Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele Shops in Kauai & Maui?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  5:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, fellow Taropatchers!
My wife and I will be in Kauai and Maui in late April/early May. I am a fledgling slack key player, and am looking to launch my ukulele career.

I have played around a little bit on soprano ukes, with "high G" tuning, a few times. I really think that I am a better candidate for a tenor with "low G" tuning. I would like to learn and develop strumming and picking styles.

Fortunately, I am in the position to purchase a nice instrument, and really don't want to buy something that I will be replacing in a few years. Also, I am debating traditional versus pineapple design.

If anyone can recommend some reputable shops to check out, your suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, any input on traditional versus pineapple design would be helpful. I am very fond of the look of koa instruments, and am leaning in that direction at this time. Your comments on various woods would also be appreciated.

Thank you for any advice and/or suggestions!
Aloha,
Froppe

Boost
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  02:32:38 AM  Show Profile
Kauai: Try check out Scotty's Music in Kalaheo (ph. 322-0090)... Scotty has alot of Ukes there, ones I saw were Kamaka, G-String, Island Ukulele, etc.. When I went back to visit family back in Mar. I walked outta Scotty's with a choice G-String Tenor 6-string, he gave me a deal I couldnt resist .. and I had to have at least one six'er in my arsenal
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  04:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Froppe:

While on Maui, check out the Mele shop in Kahului. The folks are real friendly and helpful. Here's where they're located:

Mele Ukulele
1750 Kaahumanu Ave
Wailuku, HI 96793-2439
(808) 244-3938

They also have a website (meleukulele.com)

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  05:06:18 AM  Show Profile
There is also Bounty Music in Kahului, Maui and on Kaua`i, near Kapa`a.
http://www.bountymusic.com/

Also on Kaua`i, in Kapa`a, Larry's Music has reopened as a clothing and jewelry boutique that sells `ukuleles and guitars, as well.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000