Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 MiniDisc Recorder
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  10:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I just listed my almost new Sony MiniDisc recorder on e-bay. Perhaps someone would like to snap it up? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5880550196

Andy- sorry about posting this here, but the Classifieds seems to be pretty generally ignored.

Mark

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  07:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Mark -- what did you decide to use? I've had a miniDisc that I've never gotten into because of the poor digital interface to my PC. (Thank you Sony)

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The PC (and Mac) interface problems have been resolved with the latest models. Mark, did you see the one Sony just announced (MZ-RH1), designed specifically for recording live music?!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 03/15/2006 08:35:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  3:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

I bought the M-Audio microtrack that I reviewed. It ain't perfect, but it works fine for me. I would not recommend it for someone who doesn't have a fair amount of recording experience, tho'. You kinda need to know how to work around, ummm, quirks.

BTW: I expect to be reviewing both the new Edirol R09 and one of the new Sony MiniDiscs in the future.

In the meantime, someone is going to get a steal on my Sony MZ N10!!! Oy. If a TPer buys it, I'll throw in reference discs I made of The Water is Wide and Mohala Hou.

Onward!
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  7:05:38 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
Were there any improved software / procedures for the older Sony MZ N10? Or is it just that one needs to buy a newer model?

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  09:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Craig
Mac user here; i checked the website for MZ-RH1 but i don;t understand the technical jargon. I am going to a guitar camp for a week. I want to record the sessions. I own an iPod and have seen several discussions in the past about using them for recording,l but i have no idea how to do that or if it is even a good way to record live stuff. So, with the Sony, or the iPod, do you need external mics? How much data (how long a session) can it record and hold, would either hold several hours of material? How do i get to replay either of these so i can review the material, play along, delete, record onto a disc.
Or, is there a better way altogether for recording these sessions?
thanks in advance

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  1:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Uncle Karl!!
go buy an iTalk to go with your iPod - it's under $30, very tiny, plugs into the top of the iPod... I'll send you a sample from our kanikapila yesterday.
Hugs!
n
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  2:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
BTW: I expect to be reviewing both the new Edirol R09 and one of the new Sony MiniDiscs in the future.

I just turned in my review of the Edirol R-09 recorder. It won't go "live" for a few weeks, so in the meantime, here's a quick synopsis:

Good:

Easy to use. Make that extremely easy to use.
Great Battery Life with AA batteries.
Internal mics are OK for grabbing tunes.
Good file maintainence -- naming, copying, etc.
Records MP3 (most rez) and 16- and 24- bit 44.1 & 48 kHz WAV.
Compatable with most external mini mics (1/8" input w/ power)
USB upload/download is simple.

Not so good

No wind screen for internal mics
Pristine it ain't.

Bottom line:

I like it a lot. Worth checking out if you have an external mic for outdoor recording. With a 2 gig card and a high rez (320 kbps) MP3, you get 800 minutes of recording. Batteries last at least 4 hours -- I tested to failure and got 7 hours of near continuous recording!

RE: iPod recording. It works. Recording time is based on size of hard disc and type of recording. New video iPod can record at 16/44.1, so figure 10 megs per minute.

What I've heard has been pretty lo fi, but $30 is $30.

Edited by - Mark on 08/20/2006 2:19:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  06:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Nancy and Mark,
Thanks
Where does one pick up the Edirol?
We have a mac store in town that may have the iTalk

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  08:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Mark, when you say "Pristine it ain't", do you mean recorded sound through the internal mics, played back sound directly from it, or something different than that ?
Any deal breakers?

BTW, It is very nice that it uses SD cards, as that is what we have bunches of because they are used in Nikon's SLRs (and lots of other newer cameras). They are super reliable and getting bigger and cheaper. Also, we got a couple of tiny $9 SD card -> USB 2.0 readers from Newegg, so it is not really required to directly input from the Edirol; you just pop out a filled card and pop in an empty one. Then Xfer to computer later.

Sweetwater has it for $399 and here are some first user reviews:

It might just be that this is finally the device to have.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R09/reviews/#anchor

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Mark, when you say "Pristine it ain't", do you mean recorded sound through the internal mics, played back sound directly from it, or something different than that ?
Any deal breakers?

The internal mics are on the par with most inexpensive mini-mics -- not exactly audiophile. Ditto the mic pres. So, is it noisy? No more so than any other inexpensive field recorder I've heard -- but I'm willing to bet someone will crank the inputs and declare it too noisy to use! It sounds a hecuvalot better than my ancient cassette!

If you can hang out till the review is up online, you can hear for yourself.

Should you buy one? I can't say. If you like your mini disc, stay with that. If you like your MicroTrack, stay with that. If you don't have either and want a new recorder, check it out and see if it works for you.

M
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:47:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mark. Sure, I can hang on: I've been hanging on for years. Let us know the URL.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000