go. It was just before I became addicted to slack key. My friend whose archtop I played says his Eastman beats his Heritages and most other guitars valued at $5000+ . And they sound good acoustically!!

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  07:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Might be mistaken about where it is made, they come from china, germany, and eastern Europe. They sell for $2200-3500. This company has made violins since 1920 and is now also making Archtop guitars. I noticed your guitars are koa w/ spruce top. I agree with that combination. All koa is very beautiful but doesn't seem to match the sound of spruce w/koa sides and back.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  11:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

I called Homespun and couldn't get more than they would pass along a letter (mailed and pre-stamped) if I sent it to them. I think I am stuck on this.

So send a letter...how is this "stuck"?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile
First of all, don't take any disrespect from this reply, I am just frustrated. Yes, you are right. I am not stuck. I can send snail-mail and hope that it gets relayed to him in two weeks and maybe he will take the time to reply. He could give me a way to order, or he could suggest waiting for his web site to open again. So even though you may be right, it is still very discouraging. He should leave updates on his site about his delayed opening. I will try to learn it by ear first. The only good thing about this web delay is that I have dicovered Kotani ("To Honor a Queen").
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:32:22 PM  Show Profile
I tried "No Ka Po" this afternoon and found that I can learn this song by ear. If I keep after it, I will be playing it complete this weekend. I don't need the tab after all. It is a beautiful song but it is also easy to figure out. Thanks for those that tried to help.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Bob - It is good you learned the song by yourself. Much more learning that way than just getting a tab. Now...This may be out of place, but my experience with Hawaiian people and others involved in Hawaiian music is that they are very generous and usually very willing to help -- however, you sometimes have to remember that they are not our personal servants. They have their lives, too, and music is only a part of life, sometimes a small one part. Then there is the thing that island style is often much more laid back than mainland style. I'm an old Chicago boy, though I've lived in CA for a long time, so I cringe at the following but, here goes ... keep aloha in your heart and you'll find it in the world.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  6:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No disrespect taken. Sounds to me like you ended up learning more as a result of the circumstances than you would have from receiving the tab...not bad!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  05:20:17 AM  Show Profile
To RJS,
Look at my Bio man, I was born and raised in Hawaii...I know a lot about Hawaiian people, both sides...good and bad. Also Japanese Samoan and Philipino. I went to a C&H plantation hospital for health care, dodged turnatoo trucks on the cane roads, ate rice sushi, dried cuttle fish, lihi moi, KimChi and malasada's since I was knee high to a menahune. I surfed more places than I can mention. My sister is hapa haole, her father died but was a hawaiian. He ate raw fish, drank Primo and caught fish with a throw net. My sisters kids went to Kamehameha. I've been gone a long time so, yeah, I can always be brought up-to-date but I don't think there is anything about the Hawaiian People that I don't already know. Lastly, I have never wanted any Hawaiian to be my servant.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  06:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi HB,
I don't think Raymond meant "servant" in the sense of being an employee, and we get A LOT of people on this forum who are ticked off that Ray Kane or Richard Ho'opi'i won't answer an email (Neither have a computer) or their favorite song tab isn't posted for free somewhere. Some people log in here and want to know where they can download Hawaiian music for free.
All of us, at one time or another, are guilty of impatience in the internet age when it seems everything we could possibly want is at our fingertips.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  08:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
RE: Keola's on-line store, maybe I can shed a little light onto this.

Keola's mom, Aunty Nona, has been very ill and has spent the past two months in the hospital. Keola, Moana and the familiy has spent most of that time on Oahu helping with her care. The familiy's decision has been to focus 110% on her care, which has meant a lot of other things have had to be let go. The online store is one of those things.

Although I am very close to the Beamer family, I have been largely out of the loop, too. So I can understand the frustration you are feeling. All I can offer is this: by learning the piece by ear, you will truly learn to play slack key. As has been said many times on this forum, it's only when you get the music off the page and into your heart that it comes alive. Sometimes we do have to take the blessings that come from adversity.

Keola's posted an update about Aunty Nona on his website: http://www.kbeamer.com/

For the record, I am not Keola's agent, manager, or anything like that. We are friends and partners in the Aloha Camp. It's not usually my style to commment on the Beamer family's life, but I thought this might be one of those times when a little insight might be useful.

Now get out that guitar and start playing!

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000