Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 FX Box
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  07:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey there -

I just picked up a Yamaha MagicStomp Acoustic effects box to try out. Although editing patches is a bear (the included Editor/Librarian software won't work reliably with OS 10 running "classic" -- thanx Yamaha, what century is this again????) it's just about the best-sounding acoustic FX box I've ever heard.

Right out of the box it's got a pile of presets with different kinds of mic modeling, modest compression, surprisingly tasteful effects and decent EQ -- surely something will work with just about any guitar + pick-up combination you can think of. Even without my SansAmp DI, this thing took care of the piezo honk and gave me a very useful guitar tone direct from the Highlander mounted in my Taylor. Impressed me, and I'm not easily impressed.

Here's the good part -- once you dig inside, it's got all of the algorithms from the MagicStomp II -- so you can dial in lots of fuzz and flange for that heavy-metal slack key song -- plus those from the Bass version.

Plus -- and this is a very big plus -- you get tons of effects ported over from Yamaha's SPX studio effects processors.

I'm in the process of setting up bunches of patches for different situations:

10 Acoustic guitar settings for each of my guitars. Dry, various amounts of delay, various amounts of chorus, 'verb, etc.

Ditto a bank of presets for my `ukulele; ditto for El Guit (studio-speak for electric guitar). And piles of just FX patches, so I can forgo the tone shaping and use the puppy in an FX loop.

Since I bought it from the local mega-store, I've got 30 days to check it out. I've got a luau gig tomorow, I'll report back after I see how it sounds in the real world -- always 'way different from the studio.

I know lots of folks are curious about FX, hence this long post. Anyone else had any experience with this puppy?

BTW: Usual disclaimers. I don't work for Yamaha, any music retailer, blah, blah, blah. I paid $149 -- if you can find one, you can get the MagicStomp II for $79 right now, and simply reload the 99 user patches with ones apropriate to acoustic guitar.

cheers!

Mark

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  07:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Will it supply missing bass notes when my thumb gets lazy??

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Will it supply missing bass notes when my thumb gets lazy??

Yep. It's called "delay" -- the secret to many a seemingly impossible guitar solo.

OK, just got back from a gig. It worked very well, but I'm glad I spent a lot of time setting up variations of the basic patches I wanted to use. Sometimes I needs the patch with less FX, sometimes the wetter one sounded better.

I used it in the FX loop of my DI (not all DIs have this feature). The tuner didn't function very well in this config -- but it did mute the out put when engaged, so I could use my intellitouch tuner without making the audience listen.

I liked having hands on control via the 3 knobs -- I set 'em to handle EQ in most patches, or trebla and bass plus FX depth in others. Volume is always active.

Changing patches when playing temporarily mutes the output -- not cool, but not unexpected. The trick is to plan your FX changes when you are playing (just like with electric guitar, as any weekend warrior knows.)

Each patch I set up had identical mic modeling, EQ & compression, so variations were just in types and amounts of ambience: delay, chorus & verbs.

I'd also set up a bunch of backup patches with no modeling, comp or EQ -- just verbs. They also sounded good -- though it was more like the basic DI sound plus a bit of FX. I liked the tone of the mic modeling, etc quite a bit more -- at least for this out door gig with this (very good) PA.

I tho't it added a nice bit of texture, without overpowering stuff, and the compression helped put the guitar in front of the mix. My buddy liked the sound, too, and he's an acoustic purist.

I plan on keeping it.

Now if I can only find something to help my voice...

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  05:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
quote:
I used it in the FX loop of my DI (not all DIs have this feature).

quote:
I liked the tone of the mic modeling, etc quite a bit more -- at least for this out door gig with this (very good) PA.

Mark, can you tell us your complete signal chain, including pa?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  07:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Mark, can you tell us your complete signal chain, including pa?

Umm, I did: "I used it in the FX loop of my DI (not all DIs have this feature)."

What that means is that the guitar goes into the DI, which goes into the PA. So the FX is inserted into the DI via the effects loop.

Here's some more detail:

1/4" out from guitar plugs into 1/4" input on DI. XLR out put from DI plugs into XLR input on PA (with phantom power back to DI.) So far, this is your typical set-up for taking a hi Z signal into a PA.

FX loop: 1/4" loop out of DI to input of FX box. 1/4" mono out from FX into 1'4" loop in on DI. This inserts the FX into the XLR output of the DI, so the PA receives the effected signal. If I want just the dry guitar, I turn the FX off (without muting the signal.)

That make sense?

As I said, most DI won't have an FX loop, so you'd have to come up with a different routing. Typically you run it in series: guitar-FX-DI-PA.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Sorry bout that. I meant, what make/model/brand DI are you using and what make/model of PA did you use?

Darin
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Oh. That signal path!

DI is a Sana Amp Acoustic DI. No longer made, I'm afraid. It has very effective tone shaping via 3 band semi-parmetric EQ -- mid band is sweepable, plus tube emulation -- fuzz, in other words. A little goes a long way. Or you can use it as a passive DI.

PA belongs to another guy. New Yamaha powered board -- no clue which one. 8 mono and 2 stereo channels, maybe 300 watts a side. Into a pair of Community two way cabs. Ran the guitar channel totally flat -- so all tone shaping came from my end.

Very good little set-up for acoustic music.

Guitar is a Jerry Nolte steel string with a Highlander system. So the guitar already has a preamp built in.

How's that?
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  1:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Excellent! That's very helpful. I was curious what you were using in addition to the magicstomp. I've also been mulling pa choices recently. Thanks for the help!

Darin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000