Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Nahenahe.net podcast went all Hawaiian on 2/22/06
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  7:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Do you guys listen to podcasts? I periodically check them out online but don't take full advantage since I do not own an iPod.

I'm a little late but just read that Keola Donaghy made the decision to make his podcast 100% Hawaiian language. I think it's great but will personally miss the info I learned from his show. Anyone else listen to his podcast and have any thoughts to share?

BTW, I posted some links to podcasts here. Any other good podcast that you think I should add?

Andy

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  06:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
It does seem like a strange move because of all the mainland listeners. But he doesn't do the podcast as part of the marketing strategy for the music he plays and talks about, so I guess his motivation is about cultural advancement. I listened several times and enjoyed it, but he constantly made an issue of the language--not being spoken, Hawaiians not knowing it, words and pronunciations mistakes. I wish he had chosen to make the podcasts in English with Hawaiian language education rather than in Hawaiian only.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 03/07/2006 5:15:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  06:33:15 AM  Show Profile
I have been listening to the nahenahe.net podcast since it began. It is the only one I listen to faithfully, although I do subscribe to several others. I realize that I am probably in the minority, but I think the Hawaiian language podcast is kind of cool. I certainly am not able to follow everything that is said, but the format is the same as previous podcasts (Hawaiian music and news relating to the music and artists). Keola has always had a brief summary available on his blog, so I think that the info is still there to be learned: I hear him say the name Brittni Paiva and then hear some kickin' 'ukulele, so I click on the Brittni Paiva link in his summary and learn more about her (assuming I didn't already know how very cool she is )

For the most recent podcast, he made a fairly extensive translation/summary available, but I don't know if he is going to continue to make the effort to do that in the future (he's a busy guy!), or if it was just a way to help ease the transition.

Keola has posted that the decision was not made lightly, but that he wanted to have a podcast where the Hawaiian language could "live in a contemporary context". As a student, I treasure it as a great resource for spoken Hawaiian. As a fan of the music, I think there is a great deal to learn from it regardless of language - the music speaks for itself.

me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  09:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Keep in mind that Keola is a professor of Hawai'ian language for UH. His specialty is Hawai'ian Music and Chant.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  2:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
...and remember that there is no need to put an `okina in the word "Hawaiian," as it is an English word, not a Hawaiian one.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Keola began learning Hawaiian when his daughter, Malia, was accepted to the Punana Leo School -- parents are required to learn the language and speak it as much as possible with their child. He and another member of our early online "cyber `ohana" used to commisserate on alt.music.hawaiian about how difficult it was to study, work, _and_ parent.

It's been a joy watching his interest grow into what has now become a true passion for the language. Not yet a professor, but he is indeed an instructor at UH-Hilo -- with plans to go for his doctorate ASAP.

BTW, young Malia is now in high school. Yiiiiiikes, where do the years go????

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  5:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I didn't mean any disrespect to Keola, who works very hard to tackle tough issues of culture, sovereignty and everyday life with his blog. I've read it off and on for the last two or three years. And I have listened to part of one all-Hawaiian language podcast.
Like a lot of people here, Hawaiian language is a hobby and I enjoy hearing it spoken, but the language itself is so dense with meaning (common words have several disparate translations) that even if I can get a handle on vocabulary, mastering the grammar and deciphering it at normal speed seems very far off.
It was a treat to hear Ku'ulei and Evalani Palakiko, instructors at George K's camp on Maui, speaking the Hawaiian language with their children and among themselves. It's not a dead language, but many of us mainland Hawaiians are far removed from whomever last spoke the language in our 'ohana.
E ola ka 'olelo!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  5:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Gregg -
I didn't realize no okina in Hawaiian so have been trying to properly put it in. Does it belong in Hawaii?
n
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  07:32:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Mahalo Gregg -
I didn't realize no okina in Hawaiian so have been trying to properly put it in. Does it belong in Hawaii?
n

Yes, Auntie, because Hawai'i is a word that we get from the Hawaiian language. "Hawaiian" is an English word used to refer to things relating to Hawai'i. I made that same mistake for years before I realized it was incorrect!

me ke aloha,

Debbie

Edited by - islandboo on 03/08/2006 07:33:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000