Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Controversy for Na Hoku Hanohano Awards?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Anyone been following what's got people stirred up, regarding this year's Hokus? Apparently, HARA's Board of Directors just established a new policy that prevents performers who are not residents of the State of Hawai`i from being eligible for the Awards.

They recently rejected the latest CD by Manny K. Fernandez (who is a true musical treasure, of Hawaiian blood, who chose to retire to Aloha, Oregon) from "Album of the Year" and "Male Vocalist of the Year" consideration, due to this rule. There's a LOT of angry buzz going on about this new requirement.

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Ooh, not good! Something like this will definitely cause debates and hard feelings. If they were planning on introducing a new policy such as this you'd think they would present it for consideration first rather than establishing it outright. Is Daniel Ho still residing in Southern California? If so, he could be another affected...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile
"Anyone been following what's got people stirred up, regarding this year's Hokus? Apparently, HARA's Board of Directors just established a new policy that prevents performers who are not residents of the State of Hawai`i from being eligible for the Awards."

No, that's incorrect. The policy has always been -- as is clearly stated on the form required for Na Hoku Hanohano Award consideration -- that non-residents may not be considered for the General, Technical and Ajudicated Categories (engineer, producer, album of the year, haku mele, etc.).

Non-residents are still allowed for consideration in the various genre -- island contemporary, Hawaiian, etc.

Manny's CD was _not_ "rejected" -- but as a non-resident, it is not eligible for producer, album of the year, or male artist of the year...still eligible for "Hawaiian album".

The only thing "new" this year, is that those who are suspected of being non-island residents must present proof of residency. In the past, the word of the musician could be accepted as true -- but too many incidences of blatant lying in the past few years, required the implementation of a more rigorous procedure.

Don't blame HARA...blame the musicians who thought they could bend the established rules.

BTW, I'm on the Awards Selection Committee -- the group which goes through _every_ submission to ensure that all official criteria are met.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  1:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Auntie maria,
Thank you for clearing that up. I'll order the Peter Medeiros CD on-line.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  08:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Thanks, Auntie Maria --- I had written e-mail to HARA requesting clarification of this policy, prior to posting my question here - but no one has responded.

As a HARA member myself, I have long been disappointed in the organization's operation (it wasn't that long ago that I got a postcard notification of a general membership meeting only ONE DAY PRIOR to the meeting; when I asked for explanation, I was greeted with silence.) It seems the only time I get communication from HARA, outside of Hoku time, is when it's time for me to send in more dues.

Since you are there in the Islands, and can attend meetings more regularly, please express my concern that HARA fails miserably in communicating with its Mainland members. So it is understandable that Mainland members are now upset that HARA has chosen to enforce a rule that they were sloppy in enforcing before --- it makes those of us not in the Islands (remember, you were once amongst us) feel that our contributions are unwelcome, unless they are financial.

HARA needs to take a long, hard look at "the established rules" - perhaps they are flawed, perhaps not, but they clearly need further discussion, AND said discussion needs to be inclusive of non-Island residents who are unquestionably supportive of the music of Hawai`i.

Respectfully,
Gregg Porter, Seattle WA
= Hawaiian music programmer, Muzak
= Hawaiian radio show host, Hawai`i Radio Connection, KBCS-FM & KXPA-AM
= Music writer/reviewer, Northwest Hawai`i Times
= Musician, Halau Hula O Napualani
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  09:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Gregg,
I am a HARA voting member, too, live on mainland, and I have mixed feelings about the organization. Bottom line, though I don't think we are discriminated against out here. My Island based friends tell me they don't get much better communication out there. They do get the postcards sooner cause mail takes longer to get to us.

My thinking right now goes like this: HARA is a trade association to promote Hawaiian music, but primarily Island based. That seems to be the way most of the members want it, or there would be a more vocal push to change things.
I'm priveledged to have done a CD on which George Kahumoku joined me, got a good review in Honolulu Advertiser, and sometimes sells on my gigs. Is HARA going to help me sell albums, which is what HARA is really about, no. If I lived in the Islands? Maybe, but that's because I could try to get my name out better by playing there more. Selling albums is really about getting your name out there, isn't it?

