Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Next "Kani @ Nani's" Donut Shop in Hayward - 2/23
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  7:24:20 PM  Show Profile
... so that's Thursday Evening starting at 6:30 pm. Please select 3-5 da kine island style songs, could be from "He Mele Aloha" songbook or songs you have charted out, that you are ready to share. The essence of the kanikapila is to play songs together, share what you know, learn from others. It would be nice if you can respond to this thread with a heads up on what you want to play-- like I want to do some Ka'au Crater Boys songs (so I'll have the charts ready to share). Also, consider buying a donut, coffee, ice cream or other snack. -- it will put a smile on Nani's face.

Laters, Sil

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  7:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Sil!

What Ka'au Crater Boys songs will you be doing? I'm just curious which ones you'll be trying out at your kanikapila because ours is coming up in a couple of weeks up here in Eugene, OR. I'm always looking for tunes that are good ones to play in a group situation. I saw the list on another thread about the Top Songs To Know, but would like to know how well songs are received, played, and sung in these particular situations. I really like Mike's (Mika'ele's) concept of his sheets that incorporate both guitar and uke arrangments, too.

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

rodv18
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile
Howzit...i'll be coming from Carmel Valley and if anyone wants to carpool..up and back...lemme know...it'll be fun...
rod
Go to Top of Page

mkuebler
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  08:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Finally got into Taropatch! Just want to send out a note to say thanks to all for sharing the last Kanikapila at Nani's with me. It was great fun. Glad to hear that another has been scheduled. I will definitely be there.
mahalo to Art and Nani for being such gracious hosts, and to all the muscians. Looking forward to hooking up with many of you.
Off to Maui next week...hoping to kani over there...if you know anyone in Maui who plays and might want to kani...let me know.
M
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  4:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Braddah Mike, just check out the "Waihe'e is a go" thread. The Kevin Brown Ohana does the kanikapila thing on Saturdays. I'll be at AlohaMusic Camp 2/5 thru 2/11. Back on Maui 2/11 til 2/14. We'll try and hook up. Got your cell # with me.

Laters, Sil
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  8:25:27 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Mike,

Welcome to Taropatch! It was great meeting you at Nani's. I want to second what Sil said about going to the Waihe'e kanikapila. Although I haven't had the opportunity to sit in yet (when I'm on Maui, I'm usually at Uncle George's workshop), I know a few of the regulars, and they're really good players and full of aloha. You'll have a fun time.

When you get back, we'll have to jam here in the East Bay. Have a great time on Maui.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  8:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Bruddah Rod,

We missed you at Nani's. Glad you're planning to come to the next one--I know it's a haul from Carmel Valley. Looking forward to hearing that Waianae sound! Oh, and if you're coming to next week's open mic in San Jose, don't forget to bring your guitar.

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  05:29:09 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Maggie,

So far I'm gonna try "Guava Jelly" and "Opihi Man". There are certain to be others but the chording in Taropatch tuning is not too difficult. We'll see what happens. When is your Kani in Eugene happening?

Sil
Go to Top of Page

rodv18
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile
eh PearlCityBoy, i'm thinking about it...we'll see...i'll let you know...waihe'e on maui is great
braddah Kevin, Sheldon will guarantee a great, fun time....you won't want to leave...oh...and the ono grinds they have there...broke da mouth..ha..you gotta go to believe...
aloha,
rod
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Just a reminder that the kani is still on. See you there @ 20942 Mission Blvd, Hayward. Remember to bring something to sit on, music to share. Also, but your donut early, before Art packs 'em away.

A Hui Hou, Sil
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  05:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Opps!! I meant "buy" your donut, although it is an appropriate slip. Most donuts I eat end up on my okole.

Sil
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  10:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sil for organizing all that...it was good fun last night.

Nice to see all those folks I knew and nice to meet the rest of you as well. Looking forward to next month.

Aloha, Peter
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  10:47:37 AM  Show Profile

Sorry we could not make it last night!

I was not feeling well and went to the doctor and just rested the rest of the day.

Will try to make it next time.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  06:07:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for another wonderful evening. So many faces last Thursday nite, I think I'll have a sign up sheet next time so I can thank each of you personally. Got to mention we were honored to have Kainani of AHA (thanks for the spot hula w/Uluwehi O Ke Kai) and Uncle Charlie St. Germain (da paani's w/ Hawaiian Steel - so awesome!!!). ...and all who traveled from so far (Rod n Kawini, Jerry and da Vacaville Kupuna Wahines).

K-den, how's March 30th sound for our next get-together? Will start another thread as the date approaches.

A Hui Hou, Sil
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  09:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Noooooo.......thank you!!! Mahalo to Art and Nani for hosting and to Sil for organizing. I simply had a blast. So many friends, so many new faces, so much talent, so much fun, so much Aloha , but not enough time.

Mahalo again!
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 02/25/2006 09:11:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  8:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Another inspiring evening of music. The combination of the ukes and guitars (standard, slack and steel) was terrific. Once again, the sight of seeing just about all 19 of us singing in unison at various times was wonderful. For those that might be wondering, the participants were: Sil, Uncle Charlie St. Germaine, Rod (RodV18), Steve (Kiwini), Kainani, Chris, Lynn & Iggy (Academy of Hawaiian Arts), Dave (BigWave), Shaun & Michael (Na Hula `O Moku`aina), and Jerry, Diana, Auntie Ella & Toni (the Vacaville Kupunas), Doug (PearlCityBoy), Joe (minus Cynthia & Lawrence) and Peter (Hui Hula `O Na Pu`u I Ka Noe). Can't wait for March 30th...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"

Edited by - ArtSap on 02/27/2006 09:31:57 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000