Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 HAPA Santa Cruz
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  06:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Any other TaroPatchers go last night?

I have a staff meeting in a couple mins. So an updater later....but....WOW !!

The boys have the band back together! Really good show, great energy.

Cheers
Cmdr 'Who? Barry Flanagan? Yeah, I can play that' Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  11:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message
Aloha.. I was there at the Rio last night... probably the best live bass solo I have ever seen, wow. Barry was amazing of course, he was getting harmonics everywhere on that neck. He was also bending the heck out of his neck, bending pitch, some really cool stuff, but of course if any of us would do that we'd crack our guitars in half.. I asked him after the show about his guitar cuz Dennis Kamakahi told me a little bit about it. Barry explained that he has a basic $299 Washburn body and like a $10,000 neck.. the body is obviously very sturdy so it can handle all of that neck bending... Nathan's voice was dynamite as well.. hard to believe that much sound can come from two people.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  10:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Neck bending???

Mahalo for an explanation.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  10:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Slight downward pressure on the top bout....slight upward pressure on the back of the headstock.........viola!
Has the effect of taking tension off of the strings giving a 'bending' effect.

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Across all ringing strings vice the one a finger is bending. Very nice ending to some songs.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  09:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message
yes, almost like a tremolo system on an electric guitar, but obviously we can only get our standard necks to change pitch slightly.. I don't even do it with my guitar, I'm scared that I'd crack something or loosen some glue.. who knows, but Barry was really bringing those notes up in pitch.. it was a very nice touch...
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:22:08 PM  Show Profile
So ya know....

The neck on most if not any standard guitar is perfectly suited to doing these bends. Barry didn't have a custom neck put on so he could bend it. The original Washburn neck was most likely just worn out. You can only re-fret and shape so many times. That said, I've no doubt that Steve Grimes put on a really reinforced neck, cause Mr. Flanagan like those bendy parts.

I guess the point of this rant is you don't need special equipment to do it. When I saw HAPA in 99, it still had the original neck. (the original Washburn has a moderate 'V' in the top of the headstock)

You need only a tiny amount of pressure to effect the bend. Tiny. Coupled with the fact that Barry always plays live (HAPA) with substantial echo/delay, the sound is augmented greatly. The bend is for decreasing pitch. The other thing he is doing is harmonics, 12,7th, and 5 fret, then pushing the string above the nut on the headstock. Kinda like a Texas B bender only reversed. This increases the pitch. Fine examples of this are the 2nd and 4th verses of 'Justin's Lullabye'

I'd encourage folks to experiment with these techniques. Theyre quite fun.

Cheers,

Mike

Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message
Originally, an advanced Slack Key'er educated, informed and enlightened me (sounds like PBS) about the Grimes factor with Barry's guitar. He specifically mentioned the ability to get harmonics on many more areas than just the typical 12, 7, 5 range.. so I brought it up with Barry on Tuesday and he gave quite a bit of praise and credit to that neck... I believe that he was exaggerating a bit about the $10,000 price tag, but who knows.. also, I saw him getting crystal clear 3rd fret harmonics.. not to mention the other harmonic technique which is the official name escapes me right now, but basically you pick a note with your right hand pinky while softly touching the string with your right index finger, giving it a harmonic effect.. it can be beautiful if you get smooth with it.. try picking some chords with that style.. index finger will be 12 frets higher than the note... at least thats the easiest way for me. my Takamine definately won't bend pitch easily though my Ibanez is a bit friendlier for that... helps that it is an electric. I wasn't trying to take anything away from Barry's playing, he is definately incredible, but having that neck sure helps out.. even Barry himself agrees. Shoot, I wish I could play it. Oh, has anyone else heard him doe the steel drum sound on his guitar?
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I forgot to mention... Barry could play a $99 and I could play his guitar and he'd still make me run out of the room crying with envy...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000