Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Top Tuning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  05:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a publication or web site describing the process of scalloping braces to tune a guitar top to another frequency? I was told that it could be lowered a half step to improve the tone of the 6th string in slack key tunings.
Thanks
Bob

Bob

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  07:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Where did you hear that? I have hung out with, and talked a lot with, quite a few good luthiers, and while some of them scallop braces significantly, none of them has ever done that to tune a guitar to another "frequency". They use finger planes after a top has been put on to tune the volume/response of a particular frequency range (mostly by shaving the braces near the bridge plate). But, the frequency (or frequencies) is not changed.

Making the sound hole larger or smaller can change the relative amplitude of a range, too. Smaller holes accentuate bass response.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile
I did mean the response to a lower frequency. I talked (telephone) with a well known luthier from NY. He said it was possible to make a guitar respond better to alternate tunings with low C, by "tuning" the top a half step lower. For all I know he may have hung up slapping his leg and having a good laugh with the his co-workers, but I buy into the concept :)

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  2:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Reid -

Put your physics hat on. A guitar top behaves like a bendable piston. The outer edges of the top where it attaches to the guitar sides behave like a spring. The already existing scalloping of the braces increase this effect. If you thin the scalloping or the top (or both) near the sides it will reduce the spring constant of this area. This will, in-turn, lower the first self-resonant frequency of the top, causing a greater motion at the lowest frequencies.

Whether you can scape off enough material to lower the "tap tone" a half step remains a question. AND, even if you can, the strength of the top will be reduced and the instrument will be more delicate and the (inevitable) buldging of the top due to string tension will accelerate.

My conclusions from first principles are:

......1) Yes, you can do this and it WILL WORK to some extent.

and..2) You may not want to!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/25/2006 2:16:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  3:56:42 PM  Show Profile
Since reading your first question, I did think more about if a top could be "tuned" or not and decided that it could. Now, after your second response, I agree that it may make the guitar more fragile and I may not go that route. I am especially convinced that I should not attempt to do it. An experinced luthier might be able to change the response without weakening the guitar, but it seems more likely that it would to some degree.
My three classical guitars have excellent tone and volume with the 6th tuned to C (in F Wahine).
Thanks for offering the comments.
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  04:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

What you say is correct for a tap tone (a tap contains a lot of frequencies) or a response to excitation, in general. In actual playing, the *string* produces the frequency. Then the top will respond (resonate) to a greater or lesser extent depending on the parameters you describe. What you said is just another (and more exact way) of saying what I did when I wrote: "tune the volume/response of a particular frequency range (mostly by shaving the braces near the bridge plate)".

We are talking past one another.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  12:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I had the same feeling, but it all came out in the end. I understood your expainations and points of view.
Off the subject: A very unususal choice for a member picture...maginifying glasses? I enjoyed it! I am a mechanical designer by the way.

Thanks again
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000