Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Open Mike 03.08.06 @ L&Ls Oceanside ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  07:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Rik/Dusty/Bill,
Is the Open Mike next week? Anyone up for a duet?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  09:09:03 AM  Show Profile
I sure hope so! I working on more songs and planning on the open mic.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  07:56:14 AM  Show Profile
Just confirmed with Rik last night that next Wednesday evening is a go. Keith will not be there; on a road trip to China.

Bill,
I forgot to pick up a plumeria cutting or two from Nancy last weekend. (It was dark, my hands were full, and I have hereafter syndrome). Do you have any left? We assume you will bring the amp. I will bring my voice mike and stand.

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  09:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi mika`ele

not china - that's later in the year. this trip is to the cook islands =)

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  12:24:50 PM  Show Profile
I wonder what kind of unique instrument you might find there?

I found an instrument in Aotearoa that sounds kind of like a BIG BUG when you twirl it in the air. It is called a purerehua or "bull-roarer". It is a semi-flat, semi-shell shaped piece of wood that is carved with the koru designs and attatched to a long leather string. When you spin it at the end of the string over your head (like a lassoo), the piece of wood spins at the end of the string and articulates the air around it like the beating of wings. I went out in the back yard once and tried it out -- only to hear my older daughter's tree frog "Yoda" start croaking like mad inside the house. . . (I think he got hungry) . . I'm trying to think of a way to work it into an open mike night. . . . I know, I'll play Keola's Makika or GK's Mauna Kea Mosquito and add it in . .

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  06:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike -
Which cuttings do you want? All the trees except the dwarf are big enough to cut plenty more.
I had cerise (small pinkish red, blooms a bit later, prolific), celadine (common Hawai'ian fragrant white and yellow) and white shell (again, prolific, heavy scent, does NOT open all the way - looks like a candy cane, when strung for lei, looks like shells). I might be able to get a cutting from John Dietz of the dwarf if you had your heart set on it.
Anyone coming up to Island Legends?? He's going out of business so everything's on sale... too bad.....
Hope to see y'all soon again - not sure about Wed -
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  1:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
Mike,

We have a plethora of plumeria. Vicki potted them all up -- I'm not sure which ones we have but if you give me a couple to look for I'll see if I can find 'em.

I'll be there with the amp.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  4:00:01 PM  Show Profile
I was looking for the white shell ones. I have may others in my back yard as well.

Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  1:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bill, I forgot my fleece top at your place...could you bring it to the next L&L for me?? (also any left over of Vic's lemon bars. ha ha)
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  12:56:07 PM  Show Profile
I think there were a number of white shell left over. Lucky you that Vicki potted them for you! I don't think I'll be there on Wednesday, but hafta tell Dusty that my roommates and family are sorry I didn't bring all the tangerines and oranges home. What a hit!! I sure wish they didn't give me giant hives. Still hoping you'll plant a mango tree.... hee hee....
Anyway - anyone needing more cuttings, just let me know.
Aloha!!
n
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  1:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
OK, so I'm bringing

1.) Guitar
2.) Amp
3.) Rik's soft fleecy thingy
4.) White shell plumeria for Mike

Hope I can remember all of it.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:49:26 AM  Show Profile
HOLD THE PRESSES
****XXXX CANX XXXX****

I just got an urgent phone call from Rik. The management for L&Ls has been sold and the stage is gone. Open Mike for tonight is cancelled. We will have to look for a new venue or work out a new agreement with the new management for later on. I'll try and call those I have numbers for.

Looks like Kanikapizza instead at Today's Pizza in Encinitas off of Santa Fe Road tonight 1800-2100 -- bring your ukuleles.

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  2:52:35 PM  Show Profile

Yikes!

yooze southerners are going thru the same venue
problems as us South SF Bay folks - good luck to you!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  11:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi guys - i hope it worked out well? maybe we should just find a park to play at on some saturday or sunday.

it's great out here in rarotonga. you can tell the ukarere players because of their huge right arms - they strum like crazy!

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1020 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  06:17:19 AM  Show Profile
yo keith, or more appropriately, kia orana keith,
Where you staying?
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  4:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
e terry, kia orana! we're out on muri beach on rarotonga. the snorkling, lagoon walking, and general being a bum is great. i've tried playing the local version of a uke (actually, a tahitian uke) and it's way different. you strum fast and put in interesting rhythyms, like being percussion as well.

in two days we hele over to aitutaki where they say - hard to believe - that life is even slower.

aro`a,
keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000