I used to get upset about that, but then I asked myself, would it make a real difference to me if HARA did a more active outreach to mainland? Answer: not really. Maybe to someone like Troy who has an established name. So I would support it for that. But I don't think it's really worth the effort.

Personally, I would like to see HARA more involved in music education of Hawaiian kids. I know there are a few things here or there, but it really is hit or miss. The only musician who is regullarly working with kids, I mean weekly, long term commitment, is Ozzie Kotani. And Ozzie can tell you how much of a difference that can make. I know of no better way to get self esteem and pride of "He Hawai'i Au" than geting into the rich tradition of mele and hula. Now that would be a really worthwhile thing for HARA to put time and $$ into. And it would actually fit in with the "trade association" model - 'cause some of those kids will grow up to become performers, and most of the others will grow up with a taste for Hawaiian music.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Quoting RJS:
"Personally, I would like to see HARA more involved in music education of Hawaiian kids. I know there are a few things here or there, but it really is hit or miss. The only musician who is regullarly working with kids, I mean weekly, long term commitment, is Ozzie Kotani."

While I applaud Ozzie's efforts, he is just one of _many_ musicians and organizations here in Hawai`i who offer free music instruction for keiki -- especially on O`ahu. There's actually a program which goes into all of the public schools on O`ahu just to teach music -- founded, I believe, by the wonderful Noelani Mahoe back in the 1960s, in Waimanalo. The outer islands have music in the classrooms, but to a lesser degree (probably because there are fewer musicians). These programs are administered by DOE, SFCA, and other organizations. HARA carries this a step further, with the annual granting of two $3,000 scholarships to college students interested in Hawaiian music, the music of Hawai`i, or Hawaiian poetry.

Quoting from the HARA website:
"The Academy is a nonprofit organization formed in 1982 to stimulate interest in the local recording industry and the music of Hawai'i."
HARA works not to promote individual musicians, but to promote the _music_ of Hawai`i -- all of it, not just Hawaiian music.

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile
After posting my thoughts about this issue on Keola Doherty's website, and reading Auntie Maria's comments back then, somewhat similar to those above, I contacted 15 educators and musicians that I know who live in Hawaii, most of them on Oahu. I received the same response for every person I spoke with or corresponded with -- the music programs in most schools are very haphazard, nothing consistent. Name performs may show up once in a while but no one was able to tell me of any ongoing, consistent effort to get known performers working with the kids.
My philosophy is still that this is one of the most effective ways to both develop self esteem and to foster music. In a relatively small community like Hawaii, the presence of established and known performers can be especially important. Maybe this isn't part of HARA's charter. My opinion then is, too bad. Maybe some of this is taken care of by halau and kumu hula, I don't have information about that.

If anyone knows of ongoing music education along the model I wrote of, specifically, connecting established and known entertainers with children on a sustained basis, I would really like to know about the programs. In the past I and my wife have financially supported such programs, and I could see doing so again, especially with our interest in Hawaiian music. Contact information would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Just to clarify - I don't mean my rant to be in any way, shape or form, an attack on Auntie Maria; she is a goddess in my book, for all the work she has done and continues to do for Hawaiian music, clearly motivated by love. She gives a great perspective from the inside of HARA, and I trust that she will relay our comments accurately. =Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  10:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
This is a real good thread. I am a long time HARA, ASCAP and GRAMMY Member. Like any organization, directors and members need to regroup, revise and reorganize. HARA is at the helm of Hawaii's music; Hawaii Music Awards is another component and soon other organizations will join our industry. HARA will need to look at the whole picture as the world will now get involved. Hawaiian Music was once popular 100 years ago; so we know we have history but we had nobody at the helm until the 1980's when HARA was established. I would hate to see a mainland entity take over. As for me, I do my gigs on the weekends, played slack key for 20plus years and know what the visitor's want to hear. It's amazing to learn that the 16,000 voting members of the GRAMMY AWARDs picked a slack key recording again. Maybe this has a meaning. All I know is that until the 1970's, slack key was kept secret and never performed publicly as it is today. My own uncles and aunts never shared their tunings. Maybe its time and I am pleased with the outcome.
Aloha, Donald

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  3:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Quoting Don Kaulia:
"HARA is at the helm of Hawaii's music; Hawaii Music Awards is another component"
Hawaii's Na Hoku Hanohano Awards are like the Grammy's. To vote in the Grammy's, one must be a member of NARAS; to vote in the Hoku Awards, one must be a regular or associate member of HARA. Both award programs honor the achievements of excellence in recording arts -- as selected by their peers in the industry.

