Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Subwoofer has entered my world, not for the better
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:46:16 AM  Show Profile
I just purchased a Teac CD-X9, which is an ultra slim /compact CD player, speakers plus powered subwoofer. Suddenly, I'm hearing way more bass than ever before. There is no way to turn off the subwoofer as it provides the power to the entire system. In particular, Darlene Ahuna's Bridging the Generations CD has become difficult to listen to, as though some souped up car just pulled along side of me. The bass is so loud and separated from the rest of the music (even with the bass at its lowest level). Most other CD's seem better "balanced" and quite nice.

Has anyone else had this experience with new equipment? I don't know if it's my hearing, my expectations or if there's a whole new role of "the bass" that I'm not prepared for. Or, if it's just this particular CD that had a badly applied track.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  09:10:13 AM  Show Profile
I know nothing about the Teac CD-x9, Lynn, but I do have a question preceded by a statement. The answer will help you decide if it is the device's fault or the CD's fault.

Statement: a good subwoofer will not give any indication of its placement. The frequencies it *should* handle are not directional or localizable.

Question: If you place the subwoofer in various places and close your eyes, can you detect where the sound is coming from? If you can, it is the device's fault.

OK, I lied. More statements. There are ways to minimize the effect of bass generators by placing them away from walls and, especially, room corners.

Also, you could throw a rug over it:-)

Lastly, if most CDs sound good, but one doesn't... almost QED.

Good luck,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile
I've had the same problem - those units seem to be made for kids who blast rap, etc. I just took the unit back to Circuit City and got something that worked better.
(BTW, I took 2 cd's with me the second time - got a much better fit by playing the music I like before I bought.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  07:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
One great use for a subwoofer...
I play my Kona Walkingstick through a Yamaha YST SW50, and the sound is absolutely delicious! If you have a subwoofer laying around unused, consider taking up the bass!

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Aloha -
When I had problems with other TEAC equipment I called them directly and got a very user-friendly techie on the phone with all the help I needed. Always worth a try if you haven't taken it back yet.
n
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
If you have a subwoofer laying around unused, consider taking up the bass!
Would'nt ya know it! Konabob has sucumbed to his baser instincts and taken the low-road!

Seriously - These cheap CD players don't pretend to have good (i.e. - flat) reponse anymore, and yes, they are tilted toward boomy mid-bass (80 to 120 Hz). Sounds like a unit I saw at costco the other day. I bought a diffeent Teac Unit and returned it the next day. (It made a relatively loud squealing sound as the disc spun). Usuually there is a button that does limited EQ by selecting differing "sound emphasis choices" (my words), such as "jazz", "classical", "pop", etc. One of those settings will give you less bass, try them on you preferred test disc on your unit.

Otherwise, take'em back!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  08:00:19 AM  Show Profile
You guessed it .. we bought it at Costco. Not a lot of choices for vendors on the Big Island, but there are other compensations!! Good idea .. I'll take it through those "choices", using the Darlene Ahuna CD which currently is having the biggest problem, having turned into a thump thump thump bass.

Don't think I'll take it back as it's a 2 hour drive to get there from Hilo. If it doesn't get better, I'll give it to a young friend who loves that kind a sound.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000