Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Pau`ole a ka Makemake - 9 Oct 2002
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  5:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The title means "An Evening to Remember" and the show lived up to its name. It was held in San Francisco. You can see the web site at http://www.kukuikapono.com/ at least for a little while.

We began with a supper of island delicacies, followed by an exchange of gifts and greetings between representatives of the local Indian peoples of the SF Bay Area and the Hawaiian people.

The first performer was Cody Pueo Pata with his group Kapule. This is a trio of ukulele, guitar, and stand up bass, and they rared back and whipped the changalang on us. Cody has a magnetic, slightly acidic stage presence, the group was way tight, the vocals sweet.

The part of the evening I may remember most was a presentation of one dance by Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu and his troupe from the Academy of Hawaiian Arts. Oh my, this guy is taking hula and chant to a new place. I can imagine that he is causing controversy in the community, because he's adding modern influences to the rhythm, chant melody, and hula. The dancers, for instance, included some moves that seemed similar to martial arts. I'm way far from an expert on hula and chant, but everyone I spoke with agreed that this was something new. It was also very exciting.

Owana Salazar did a few numbers next. Her slack key style is quite a ways from the nahenahe that we're used to, and she used it mostly to accompany her singing, with occasional instrumental breaks. And the tone of her Taylor through the PA was not very sweet, so it was kind of distracting. Her singing was lovely.

Somehow Ledward got the short end of the time available. The presentations and introductions and encores that came earlier seemed to subtract from the time available for his segment, so he did what seemed like 15 minutes of his usual tremendous guitar and vocals. He included "Radio Hula," "Kuu Ipo Onaona," and "I Kona" so I was happy. He also did three numbers on the autoharp, which was interesting but perhaps a bit loud and jangly and maybe two tunes too many (did I really just criticize my hero????).

The show ended with Led on vocals and guitar and Owana on steel guitar. She's a student of Jerry Byrd and now a teacher of steel, and she demonstrated a nice touch. This may have been the first time I've seen a performance that included steel, and it added to the island feel.

Led and Owana are continuing their tour across the country, so check them out. Naturally you can see get the schedule at www.mele.com.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  3:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Great review, Fran! Led and Owana have had very few performances together prior to this tour, so I'm glad all is going well for them. And lucky you to hear Pueo -- a native American, who has adopted Hawai`i as his second home (Maui, to be more specific) whenever he's not on the mainland.

As for Mark's "out there" hula, the San Francisco Bay area has another kumu hula who has been known for pushing the hula envelope for quite awhile now -- and you're in luck, as his halau will be staging their annual performances this weekend in San Francisco. Check the listings
for the awesome Patrick Makuakane and his award-winningNa Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu here:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~halkop/events.html

Go to the show *not* expecting traditional hula, and you will be astounded by this halau's interpretation of hula. Their shows are typcially sold out, but you might get lucky and be able to snag a last-minute ticket!

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  9:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like one great concert event! Wish they'd bring them out here in the East!
Mark Ho'omalu has indeed generated a lot of controversy in the hula community, but, he was invited to the Merrie Monarch festival -- we saw him and his halau perform there -- so although he is definitely "pushing the envelope" as Auntie Maria says, he also is held in great esteem by many.
My personal observation is that it is almost as if he were on a "ninth island of Hawai'i" -- creating another strain of hula, different but with roots.

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  11:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

As for Mark's "out there" hula, the San Francisco Bay area has another kumu hula who has been known for pushing the hula envelope for quite awhile now -- and you're in luck, as his halau will be staging their annual performances this weekend in San Francisco. Check the listings
for the awesome Patrick Makuakane and his award-winningNa Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu here:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~halkop/events.html
-- auntie maria

Ooops, by the time I read this the show was over. But on this same page is the event I'll be playing at this weekend - Na Mamo No‘eau presents "E Kokua Kakou -- Let's Help" - I'll be doing ki ho`alu in the lobby before each performance. Gotta go practice!

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  3:35:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry...wasn't watching the dates on that particular announcement. Bookmark Hal Kop's calendar; Patrick's halau may be doing another performance in the SF Bay area later this year, or early next.

And just a clarification -- the kumu hula to whom I was referring as "pushing the envelope" of hula, was Patrick Makuakane. Until recently, Mark Ho`omalu's teachings of kahiko were semi-standard. Subject to discussion yes, but not really controversial. Ah, how things seem to have changed! :-)

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Judy
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile
imomi[quote]Originally posted by Sarah

Sounds like one great concert event! Wish they'd bring them out here in the East!

Ledward IS coming East, Sarah. He's in Chicago today, Minneapolis again tomorrow, then to Barns of Wolftrap in Vienna VA Wednesday and Thursday, Sommerville MA Saturday, and Symphony Space, NY on Sunday.
Catch him while you can!

For details see www.mele.com or www.LedKaapana.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000