Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 seek counsel on re-stringing old taropatch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  9:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Mid-'20s Style 1 Martin, friction pegs, [delightful] recent acquisition. VGC. Just rec'd Nylgut 8-str set w/wound low G & octave["normal"] G in the mail.

1) Currently has all 4 courses doubled [i.e. 2 high Gs] - anyone think of a reason I shouldn't go with the low G/hi G pair? I anticipate more melodic options w/low G configuration, but no expert. Had a Martin tiple, but never did much more than strum it due to octave-jumping nature of attempted melody lines/fills, so it lay fallow, eventually went to a better home.

2) Any special tricks/tips to re-stringing? I've a few older ukes, but this is a}my 1st taropatch b}my 1st friction-peg instrument.

Mahalo in advance for any insight.

Edited by - basilking on 03/04/2006 9:22:57 PM

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  5:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There's no reason why you can't switch to a low G string, but I think it should be a wound string because the non-wound options are rather floppy. You may end up experimenting to find the right string. Does your current string set have a low A? That's another option to add a bassier sound.
You shouldn't have any problem with the friction pegs because nylon string tension is much lower than that on your tiple. But if you do, you'll have to make a tough decision to replace original equipment on an 80-year-old instrument and risk decreasing its value.
Jesse Tinsley
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile
The G pair in the set I got from Roy Cone has one that's wound. I'm not worried about tension, just wondered about any tricks to the task that make it easier.

Thx for yr response Jesse - I'm just gonna jump in & do it. No need/desire to change tuners - they work as well as one could expect, hold tune as currently strung, and are orig to the instrument. Anticipating some string stretch-in time, but excited to get this new [to me] instrument into gear. BTW, got an OUTSTANDING gig bag made by Ritter, meant for a mandolin, but fits this instrument perfectly, quite well-made & rugged, $24.95! The pillow case it was living in will stay with it, inside the Ritter...
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  9:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Update - Aquila Nylgut set has octave pairs for both G and C courses. One can run a melody across all four courses, 12-str-like, as well as strum with slight braguinha/cavaquinho/tiple inflection. I'm in 8-string heaven!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000