The Hawai`i Music Awards are the like the music categories in the mainland's Peoples Choice Awards -- every recording and every musician from the prior year, can be voted on by anyone who chooses to cast a vote.

"It's amazing to learn that the 16,000 voting members of the GRAMMY AWARDs picked a slack key recording again."
Voting in the Hawaiian Music category of the Grammys is done only by those within the Folk Music category of the Grammys...fewer than 1,000 people this year, most of whom know little or nothing about Hawaiian music. Arrrggghhh!

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  4:58:46 PM  Show Profile
It is frustrating that much of the voting is done by people who really don't know much about Hawaiian music. Name recognition becomes a big thing.
This year there were sound clips available for the "major" categories on a Yahoo sponsored site. (I think it was Yahoo, but I'm too lazy to go back and check.) It might be worthwhile for the HARA board to look into linking to that site next year, at least for finalists. Even if not connected with the "official" site, a website of clips can still be effective because Grammy admin occasionally sends out emails notifying membership of things like those clips, and therefore a link could go out to all members. Not sure if this makes as much sense reading as it does to me writing it.
The point being that the internet is a way to educate Grammy membership and HARA is the trade group dedicated to advancing the cause of music in Hawaii, including Hawaiian music.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  10:28:00 AM  Show Profile
I had a second thought about my previous post and decided to write a second post to clarify - that note was a reaction to Auntie Marie's comment about few people voting and those, at that, not knowing much about Hawaiian music. I think that IS a problem. And I know of no other group than HARA which could address the issues involved.

It was not intended as a comment about the "Master" album that won. Like everyone else, I want to congratulate all involved. Slack kep "Masters" do deserve more recognition than they get. And I'm personally thankful that Dan Ho is creating CDs that focus on slack key.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  12:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria
Voting in the Hawaiian Music category of the Grammys is done only by those within the Folk Music category of the Grammys...fewer than 1,000 people this year, most of whom know little or nothing about Hawaiian music.

Bingo - that's the problem right there. It's the same issue we went through when they added "Best Native American Album" to the Folk field a few years ago. NARAS voters can not vote on every single award - we have to choose a specific number of "fields" to vote in, and if you want to vote for Hawaiian Album, then the Folk field is one of your choices. Besides those two, Folk also includes Best Traditional Folk Album & Best Contemporary Folk Album - the latter category often seeing releases by "folks" like Johnny Cash & Bruce Springsteen!

Would it be better to have Hawaiian and Native American in the World Music field, along with the two categories that are already there (again, Traditional & Contemporary)? Maybe ... but don't expect that change to occur any time soon.

Part of the problem I see is that there needs to be more representation from Hawai`i in NARAS, as part of the Pacific Northwest Chapter. There are only about 100 Island-based members of NARAS; how many HARA members are there? Most of them could easily qualify for NARAS membership as well - we said that last year, too, but little has changed.

Why aren't more HARA members joining NARAS?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Can't speak for them, 'cause I am a member, but I would guess that it's probably because the fees are a bit high and there are practically no other benefits than competing for a Grammy and voting for one. If voting is not a big issue and if you don't think you're gonna be making an album that fits the criterea, why shell out the bucks?

BTW, I agree with that "world" designation. Dumb move to put Hawaiian in "folk" category.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  3:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

probably because the fees are a bit high and there are practically no other benefits than competing for a Grammy and voting for one.

$100/year (less, if you renew for more than a year at a time) - easily made up in the discounts for magazines and other benefits, including workshops...and there have been some in the Islands, as the PacNW chapter has really stretched out its hand to include Hawai`i's musicians in the past several years.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000