Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 The Pikasso
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  06:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage

Double neck guitars are old hat, so make way for the Pikasso, a 42-sting guitar that was borne out of a challenge to make a guitar with "as many strings as possible." The guitar has four necks and two sound holes, plus enough pizzaz to wow even the most "woe-is-me" emo kid on the block. Interestingly, the guitar makes use of a design element called "the wedge," which tapers the size of the guitar so that it's thinnest where it presses up against the guitarist's body. This gives the guitarist a better look at the fret board so he knows what he's doing. I'm sure that once you've gotten the hang of playing a 42-stinged, four-necked guitar you can probably pick and a play your counterfeit Les Paul like a pro.

The Pikasso, which took two years, or some 1,000 man-hours to build, can actually be heard on a number of recordings by Pat Metheny. Apparently, he's pretty good.

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  09:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Actually, Sarah and I talked to the luthier who made that, Linda Manzer, and we played her more usual guitars guitars at Newport Guitar Fest a couple of weeks ago.

And, yes, Pat Metheny is more than pretty good.

Manzer invented the wedge shaped guitar (for ergonomic reasons - it fits under the right arm in a very comfy way), but never patented it or anything, but did TM the name. Now that so many luthiers copy her, nobody knows that she did it first. She has so many orders that she hasn't been taking any new ones for a couple of years, but she said that she would open her list in another year or 2. Her guitars cost lots, BTW.

Her guitars are really made for pros. You have to work at getting the 6th string to sound out, for instance, because guys like Metheny work hard with their right hands getting the sounds they want. While we were talking to her after bringing one of her guitars back to her table, a guy I know, who owns a high end guitar shop, and was wooing Manzer to represent her (he spent over an hour with her) took the guitar out of my hands and beat the heck out of it and it sounded fine. He used to have a pro guitar/singing act with his wife and *was* a pro. In particular, he used the entire side of his right thumb to make the 6th string move about a half inch. I guess that is the way you gotta do it.

Her web site is:

http://www.manzer.com/

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000