Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Led Kaapana Performance & Workshop In Tacoma, WA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  09:10:55 AM  Show Profile
I had the pleasure of attending Led Kaapana's recent performance and workshop in Tacoma, Washington. His performance on Friday evening was great, but his workshop on Saturday was even better. What made the workshop special is that it provided the opportunity to get a brief glimpse of what type of person Led Kaapana is - and what a person he is. He was hilarious and willing to share what he could in the two hours that were available. I think Led Kaapana is one of the best examples of a person playing with "Aloha." I do not think it is possible to separate him from the music, I think it's just an extension of himself. Led Kaapana struck me as a very warm and friendly person. It was a pleasure just to be around him.

Led asked to play my guitar. My guitar has never sounded so good, and likely will never sound that good again, unles, of course, Led plays it. When it comes time to change that set of strings, I'm saving them as souvenirs. It was a great experience and one I'll never forget.

All Thumbs

I have learned that there lies dormant in the souls of all men a penchant for some particular musical instrument, and an unsuspected yearning to learn to play on it, that are bound to wake up and demand attention some day. Therefore, you who rail at such as disturb your slumbers with unsuccessful and demoralizing attempts to subjugate a fiddle, beware! for sooner or later your own time will come.

Mark Twain

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile
A couple of years ago, I missed Led's concert but not his workshop. You described him to a T. When he plays, the guitar becomes a part of him, a surgical implant. And he giggled at the end of each piece.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile
dang
lost the post

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:32:32 PM  Show Profile
I was there too. The guy with the six string slack key ukulele.

He was great. Wheeled around the room to play everyone's guitar or ukulele and make sure they were all in the right tuning and see how the instrument sounded -- even chatted with each attendee for a few minutes while he did it. Then, when he was teaching the song he wheeled around the room to make sure everyone was getting it. He also was able to quickly size up the talent pool for when we all joined in for some kanikapila. You have some real talent up there in the PACNORWEST!

His laugh still makes me chuckle -- best when he plays a lick that makes everyone go -- WHAT WAS THAT? His (Heee heeee . . ) is as if to say, "I DON'T KNOW EITHER, IT JUST DOES THAT!"

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  2:25:29 PM  Show Profile
I agree wholeheartedly with everyone. I went to both the concert and the workshop. I have seen Led before, in fact two years ago in the same theater, but he was in terrific form that night. He's a real comedian too and his laugh is infectious and contagious. He's obviously enjoying what he's doing. I really enjoyed seeing the taropatchers I had met before at other events and meeting new ones as well. I always like putting a face together with the names I see here online.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  06:42:20 AM  Show Profile
Led's workshop was GREAT! Good fun! The whole day was as good as a vacation as it gets. I rode with Tiko Ka'eo and Bob aka All Thumbs, down to the workshop. Music in the car, breakfast at Kaua'i Family Restaurant, the workshop and the kanikapila at Neeej's. I gotta do more stuff like that!
I like the way that Led showed us the tune, then diverted the workshop to jamming and having fun. At the end, he went back to the tune and even the beginners had it nailed. Stealth instruction!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000